Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. just loking for some fact, and some opinion if you want to through it in...

I am considering buying an MT. The Savage seems pretty popular around here, and I figure thats a good recomendation... however at the same time several other new trucks have been released that have caught my attention - namely the Genesis, the TNXand the Revo.

Now, to be honest, I am likely to buy a Savage, however I want to know if anyone around here hasany of the newer trucks and can tell me what you think. I am also trying to find out what the difference is between the Savage SS and 25, apart from the lack of radio gear in the SS??? Last but not least... where is a good place to buy (Sydney is my local, dont mind shopping international) and what other accessories should I pickup to make sure my bashing experience is top notch :]) I already have thes standard required nitro gear, and race on-roads most weekend... so dont worry about those kind of things... I mean what spares, which upgrades etc....

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
UncySpam said:
Hi folks. just loking for some fact, and some opinion if you want to through it in...

I am considering buying an MT. The Savage seems pretty popular around here, and I figure thats a good recomendation... however at the same time several other new trucks have been released that have caught my attention - namely the Genesis, the TNXand the Revo.

Now, to be honest, I am likely to buy a Savage, however I want to know if anyone around here hasany of the newer trucks and can tell me what you think. I am also trying to find out what the difference is between the Savage SS and 25, apart from the lack of radio gear in the SS??? Last but not least... where is a good place to buy (Sydney is my local, dont mind shopping international) and what other accessories should I pickup to make sure my bashing experience is top notch :]) I already have thes standard required nitro gear, and race on-roads most weekend... so dont worry about those kind of things... I mean what spares, which upgrades etc....

Mmmm now that is an all encompassing post. You'll probably do better by reading the numerous threads that are specific to each of your questions. The search function is your friend... don't be afraid of it.

For example to see what members think of the Genesis, have look in this thread..

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41&PN=1

Remember that the Genesis & Revo are so new out here that virtually nobody on herehas actually seen them yet... let alonedriven them! TNX... again, just read the TNX thread.

Personally I own a Savage 25 and there are a few threads here that go into great detail about the difference between it and the SS. Comes down to only a few really... 25 is RTR, SS is kit form; 25 has 3 shoe clutch, SS has 2 shoe; 25 has radio gear, SS doesn't; SS has adjustable arm, 25 doesn't.

I don't think you'll get many people here who won't recommend the savage as the RC of choice.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well i own a tnx and it looks bloody strong won't no for sure how it runs until i break it in on sunday....Will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skidd,Mini-T and OzDork thanks for ur input... i look forward to the results of your weekend testing mini-t - i have always been a tamiya fan, so the TNX is quite appealing to me.

I went back through the last number of pages on here, and unforuantely a lot of what was posted in regards to the genesis,revo and tnx is conjecture. Ive also read wildhobbies and a few other forums with what they have to say about one or more of those trucks, and its the same there too! A lot of people are happy to offer an opinion abut something that dont have and dont inted to get.

I guess thats why I am most interested in the Savage - mostly becuase a lot of people in here (and a few other forums I read) have them, and speak very highly of them.

BTW is tower hobbies good for getting a savage, or would I be better off getting one locally (through mrc or somewhere else???) the price is a bit different, but once shiping/customs etc are taken into account, im not sure it would work out much cheaper.Edited by: UncySpam

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
You will stuggle to beat MRC for price and service... I bought mine off him and would highly recommend him to anyone.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I have a few friends in USA and one who races his new Revo. He said its an awesome truck with plenty of speed, and the new suspension design really helps give it a much better handling ride, especially for racing.

It comes with a hump pack, and charger as standard.(iassume the charger is no good for 240v tho?) It also comes with a sh*tload of other bits, like the optional 120mm rocker arms for 120mm suspensin travel which is far more than any other truck on the market. Add to that a 2 speed electronic transmission, and slanted engine for better Cg, andF1 styleshocksand u can see why it makes such a lethal racer.

The Tmaxx is a pretty good truck, it was the one that totally changed RC MT's, and all other trucks designed since have copiedmost of the maxx's technology (like dual shocks, 2spd, reverse.. etc) Personally i would still opt for the Revo, since it handles so damn good when compared to any other MT.

heres a couple of pics, of my mates new Revo !

