Australian RC Forums banner

EDF Jet LED After Burner

7K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  little_drifter 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a small how to.

I got the idea off youtube.

All the parts to make this work I got from Hobbyking.

The parts I used were:
1. Yellow/orange (its called yellow but looks orangish) LED's. Comes in 1m length
2. Brushed speed controller
3. so wire, I used a long servo extension and removed the 3rd wire

Natural material Creative arts Jewellery Composite material Strap

Gadget Font Personal computer Gas Electronic device

Tire Automotive tire Bumper Gas Tints and shades

Circuit component Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Cable Electronic engineering

All you have to do is solder the leds (can handle upto 12v) to the ESC. I am going to make a jumper for the input voltage from the other brushless ESC that controls the motor. Ill prob use JST plug.

The idea is simple, to connect the esc to the throttle ch in the receiver and when you increase the throttle the LED's will get brighter.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have no idea yet. I will be very nervous flying this beast.

I think Ill change the rx in it befor I fly it also. I think its gunna be a rocket.

What I am thinking now the LED after burner is installed, is that I dont want them to be on when there is no throttle. They also seem to be pretty bright, they do get brighter with throttle but not from dull to super bright, more like bright to super bright.

#11 ·
I think I may have worked out why the LED's are not doing what theya re meant to do.

In the diagram in the link, they dont connect the positive wire of the BRUSHED esc to the y harnes to the rx. Just the white and black wires go to the rx. perhaps this will make all the difference. Not sure why but Ill try it out.

http://www.flitetest.com/articles/f-18-led-afterburners

Rectangle Font Slope Schematic Parallel

#12 ·
I just cut the red wire from the brushed esc to the rx and it made no difference. Hmmmmm

What do people think needs to be done. I want little to no light when the throttle is 0%

I dont think you can program the brushed esc.

#13 ·
Maybe it needs some extra resistance? Perhaps even at 0 load there is enough current to power the lights, if you add some extra resistance or something it might restrict the current enough so that the lights cut out? I have no idea how to do this, but I just figured that since they still light up with the stick all the way down there must still be enough current to power them, but probably only *just* enough, perhaps some extra resistance might help?

Let us know how you go, I also purchased some turnigy lights and a brushed esc so I could do the very same to my edf :)

#15 ·
Do the lights get brighter or more dull when throttle is increased. If they become more dull then the brushed ESC needs to have the signal reversed. I'm guessing at this point you have just used a y-harness between the brushed and stock esc. To reverse only the brushed esc signal you'll need to have it in an aux ch on the rx, then mix that ch with the throttle ch but in reverse.

If the lights get brighter then i have no idea. If throttle is at 0, then there should be no power going to the motor/lights.

#16 ·
The lights do get brighter, yes there is a Y harness for the 2 ESC to the rx.

At 0 throttle the lights are on, they do get brighter but it seems only in about 3 steps.

I'll take a vid after work to show what I mean.

#18 ·
That was my first thought but no it dosnt. It has 2 little jumpers on the end, one is to select lipo or Nimh and the other is to select brake on or off. Would this make a difference if i changed them?

Might have to get a mulit meter to the wires and see what the volts are like coming out of the esc.

#19 ·
I put the mulitmeter on the output if the brushed esc, the volts at 0 throttle read about 11v and at full throttle 11.97v. So this is the issue with the LED's looking bright all the time.

Perhaps a different ESC would be different, I am not sure but it is worth a try. I want the LEDs to be off or really dull when 0% throttle and super bright at 100% throttle.

Ill keep at it until I get the result I am after

#20 ·
fun project.

Try the brake jumper to off - it could refer to drag brake which sends power to the motor after you get off the throttle to slow the car in its normal useage. Might explain the 11v which really should read close to 0v at neutral.

Just a guess though.

#22 ·
You have been bitten by the RC Bug, go straight to your local hobby shop and ask for a new RC thing to play with. It could get out of hand! LOL

Could'nt resist LD!

Sorry! :thumb:

#23 ·
I have been bitten by the RC bug for many years now, lost count.

But I have been seriously bitten by the RC plane bug! Its awesome.

I am sure there is lots of free flying space out there in Temora! get yourself a plane you wont regret it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.