Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of making a custoom chassis for the micro, as i dont really like the stock lower chassis...

now i could you carbon fiber but cant seem to find it, and ive been told its quite expensive,

what other matterials could i use, i dont want any alu, or Ti or anything like that,

could i use FRP to make one, if so, where can i get some..

any ideas welcome

Nismo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just dont like it...

the lower one i want to change...its just to cramped...

and i want something different

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Have seen cars with flatcell or AAA packs, mini servo and modern "micro" RX & ESC - they still manage to fit everything below the top deck.

CF & FRP sheets aren't hard to get, aeronautical suppliers often can sell you offcuts. But not cheap, probably $50-100 for a square foot's worth - used to cost us about $80 for an A4 sheet and that was years ago.

Cutting CF is also very dangerous... you NEED serious respiratory protection or else you will risk emphysaema (aka smoker's lung cancer). I still wouldn't be sniffing in FRP glassfibers by choice.

You also have to countersunk all your screw holes = major pain.

There's a company called Fyberlyte in US, they will custom-cut anything you want if you give them CAD drawings. I'd be too scared to ask their prices...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
id find ill be more satisfied doing it my self...

i know having micro stuff is good, but i use the one RX and ESC in both of my cars...lucky i got 2 servo's....

ill look into getting some FRP,

countersinking is easy...use a pressdrill thingy, but limit how far it goes in..

looking at the pic i posted, it looks like a PCB stuff for electrics...ive seen big sheets at DSE...
, might get some on thursday....was cheap too, and its strong..

Nismo

·
Registered
166 Posts
why dont u use acrylic??? it is light and can come in many different
thikneses. i used it to make some mini t shock towers 1nce cos my LHS
didnt stock parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey good idea....clear stuff...lol....

hmm how thick would i need??? about 2mm i think..

Nismo

·
Registered
596 Posts
old street signs is a option. my local council sells the olds ones off. that and there is round about near me that people keep going through taking out the sign in the process

·
Registered
166 Posts
na i would go for like 4mm if ur gonna go for anything. it idosnt just
come in clear it comes in all diff colours. but i yet to see
black...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You can get acrilic in black, but u might as well go a color, then latter you could fit LED's to make the car look like it has neons!

The most versitile thing about acrilic is it can be shapped really easily, just heat it up, bend the crap out of it and let it cool. Some cool tips:
<UL>
<LI>use hot wire to make straight bends. Hold acrilic about 10mm above the wire untill it will bend.</LI>
<LI>Use an oven to make the whole sheet flexible for really custom shapes - make complete battery holders, push nuts into etc.</LI>
<LI>Put it back in the oven to return it to its original shape</LI>[/list]

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Acrylic does shatter on impact though... ever dropped one of those cases that suspended neon signs go into??

What about polycarbonate, like the stuff used as 'glass' on racecars.

Might

1 - 13 of 13 Posts