Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know where I can get my esc fixed in melbourne ?I haved killed two in the las 3 weeks and my last one does not have reverse.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
What brand ESC?

Where did you buy it from?

These days you're often better off buying new. By the time you add in labour costs ($60+/hr easy) + parts (1 power FET could be worth $10-20, X how many?), the bill is not going to be pretty.

More importantly... HOW are you managing to Kill them??

Suggest it would be a better idea to solve that problem first!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unsure whybut the first onedied when i was running my pajero in the yard with a stadard motor ran 2 battery packs thru with a cooldown inbetween and halfway thru second pack it stopped working

second one worked when I bench tested it then went to run and it died aswell got it with a puchase off ebay?

Any idea how I could get a schamatic of the electrics?maybe I could repair myself?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Brand???

ESC companies have never published schematics, its their trade secrets & they don't have to.

Your other problem is that the parts on them are usually uncommon items and you'll find it hard to find a retail source of the components.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tips I will just have to take it on the chin and throw them out and buy replacments with a warranty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one is a novak duster and other is a LRP runner it is a shame because they were good ESC's when they worked properly any recomendations on what to replace with need to be able to run upto a 40 - 50 turn motor as it will be going into my pajero scale rock crawler

P.S I was not running this motor when they died

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Wierd... Novaks are usually pretty tough. Only thing that usually kills them is moisture and the usual user errors.

Novak is tops bar none when it comes to aftersales service. They have a swapover programme, where you can send in your dead Novak and for a fixed fee they'll send you back a fully-tested one (current & late models) or offer you an upgrade.

LRP Runner should be quite good too... I have a Sprinter (fwd only) and it does a decent job even if it has only 3 lonely FETs!!
But LRP's repair policies aren't as clearcut; I don't know what they are.

btw which part of Oz are you in? 'cos I got a dead Novak here too, been meaning to send it to US but just too lazy to get around to it yet...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats an interesting option i might look into for the novak I might try their site and see if I can get some info will let you know what I findout

I live in melbourne

G

·
anybody know where I can get my esc fixed in melbourne ?

he did say zoomer..lol..sorry,

how ppl to manage to kill esc's...

on the esc topic anyone know what happens when you plug a battery up
the esc motor wires??....im just curious as ive put deans on my esc,
put got different ends for motor and batt..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Quite a few "country" fellas in Vic... might be visiting the big smoke for the long w/e etc.

nismospeed said:
on the esc topic anyone know what happens when you plug a battery up the esc motor wires??....im just curious as ive put deans on my esc, put got different ends for motor and batt..

Yeah, I do.
Story of how I've now got a dead Novak.

Battery wire (black) got swapped with the motor's wire (blue)... turned on everything and the servo worked fine. But as soon as hit throttle some FETs fused... battery was disconnected quick smart but now the FETs are stuck shorted. When rewired back up correctly the FETs - I think just the brake ones - are stuck shorted and they'll conduct straight your 7.2V... hello very hot battery & wires and some of the FETs get really hot.

This is a Cyclone btw... its rated at lord-knows-what 400A or something and their FETs have never gotten hot in use even with crazy mod motors.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey,

For advice and sourcing the broken components in your ESC try Wes Components.

They now have a retail section, previously they only dealt with trade
customers and you needed a BSB to deal with them. My little brother has
their catalog and they stock EVERYTHING and anything .

Good Luck

Edited by: Odum

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
checked out the NOVAK site and contacted them reply was very interesting if I send my old one back they will give me a brand new current model for $99 US these retail for $199 US so not a bad deal at all go check the NOVAK site out www.teamnovak.comif you have an old NOVAK might be a good option

I will have to find out what price these are over here in Aus to make sure it is a good deal

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Your dead Duster is a fwd-only ESC; limit of Duster Sport is 14turn, Duster II is 12turn. A current-model equivalent would be the Fusion (12t) - and its only US$45 with dead tradein.

Going all the way to the Super Rooster for US$99 is a good bet. That beast is unkillable, doubt if you can find it for under A$300 new locally.

Now you believe me when I say I love Novak's customer service???!?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts