Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this Monaro's blue:-

The blue's a mica tint, which fades to black when you're not looking directly at it.

(After much experimentation, I have achieved this effect with a lexanTT-Nice.)

But ever realised how damned hard it is to PHOTOGRAPH such a car??

Above photo is done in a studio, with homogenous full-spectrum lighting all round & lots of diffusers & reflectors to full in the shadows.

Do it with a single spot flash and I got... a black shadowy lump.

Bugger.
Need a photo studio.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What I do Zoomer is get a series of desk lamps. I've got a big one
which clamps to a desk and another two which sit on the desk but are
directional. Using the lamps I try to 'flood' the object - with the big
lamp above - but not pointing directly at - because it can be too
bright...

I've only done it a couple of times (too much work) but works well.

Alternatively - natural sunlight?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep that's what I do too... my work desk converts into a 1/10 photostudio. Its got 3 anglepoise incandescents totalling about 250W, plus another 2 strip fluorescents. Worked for everything else so far.

But not this time.

After it got stickered & polished, tried several different layouts and still no cigar. Gotta get the light flooding & bouncing off the right angles otherwise... big black lump. Part of the problem might be the shape -TT don't have any straight lines or angles & that's why I painted it like that.

Will have to seek some sunshine I think... but being Melbourne its very rare last few weeks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
being melbourne it might be MONTHS before we get decent sunshine

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
FWIW, Is it possible to use an off camera flash? I know sometimes I have to use the romote trigger on my flash to get the light falling from just the right angle... HTH.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If flash doesn't work I just turn flash off & use external lighting. Photoshop normally fixes the rest but heck... can't do much with big black blob.

Looks great in real life but its like a black hole for light!!
(umm... yeah, you know what I mean) That was something I definitely DIDN'T consider when starting off on the project; heck everything went so smoothly.

Thinking of buying a bunch of halogen downlight bulbs
and wiring them all to the 12V supply haha... they're 50W each aren't they?? Plus got a new 150W halogen worklight spare somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.