Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, now after much research and running around places I have finally got the ingredients to make my own glow fuel! :D

Coogee M1 Methanol was from one of VP racing's distributors, Nitromethane and Klotz KL-200 synthetic from Hobby Headquarters (thank you guys so much! they have all the hard to find stuff you could ever imagine)

now I know this may outrage some people but I have actually been running 0% nitro and 15% synthetic in my savage and it work quite well (minus a bit of power) would you believe it?! the only thing that I don't like is that it is hard to tune so I decided to buy some nitro. Best of all it will cost me $6 a litre to make 20% fuel and it looks exactly like AT racing fuel hehe :p

so I was thinking guys would 65% methanol + 20% nitro + 15% Klotz be a good mix for my savage x?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
yeah you don't need nitro to run engines on... used 0% for planes when we flew trainers

but with nitro the tuning sweetspot is a lot bigger & better response for acceleration

plane engines just drone around at the same RPM most of the time :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I really don’t understand why anybody needs to go through all this when you can just walk into a shop and walk out with it ready to go.
because some people are tight arses.
for the amount of stuffing about to me it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I would imagine the threat of Interpol asking a few questions would be enough reason to leave it to licenced importers / manufacturers.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha I agree I am a tight arse but who doesn't like that it costs a third of the price, it's not like I'm using cheapo ingredients (it is the same stuff that AT fuel has if not better :D) but I don't think of it as stuffing around it's more of learning how things work and I've seen some other members here who have been trying to source the ingredients so I wrote this as a heads up
and again it is not really dangerous if you do it in a well ventilated area and you don't smoke :rolleyes:
I will be getting a measuring cylinder soon so I can accurately mix the parts stay tuned for some wheelie action videos...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
hope ya do remember that methanol is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the air;
once its got too much water its pretty useless as model fuel.

the pro mixers usually do it under a head of nitrogen gas,
so the fuel never contacts wet air

that includes the unmixed methanol remaining in your main barrel... as you pour out
air gets in so water is gunna get in there. After a while if you don't finish it quick
the bottom of the can will rust from all the water buildup.

when we mixed it we used large 10L brownglass bottles (from a chem lab)
and we pumped the liquids not poured from can to can.

my dad uses O2 & N2 in his work so back then we always had blue & black cylinders
lying about the house... easy source of nitrogen to pump into the bottles.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
By all means give it a go....:thumb:

But when you find that your motor is hard to tune, then you know that there is something wrong with your mix.

I make fuel at work and its not as simple as mixing what you have there...
One example:
For a good buggy mix there are 2 or three different oil blends you can use and this takes alot of years of trial and error to get perfect.

This is just 1 aspect of fuel mixes.

Anyway good luck.;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
good point there zoomer, I have already separated the methanol into smaller airtight containers from that big drum so that they remain as full as possible
who wants to donate me their old empty fuel containers? :D

I mentioned before that I was running the savage on zero nitro now that's HARD to tune! endless hours fiddling with the HSN,LSN and idle all together plus having to use a hot glow plug and increased compression :rolleyes: I have used AT 20% fuel before and tuning on the same engine without the mods is easy as 1,2,3 :thumb:
I know what you mean by the different oils for example AT has 10% synthetic and 5% castor but I couldn't be bothered getting the castor as well and it makes a mess of the truck and the engine. It does have a higher flash point and better high end lubrication though but I'll see how it goes with all synthetic

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so a little update I've gotten my measuring cylinder this morning and so I measured and mixed the nitro in :flame:

hopefully I will be breaking the engine in today with this mix, stay tuned...!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no unfortunately i dont, do they make dynos for rc's??
anyways i have broken my engine in using the heat cycling method (start, warm up, run for 3 min, turn off, completely cool at BDC, lean 1/12, restart, repeat 10 times)
this mix is working perfectly, always starts first pull when primed properly, produces a nice trail of blue smoke and a little bit of oil coming out of the exhaust. so far SUCCESS!
now to performance tune... :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey Derfla ! this is cool bro ! nothing more fun than making your own brew !

im kind of a little addicted to making it myself lol

I can tell you how to get a great tuning window on 0 nitro but then id be telling :D

Cheers MM

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
wow those little dynos are as I thought - expensive! a poor uni student like me cannot afford such things ;)

hehe MM i think for 0 nitro you might have to add a little acetone but that is kinda hard to get, anyways i'm over 0 nitro... MAWR POWER i says! :flame:
might head out to the park today for a little tune/bash, luckily it has stopped raining!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK so I've spent some time today tuning and the savage shifts smoothly through to 3rd gear hurray! it doesn't wheelie unless you really plant it then it flips over lol but the wheels do lift off a bit during acceleration. Probably because I'm running 18/47 on the transmission - I want top speed cause the low end power will always be there
what do people mean when they say big blocks really come alive after 4 or so litres :confused:

anyway that's all for today going to make some more fuel, hope to see you guys at lansdowne when I'm on semester break :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts