Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently cracked my pretrol tank. The crack is about .5cm and it pisses out fuel currently. Would i be able to silicon the crack without damaging the fuel mixture with other chemicals from the glue? or any other suggestions?

ak

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
akkk said:
I have recently cracked my pretrol tank. The crack is about .5cm and it pisses out fuel currently. Would i be able to silicon the crack without damaging the fuel mixture with other chemicals from the glue? or any other suggestions?

ak

You could order another one from MRC as they are well under $30.00... in fact I would get 2 from him as it will save you postage and you will surely do it again.

Consider the extended chassis upgrade as it moves the tank away from the shock tower mounts, which are what breaks the tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Skidd's right this is a very common problem with the Savvy! I used epoxy resin glue to fix mine, after it dries i put a layer of good quality super glue over the top. This usually lasts about 10 or so tanks (depending on the ambient temp and size of crack) before the methanol eventually softens the resin and it peels of.

Depends on the size of the hole your trying to fix really,i fixind a small hairline crack using this method and its still not leaking- done about 3 liters through the tank!

I dont think the glue would affect the fuel mixture enough to cause any damage.

Still good to have a spare tank (from MRC)though while one is drying!

Hope that helps mate.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Check to see if you have the bolt that holds the shocks on at the top pointing backwards. Its quie common for the shock tower to flex and if you have the nut side towards the tank it will punchure it.

The stupid thing is that the assembly manual shows the bolt in the wrong way...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I know that Dan has successfully "Plastic Welded" cracked tanks using a soldering iron and a zip tie as his source of plastic.

Where are you Dan?

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
yeh i had the same problem but i welded mine. i got a soldering iron
and some plastic. hold it on on the angle and let it drip on there. it
fixed it and a havnt had a problem for 5 weeks. also if u use ebay
there like 10us + 4us for paststage. i just got 1 and should be here
next week.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have used a soldering iron and a cable tie as a "filler" rod to weld
cracks in the plastic tanks. You have to use one side of the iron to
melt the tank and the other side of the iron to melt the cable tie and
once you have started you just slowls mode the iron and cable tie
along, just like using a stick welder. This seems to be the only way I
know to fix cracked tanks, I have tried arayldite, loctite 401 and 406
aswell as various silicones, liquid nails blah blah blah.

There is an easier way to fix a rooted tank, get on the blower to mrc and hand him over 25 bucks

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I have fixed them using a soldering iron, then sanding the srea and using some epoxy resin over the area. Holds up for 10 or so tanks.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
IlUvMySaVaGe25 said:
also if u use ebay there like 10us + 4us for paststage. i just got 1 and should be here next week.

Yeah... but to me USD $14.... say AUD $20 and then the wait for it to arrive, for all that, I'd rather sling MRC the $27ish that he wanats and get it sooner.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Agreed!! welded tanks leak. well mine do.. spoze thats what you get usin a ciggie lighter an the guts of a bic pen....
DOH.

ok so if shock tower flex's then does that mean if u go the alloy ST. then it wont flex as much if at all!?!? or is it to do with the location of the pins that hold the tank in??? do THEY flex? coz wouldn they b beta out of alloy!??!

admitadly.. my tank is still held in by a cable tie on the back and a pin on the front.. and am still using the leaky primer tank coz i havnt replaced the new busted one

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
The problem is that the rear bulkhead and shock tower take so much of the force from bad landings that it is better if they do flex a bit... but then they flex so much thatthe top of the shock tower hits the tank.

Yes your right, if you changed both those parts to alloy you would save your tank... but you may bend either of your alloy bits with a bad landing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i wish i tried the solder trick first. I placed some glue (glue used for shoes - like maxibond - brown in colour) onto the crack and noticed it leaked inside the tank. Would this do anything when mixed with fuel. If no at least i have a tank while im waiting for a replacement

ak

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.