Edited by: Oblivion

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
From what ive read. heard, etc

Revo: Would prolly be my truck of choice if i was a racer. Excellent suspension design and woy can lower it easily to get lower CG w/o atering the spring or damper length. I hate electric stuff. Its the only stuff that you cant usually fix, so the fact that the revo incorperates electric two speed, i think traxxax are getting ahead of themselves, no one wants more electronics as they are one more thing to go wrong. Still flat chassis whick wont hold up to the severe bashing TVP's (savage) will

Genesis: Seen 1 good vid but it was a demo so it only had the good bits. Looks too brittle to jump with, but looks as though it handles ok. Lots of initial release issues that need to be ironed out before i consider ine. It is the biggest 1/8th on the market atm, so that interests me. Unproven motor that doesn't seem to have an upgrade yet, have to wait and see what else people put in them.

The all conquering savage:
Do i really need to say anything. By far the best R/c ive ever owned. A few hopups and its virtually indestructable. Ive seen what mine has gone through and i cant see any other truck ever matching it. I have won every race ive started with this truck after a few simple race mods such as lowering the shocks and sofer springs. Also its imo the best jump truck on the marked atm.

These would be the three i would consider.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well i think the distribotors have just got em in (i think the do) because stanbridges here in perth are expecting it early August which is now. I no there are a few ppl in oz who already have got em.(they got them imported for the states)

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
mini-t said:
Well i think the distribotors have just got em in (i think the do) because stanbridges here in perth are expecting it early August which is now. I no there are a few ppl in oz who already have got em.(they got them imported for the states)

Yeah, my thinking is that once they are actually on the shelves at the LHS then we will start to see a few at our usual bash spots. With the small number of privately imported ones that come in you hardly ever get to see around the traps. Once we start bashing side by side with them we can get a few decent comparisons.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone!

Husky, what is so good about the TVP design that makes it so much more durable than a flat chassis? I would have thought (wronglyI guess in this case!) that a moulded chassis like the revo would be very durable and strong.

I was also looking at one of the full ladder-bar setups on the GVI XFactor - it looks pretty flimsy to me... although it is pretty realistic as to how many of them work...

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Ive noticed quite a few unhappy revo owners in the states selling them second hand already.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The differences between the Savage 21, SS and the 25 RTR are as below. Both the SS and the 25 are in stock with a special price for Ausrc readers of $780.00 for the Savage 25 and $650.00 for the SS plus post.Price is valid till 1st september or until sold out. Please not that we will be closed from the 12th till the 19th.

RTR Savage 21 RTR Savage 25 Savage SS
Engine 21BB Nitro Star S-25 Nitro Star S-25
Tuned Pipe composite composite Polished Aluminum, Ribbed
Starting System Manual Pullstart Roto Start System Manual Pullstart
Spur Gear 52T 49T 49T
Clutch Bell 14T 15T or 18T 15T or 18T
Clutch Type Two Shoe Three Shoe Two Shoe
Shock Springs Red Medium Black Firm Purple Firm
Fuel Tank with primer, front pick-up without primer, rear pick-up with primer,frontpick-up
Body Black-Silver-Purple Red-Black-Silver-Gray supplied clear
Dogbones updated standard updated standard Heavy Duty Silver (#86134)

Regards Mark.
http://mrcmodelcarparts.com.au
As We Say Don't Wait till Tomorrow
for what you can get Today.

·
Registered
709 Posts
DITTO tOiletduck bloody tower......

Mark can u call me during the week for a payment on spares please.. TA!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DAMN! well thats pretty much confirmed that im going to buy a savage... even the cheapo MT's are more expensive than that!

I assume the SS doesnt come with Servo's (as it doesnt come with radio of course!) what servo's would be a good choice? im leaning toward the SS as I have a Futaba 2PL radio already, and like it... dont see the point in getting the HPI one when I am not going to get the reverse module anyway (well not yet at least)

and the SS hasone of the hopups I would look at straight away, the tuned pipe - so thats a bit more money to spend on other things....

can anyone comment on how good the tuned pipe is with the ss as opposed the 25... or even in general compared to a reasonable replacement pipe and header? also is the 3 show clutch heaps better than the 2 shoe, or not worth it. What are the servo's like with the 25 - worth it, or do most ppl end up replacing for something else? Last but not least... how good is the rotostart system? does it work well, or would i be just as well put with the pullstarter...Edited by: UncySpam

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.