Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just bought a TeamMagic 1800mAH Glow starter, the battery it use is Ni-CD.

So I was just wondering what is the recommanded discharging rate for this type of battery? Do I discharge it to a certain voltage?

It seems that for Ni-MH, everyone is suggesting no less than 0.9v per cell when discharging, what about for Ni-CD? Does the capacity of the battery matters?

If I want to also discharge my other Ni-MH 5 cell 1400mAH rx pack, what discharge rate should I use also? Thanx

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
im about 100% sure you arent supposed to discharge NiMh batteries. But then again electrics arent really my thing. Zoomer will know

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I shouldnt discharge Ni-MH battery often, but if I do, say in 6 month time, I'd like toknow which discharge rate I should use.

The main question was actually about the discharge rate for the 1800mAH Ni-CD battery in my glow starter, at what rate I should discharge it and to what voltage

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
There is no recommended "discharge" rate... only for charging. When discharging its all up to whatever source is sucking the power... nickel rechargeables can pump out pretty huge currents.

Nicads can be run until flat 0V. Best to store them flat too.

NiMH should not be discharged less than 0.9V/cell; if you don't have an auto-cutoff discharger its better not discharging them. Store them fully charged.

(Conversely, LiPoly/Ion cells totally DIE & never revive if they drop below 2.4V/cell. They got nominal voltage of 3.6V per cell though.)

For a single subC glowstarter cell.... I'd usually not worry about it. It'll be pretty flat when you're finished with it anyway. If its still got some juice just plug it to a glowplug and drain it that way.

A single 12V 21W taillight bulb wired with suitable plug is a great way to discharge any nicad packs 4.8-7.2V. Takes about an hour from a full charge usually.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
A single 12V 21W taillight bulb wired with suitable plug is a great way to discharge any nicad packs 4.8-7.2V. Takes about an hour from a full charge usually.

thats exactly what i use with my NiMH 6V receiver packs. just make sure to disconect the lightbulb when it starts to go dim.

Nicads are sensetive to the speed at which they are discharged, whereas NIMH's are not.

RC Car Action.com have some great articles on this topic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.