Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is probably a stoopid question

But there is no reference to these in my instruction book, but does the TA04S feature droop screws?

If so where are they?

If not, where do you find them and what do they look like?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
droop screws are overgrown grub screws, about 10mm long. They go into the suspension arms where there's a suitable hole already; when you screw them in they limit how far down max your suspension can travel.

You won't be able to use droop screws on 04S as the plastic chassis has nowhere to connect to the screws. On the graphite-reinforced (04R) and the various fibre plate chassis there are extra "ears" that do the job.

Droop adjustments aren't too important in the overall scheme of things.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHHH

that explains why i couldnt find them then

so do these come on more high end cars as standard or is it usually something added as a hopup?

I used the thinner clips in my shocks and got some droop then as the shocks became shorter cos there was less load on the springs, but with the lower profile of the takeoff tyres it just scraped its belly on the road anyhow so that didnt last long...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nah they're not much of an optionpart... I recently tried to buy some for spares and you-know-where didn't have any. Not surprising as Tamiya don't even sell them in retail bags!!

Droop adjustment might be useful if you/re trying to do something really wierd with the handling, but for most situations its not even engaged. Quite often the Tamiya shocks don't have enough full-length for the suspension to fall far enough for the droop screws to function.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK

The amount of talk you see about droop settings etc I thought it must have been fairly important, but yes as you say you only have the length of the shock to work with

I would have thought it to be better though that when I put the car on the ground, the suspension compressed a little bit rather than not moving at all as it does, but when I put the smaller (middle size of the 3 supplied) clips in, it just bottoms out on the slightest undulation, so its no good really.

Having said that, when I had the OEM tamiya tyres which are not as low profile, resulting in a larger diameter (and higher gearing) because they are larger the car is further off the ground so the middle size clip works fine, and in fact with these tyres when i fitted the medium clip it did seem to handle better, though still nothing compared to the grip from the takeoffs and the ball diff in the front

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
azenis said:
...the suspension compressed a little bit

Yep, droop is Difference between Rideheight and how far you can raise the car before the wheels leave the ground.

rather than not moving at all as it does,

= zero droop.

Gotta measure it with everything onboard *including* battery... hahaha. Heaviest chunk of the car and some ppl can forget to plonk it in...!

it just bottoms out on the slightest undulation, so its no good really.

yeah... Tamiya "sort of" made a fix for it too. On their SSG carbon fibre shock towers, the shock holes are actually a little bit lower than on their black CF towers. If you don't change anything but the SSG your car rides higher.

To counter that... Tamiya sells "short" shock springs.

But overall it gives the shock more room to work, so you can get more droop.

If you're using the plastic shocks... did you build them with spacers *inside* the shock, on the shaft? (TA03 tells you to put spacers, can't remember for TA04.)

Having said that, when I had the OEM tamiya tyres which are not as low profile, resulting in a larger diameter (and higher gearing) because they are larger the car is further off the ground so the middle size clip works fine, and in fact with these tyres when i fitted the medium clip it did seem to handle better, though still nothing compared to the grip from the takeoffs and the ball diff in the front

Wouldn't be more than 1mm radius difference...? ahh, that's not even 1/2 a geartooth in gearing, don't worry about it. Your better pickup is probably due to the rubber's grip more than anything.

Hard suspension (well ok really you've just pre-tensioned the shock, not changed the shock spring) can give better cornering grip as the outside tyre can bear more weight. If more weight = more grip then you get more grip from the weight transfer.

Softer suspension can give more grip as the weight is shared amongst all 4 (or 3) tyres. But only 2 wheels are steering, so the steering force is less.

Suspension is a dynamic thing though... can get the car moving & reacting very differently just by working out the weight transfers. TA04 suspension design is great - very adjustable and as good as anything else out there.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have zero droop, and yes that is with the battery pack and all in the car.

Yes I have the plastic shocks
and yes there are two o-ring spacers on the shaft, as per the instructions. Maybe I should remove one? Good excuse to pull them apart and also get some heavier oil. I also have the single hole pistons in as that is what was in the instructions, but NOONE seems to use them they seem to go the 2 or 3 hole, but I guess you would need the heavier oil to benefit.

As for the tyres, it is probably 2mm or so, but its enough to cause the chassis to scrape.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nothing wrong with the plastic shocks, even the TA04PRO came with them. If its good enough for Tamiya's flagship 04, its good enough for anything.

Yeah no harm remove 1 o-ring see how much more suspension movement it gives you.

(hang on hang on, these ARE NOT the o-rings that *seal* the shock, right?? You NEED those...)

The TRF shocks are worse... the throw is limited & there's nothing available to remove to make it move longer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The o-rings are inside the shock so yeah maybe they do work as a seal, maybe you only need one of them though?? Looking in the instructions now, it says they are red

AHHHHH

ok

the two red o rings are seals HOWEVER there is two parts - V11 and V3 that are looking to be plastic spacers that go over the shaft. V11 is about half the lenght of V3. I would say they would be what you would remove to adjust length.

One other thing, can you save and reuse the shock oil after it has been taken out or do you just replace it??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts