Australian RC Forums banner

Evo 3 parts by square

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  zoomer 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Nope.

All the fellas in Vic & NSW who use Square & TechRacing hopups have imported the stuff in themselves, never seen them on a shelf here.

There was once rumour that you needed the Square gearboxes to prevent stripping your oneway gear, but now its known that if you shimm the gears correctly it solves the problem.

I have used the Square servo/transponder mount in my stock TBe3 since the early days, very nicely made unit. I also have their blue alloy knuckles & rear carriers, but I prefer the stock Tamiya hardened items (lighter, holds bearings better).

TechRacing does some pretty nice stuff too. The red devil (now improved running on only 3 wheels..!) runs their 3-piece centre shaft & 'T' brace - still not sure if it works any better than original 1-piece but worth trying anyway!

This is what happens when one gets tempted to plonk ALL the hopups onto the 1 car. Later came to senses and moved most of those onto the stock TBe3.

#4 ·
I just after the gear boxes. the tech racing 3 peice shaft is heaps heavier than the stock tamiya item

Team bomber make a graphite shaft that is 8 grams in wieght. I have a tamiya lightwieght shaft on order from hongkong. the new shaft is 2mm longer inthe front than the surikarn driveshaft. the holds the front bevel gear better and makes it less prone to stripping.

#6 ·
jiggen5354 said:
I just after the gear boxes.

Are you gunna get 1 or 2? Initially ppl were going the full hog both, but lately most have gone back to plastic for the rear. Weight, probably.

the tech racing 3 peice shaft is heaps heavier than the stock tamiya item

Not too much heavier... probably 10-20g more?

My TBe3SL tallies up to only about 1450g only I think... so I still need to add some extra weight to bring it up to 1500g. TBe3SL is surprisingly lot lighter than the stock TBe3.

Team bomber make a graphite shaft that is 8 grams in wieght. I have a tamiya lightwieght shaft on order from hongkong. the new shaft is 2mm longer inthe front than the surikarn driveshaft. the holds the front bevel gear better and makes it less prone to stripping.

Be careful with that new shaft... supposedly its only good for the TB02. The new ownerswere rediscovering TB02 oneway stripping problems when trying to use the red & green TBe3 shafts on that, until somebody noticed that the TB02 shaft is 2mm longer.

A longer shaft into a TBe3 might make matters worse...!?

We have had troubles with various graphite shaft delaminating when using crazy hot mods; here everyone's back to metal shafts now.

My original car chewed a few gears, and that was with running the Square ring too (later changed to Tamiya CF ring). After I shimmed the front oneways properly... haven't had anymore stripping problems since then. I also run longer machine-thread hex screws for the gearbox lids, and these screws are only tightened to "snug tight". These 2 tips saved me buying the Square gearboxes.

Sometimes I also run a balldiff in the front depending on the track/race.

#7 ·
i have shimmed the one way ring gear and i am not stripping this. I am stripping the bevel gear that sits on the end of the drive shaft. iif you compare the front and rear diff you will notice the drive shaft extends out further in the rear giving more for the bevel gear in the rear to sit on.

in the front the opposite is true with none of the drive shaft sticking though the bevel gear. tamiya have made a running change with the tb-02's driveshaft by making it 2 mm longer in the front to stop people stripping the front bevel gear. the part number for the evo3 driveshaft and the tb-02 driveshaft are the same yet the new shafts are longer.

#8 ·
jiggen5354 said:
i have shimmed the one way ring gear and i am not stripping this. I am stripping the bevel gear that sits on the end of the drive shaft. iif you compare the front and rear diff you will notice the drive shaft extends out further in the rear giving more for the bevel gear in the rear to sit on.

Hmm... yeah, some overseas say they've had probs with the pinion slipping off the shaft end - some have tried pinning the gear to the shaft now.

(I'd have just put a dab of shoegoo on.)

But I've never had that problem on either car... the original TBe3 has done about 50+ hrs total use at least by now (what's that, ~300 runs?). Never chewed any pinions but they were looking a bit tired so I bought it a new pair after TCS 2003.

The red car has the 3-piece shaft... and the length is adjustable.

...the part number for the evo3 driveshaft and the tb-02 driveshaft are the same yet the new shafts are longer.

Damned - next time @ LHS I'd better go stock up on the short shaft old stocks before the new ones come in!!

Really curious to find out which bit is made longer. Is it the round part of the shaft between the front to the spur gear hole, or is the front pinion's flat platform the bit that gained the 2mm.

Tamiya seems to have also beefed up the oneway gears, plastic is thicker where the CF ring don't sit on. CF ring now sits recessed flush with the back.

#10 ·
none of the beefed up parts have different part numbers btw. they are all running changes. I am also thinking of shelving the surikarn in favor of a yokomo sd black simply due to parts support and the fact that i don't like the tc3 or belt drive cars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.