Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering purchasing one of these small RC helicopters.
They're so cheap that destroying them in a horrible crash, isn't so bad
anymore. Plus they come with everything you need including an Aussie
240v charger for $129US!
Also has a trainer which works through the
transmitter.

This Dragonfly RC Helicoptor includes a helicoptor, a transmitter, an
AC/DC adaptor, accessories, a cable, an instruction manual and a CD-rom
with a helicoptor simulator. </span><br style="font-style: italic;">

The transmitter includes a port that can be directly connected to the computer thru the cable for the helicoptor simulator. </span><br style="font-style: italic;">

The helicoptor is prebuilt and is ready to play from the box. </span><br style="font-style: italic;">

The helicoptor is 46.9cm long, the main rotor span is 51cm, the tail rotor span 14.5cm. </span><br style="font-style: italic;">

The helicoptor weighs 185g without the battery. </span><br style="font-style: italic;">

The rechargeable battery can be recharged thru the AC/DC adaptor. </span><br style="font-style: italic;">

The adaptor's input is 230V AC and 50Hz and the output is 12V DC and 300mA. 4 channels.</span><br style="font-style: italic;">

Operates at 40MHz frequency. </span><br style="font-style: italic;">

Requires 8 AA batteries (not included).

</span>Found at Toy East for $129 + postage.

Pretty cool!

</span>

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Man... another Qld'r getting into the helos. I need to move up there and get a job... must pay better than down here.

Well done mate, let us know if you go ahead with it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I bought a cheapo 2 channel electric Firebird aeroplane 1 year ago. I
flew it for 1 week and after my 5th run, the wind gust blew it away(in
front of 7 spectators, embarassing is an under statement). Later I
found it stuck, wrapped around the railway powerlines combusted.

$199.99

1 week.

Could had bought my gf the big life size teddy bear she always asked me for. Damn.

milknbutter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
lol i no what you mean i had one called a bumble bee or something only lasted a day

my lhs sell that dragon fly and i think its 99for a kit and like 300 for a rtf kit

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
if your from sydney or melbourne - you get paid a lot more than we do - qld gets jibbed hardcore - sux ass

Skidd said:
Man... another Qld'r getting into the helos. I need to move up there and get a job... must pay better than down here.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
btw i got a dragonfly vII with heaps of upgrades - flies well but you really gotta get the seperate electronics - those 3 in 1 mixer boards are pain in the ass. Micro choppers are actually harder to fly than the larger models (as im told, i ghavent actually flown a larger one yet) but if they're set up well, then you got no problems really, although once u get to nose in flight, u might wanna get a simulator so u dont break sh*t all the time -l- but it's not necessary, just depends on how comfortable u are really

but man, the first time u get it up in the air, its the best feeling ever -l-

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
The smaller helis are definately a bigger challenge to fly. Less rotor area and no weight to keep thing stable.

My 60 sized nitro sits beautifully, and even in very strong winds, Ihave reasonable hover control. This is a great bird.....

30 sized nitro - not so good - wind hammers it and you have to really work the collective hard to keep a constent height.

Trex Electric - this can loose or gain 3 feet in an instant when it is windy. Flys great indoors (if you have the space) and flys pretty well in a breeze, but I don't even try when it is really blowing. Love getting up early and flying the thing around my yard before the breeze picks up.

The Dragonflies are good but remember - fixed pitch main rotor, fixed pitch tail rotor. To learn to fly, and hover around the house, they are great, as soon as you get into forward flight, they become limiting. This is where the Zap 400 and the TRex 450 come into their own.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
371 Posts
Chris, since your the expert, where would be the best place to start off in helicopters. Go electric first, or nitro but start off with the bigger engines ie: .60 instead of the .30. Any reccommendations?

cheers

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Millzy,

If you are starting out - Raptor 50 (if you have that bit extra go the Raptor 50 SE).

They are a great mid sized heli, fly beautifully, and are dead cheap when you crash.

The choice on Heli is easy - I reckon - the radio is more of a challenge. Buy the best you can afford, and don't go cheap - you will pay for it later. Minimum of 7 Channels (Throttle, Collective, Cyclic (Left and Right), Tail - Thats 5 - the other 2 will allow remote setting of Gyro or Governer down the track). I originally bought a 6 channel and realised I was going to run out. I now have a JR PCM9X - 9 Cannel Radio and it is beautiful.

Hope that helps.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
TD,

Depends what you want. There are some great packages out of HK at the moment that include OS motors, and SAB blades, etc. A kit like that would cost you about $1200 delivered, then you need radio gear, gyro, etc. All up you will probably blow the bum out of about $2500. At those dollars however, you have a very, very capable heli that you will get long life out of.

A Raptor 50 V2 (not the SE) can probably be packaged up with the lot for about $2000.

Regards,

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.