mind they are in the states, freight there and back etc etc and the
chance I will have to pay for everything if they refuse warranty and
run the risk of not seeing the motor for over a month

or

B:- Cut my losses and order a new piston and sleeve set from Stromer
Hobbies for 70 australian dollars and have it on my doorstep in ten
days or so ??

Im really realy p*%#ed off and dissapointed with fantoms "quality control "

So anyway what are your thoughts, option A or B ?

Dan

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I would try A, im going to wait till we can get the 28 piston and sleve for rebuilding. The first thing i do with every motor is licktite the backplate and pullstart. I dont know how this would cause it to loose compression though. But i would be pissed of too. Theres nothing worse than having a stuffed new motor
. I havn't had the glow plug problem, i have only gone through the plug that came with it(cheap crap). Sounds like there is a major issue with yours. Have you stripped it down to look for scratches on the bore incase there were metal shavingls left in from manufacture?(its happened before
)

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
what plugs were you using? Do they still have the element in them? Its possible the element has fallen into the engine and caused the loss of compression, ive heard of this happen to a few people.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the response husky,

I am going to ring fantom direct ( Ive heard they are pretty good at
dodging emails ) and if I get no joy there I will just buy a piston and
sleeve.

I was using OS8's and I also tried a few A3's.

Yeah, Im pretty bloody mad but I guess these things happen.

Hopefully fantom will come to the party but Im not holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
First thing i would do would be to take it apart and find out what went wrong. If it lost compression that quick there will be marks on the bore or a cracked piston. Maybe something wrong with the head bolts or shims. Did it happen while doing their run in method. I didn't have a prob with it but i would be interested to know if this caused it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when Im not so likley to throw the motor through the garage door I will pull the motor down and investigate and post pics !!!

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
yeah, i know that feeling
How many tanks you have through it? Were your temps up to 210F?

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
If it were me I'd try a combination of A and B.

Order a new piston & sleeve and fit it to the engine, then take the old set out and return it to Fantom with a letter of complaint and a supporting letter from your LHS stating they have inspected the motor and the damage appears not to be caused by the user.

Try to get them to replace the bits and then you'll have spares for the next (inevitable) rebuild.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Temps were over 210, I attempted to follow their run in method to the letter.

I managed to get 5 tanks through it . When it ran , it ran sweet as,
heaps of wheel standing power, quite impressive. I am using Hot
Stuff 25% nitro fuel. Im happy I have my crawler to play with until the
savage is back on the road. It gives me time to redo the shocks and
paint up a new body I guess.............

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like your idea skidd, I guess I will find out soon enough, after a
phone call to fantom. I really dont like the idea of sending the motor
back to fantom, it means I wont see it for around a month or so !!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Damn thats bad luck - I really want to hear how you go. I'm looking at all the pros and cons of a new motor, and if they screw you around...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dan it has to be sucking air somehere making it loose compresion and high temps.

Pull motor down and seal everything with gasket goo and loctite all the screws.

Theres no way it could loose compresion after that long

and that would explain the glow plugs to.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
aluminium foil on the head if youre running in in cold temps. You can lean it out but not too much. When i ran the fantom in i wasn't running it rich so the temps were up. So if you are running rich just cos youre running in i would lean it out to get the temps up

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hang on a minute here.....

You say that after only 1/4 of a tank it started to chew up glow pluds?! This is very strange.

But seriously, don't even bother ringing Fantom until you have pulled it all down and had a good look at what actually went wrong.

A lot of these high performace engines have skirts on the lower half of the piston which at the very bottom of their stroke, sit into a little groove that is cut into the back plate itself.

This groove is purely their to create the clearance required so the skirt on the piston does not hit the backplate.

Now, if your backplate has backed itself out, there is a high possibility that the pistons has hit it and cracked, thus causing a loss of compression.

How did you test the loss of compression? Just by turning the flywheel by hand?

Definately pull it apart though, you really want to know what has caused the drama's before ringing Fantom.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Dan,

I'd be getting direct email for the person you speak to and send them a followup email to confirm all that is discussed. Let us know what they say and how they treat you... Engine sales down here may well hinge on how they handle this issue.

BTW: I have moved the discussion on engine break-in procedure to the engine board, here. Makes great reading for those wanting the Fantom approved break-in method

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=680&PN=1Edited by: Skidd

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Skidd said:
Engine sales down here may well hinge on how they handle this issue.

Spot on. I really like the way Husky's performed, and could easily see that it was an upgrade to the S25, especially with the SS pipe.

However, it does not matter how good a product is, if the customer service is not up to scratch...

At the moment I'm looking to buy a new motorafter winter and a fantom is still on my list.Edited by: Morphy

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, when I was sure I wasnt going to do more damage to the fantom ( temper tantrum ) I pulled it down and this is what I found.

The only thing I can add is that its quite low on compression and I found an aluminium residue in the bottom of the motor.

Other points of interest are that the back plate is sealed with a paper
gasket only and there is only one head shim. Apart from that there were
no cracks or chips in the piston.

I will let you know how things pan out with fantom.

Thanks for all of your advice

Dan

1 - 20 of 48 Posts