Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

If there's enough interest I'll hang around in here and answer all your E-Maxx questions. I had mine for about a year now and it has just about everthing done to it. I also look after several others. Here'ssome old photos. There's some even older photos in the Feb 2004 issue of Racing Lines.

Cheers

Pete Jones

HH

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Peter,

Welcome to the forum. We have been e-maxx-less until your arrival.

The e-maxx looks great - your quite right though - is there anything left to do?

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
761 Posts
if that chassis is stock... how about a new one?

possibly one of those bulletproof ones or the ones made of lexan... peedee will need to continue on that as i think he knows more of those chassis

otherwise, awesome truck i wish i had one as well as a savage then thered be some nighttime running.

those joes look SWEET

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK Here's the up to date list of bits in this truck. Racing Lines called it Australia's fastest E-Maxx but that's yet to be proven! Theoretically it will do 67Km/h according to Hacker. I'm going to use a GPS and take it down the main straight at Albert Park once the GPs over. It's the only long and wide enough strip I can think of. It gets pretty hairy at that speed because the tyres balloon to about three times their normal size. I'm running it undergeared and it's still a handfull!

SUSPENSION

RPM Shock Towers

RPM Wide Upper and Lower Arms

RPM Steering Knuckles

Trinity Blue / Black Springs

Traxxas Big Bore Shocks

Lunsford titanium hinge pins

STEERING

HITEC HS-645MG High torque servo

Kimborough H/D servo saver

Powerline aluminium bell cranks (ball raced)

ELECTRICS

2000mAh Custom RX pack

Hacker Master Sport Car controller

Hacker C50 / 12 Maxx Brushless Motor

Stock Traxxas receiver

GP 3300 mAh Saddle packs

WHEELS / TYRES

RPM Titans with TRC Park street tyres

Pro-Line Velocity6 40 Series Wheels with Big Joe Tyres

TRANSMISSION

Stock Steel Input and out put shafts

Super Maxx steel idler gears

72T Kimborough Spur Gear

Traxxas 14T, 16T, 18T pinions depending on conditions

Traxxas custom Motor mounting plate

Modified Traxxas Diffs (3mm cup screws)

Barnburner Billet 6061 Aluminium Diff Housings

Modified GPM drive shafts (MIP shafts waiting to be fitted this W/E)

CHASSIS

Bomb-Proof products Race Bomb Chassis

Racers Edge Titanium Skids

RPM Bulkhead braces

RPM Front and Rear bumpers

American CNC Bulkheads

The next upgrade will to be turn the gearbox around to centre the weight. This will also let me run two steering servos.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Jonesy, you should bring that beast down to the 2004 Velodrome to be held at the Coburg Velodrome on 28th Feb 2004.

If it can sustain a 70km/h speed that's what we wanna see!

(If it can't... sorry pal, better pullover as the Tamiya Minis are gunna overtake it.
)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking of entering it in the speed trials. I'm a little wary of overgearing it though 'cos the hacker brushless controllers are hard to come by at the moment and I really want to have this thing running for the ATA toy fair at the end of March. I was playing around with idea of putting 4 540 size motors and running the full 24 cell capacity of the chassis and just using a micro switch rather than esc. I could also run it 2wd but I should probably run it in "street trim" just to prove what it's like normally. It's hard to get the gearing right because of the ballooning tyres, undergeared at 30Km/h ends up overgeared at 70Km/h.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Std 540 motors don't like more than 12V, unless you have some specially wound 24V ones. Running the std ones overvoltage @ 28.8V will shake them to death (badly balanced sods), with the first casualty being the brushes falling off (usually the -ve one... odd!).

Besides, the top speed isn't going to increase much. Extra torque (x4) will get you up there faster & allow a higher gearing, but its still not gunna quad the speed. We had some goes at a twin-motored tourer, and that was below expectations. A single brushless motor would be easily much better than any number of 540s.

Aren't Hackers being distrubuted locally now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehe, I wasn't planning on them having a very long lifespan! I can get 18volt DeWalt 770 motors they work ok at 24v but it's a bit of an efffort to organise. I'll probably just bring it along in it's usual setup and see how it goes. Any idea of the format for the speed run? If I get a few attempts I could slowly increase the gearing and keep an eye on the temp after each run. For the final run I'd strip it down to 2wd and make it as light as possible.

PerthRC has been stocking the Hacker gear for a few years now. Sammy there had one of the first systems in a TC3, I got to drive it about two years ago and wanted a brushless ever since! I havn't talked to them for a while, I'm not sure if they've got the controllers. In any case I'd rather not blow it up they are quite expensive and very prone to letting all their smoke out!

I was thinking of putting the C50 and 12 cells into my EVO III but I doubt I could get the motor to fit!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Pete, your best reference is to go straight to the horse's mouth:

http://www.kroma.org/docs/2004%20Velodrome.pdf

For an outright speed run, you get 3 laps - 1 for test/warmup, 1 for cooldown. Not sure if its a Timed 1 lap or just the Speed (spot checked) that counts for the bragging rights.

The other races will be run as per usual racedays, only with 4min (instead of 5).

Am having troubles trying for high enough gearing on TBe3 too. Pinion already huge (42t), spur is looking tinier and tinier (low 60s)... heck, wish I could just SWAP the 2!!

G

·
Hi their Peter just bought myself a second hand E Maxx only done a little work but if you have the time peter i would love to hear any suggestions on upgrades/weak links etc any thing i may need to know before i break it got a stampede aswel and flog it to death what type of run time/performance etcwould i expect from a set of venom 3000 nimh packs or will i need to get another type of pack or maybe make my own anything would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
to stop your tyres balooning, get "proline ultra firm foam inserts"

i have them in the rear of my nitrorustler, and they are so damn good.. stock proline inserts would baloon up like a drag tyre, and leave me with about 1cm of rubber in the middle ofmy gladiatortyres contacting the ground.. .

now with the ultra firm inserts i get almost no balooning, and they give much better traction aswell.

·
Registered
472 Posts
if you are going for all out speed - ballooning tires are what you want...increased your tire circumfrence and the car can go faster when its doing the same RPM

Edit note: Edited by Skidd to prevent page border distortion

Edited by: Skidd

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
holy coW!.. thats sooooo big!

G

·
any you out their had problems with rear diffs chewing up the spider gears i'v killed a set in a week and not even giving it a hard time yet also twisted rear sliders 1/4 turn so far it all stock to boot only 1 month old. it starting to rack up the dollars already. Can any one recomend any spacific dealer for reliable spares as i in tasmania and finding it hard to source parts here. Thanks in Advance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts