Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys - here's the story so far..........

Out bashing last weekend with the Terra Crusher - I've had a bit of a clicking noise over the last few weeks, but last time out when I would slam on the brakes - I had a very loud "click", which progressively got worse. The truck ended up stopping and would not move.

I opened up the tranny to find a tooth from a gear (which houses the planetary gears)had stripped and wedged itself in another gear so nothing would turn, so I thought that was my problem.

I replaced the gears in the tranny yesterdayand put it back together and guess what...still "clicks" really bad. (At least now I can drive it, though!)

I've pulled my front diff out - no broken gears but a lot of wear, particularly in the pinion and a lot of metal shavings and bits in the grease inside the diff.

Would this cause the gears to jump under extreme braking and cause the click?

If it is the diffsm, it's just a matter of time before I strip them right out, so I guess it's time to change them.

I'm also guessing I should replace front and rear at the same time - what do you guys think? (I haven't pulled the back down yet to check.)

What sort of grease do I use in the diffs and how much goes in. Also, the part of the diff which houses the planetary gears - do I use the same grease in there and again, how full of grease should it be?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
While I'm no expert of your detailed questions and cannot give any authoratative guidance... IMHO I would definately do both front & rear diffs at the same time. You then have an equal starting point for both and let's face it you may as well do both if you're going to pull one down anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
If its clicking when braking - front diff, prolly the pinion but possibly the ring gear or both. I would replace both of them. I had this prob on the savage, assuming the terra crusher diffs are similar. After youve replaced the gears(may as well do front and back at the same time) ease up on the brakes.

Use silicone diff oil in the diffs, i run 100,000 weight but as i say i dont have a terra crusher so not sure what you should use. I use a little of theis same grease on the ring and pinion although ideally you should use something lighter like green slime as the oil is really thickas causes a little drag which decreases performance.

In the diffs fill the oil up to the pins. Dont overfull as when the oil heats up it expands and you will blow seals.

Make sure you get oil not grease. Grease flys off the gears and sits at an edge. Oil sticks to the gears and does the job.

cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts