Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the hell do i put the tie rod ends onto the ball connector?

tamiya tl01 turnbuckle tie-rod set?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I dont have a tl-01, but if how the hell do you do it you mean "whys it so hard"...

get a pair of pliers and put one bit on top of the rod end and the other on the thread part of the ball screw and just pop it on

otherwise use your thumb and itll get on after a while and itll hurt

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it won't go in...the ball is too big for the hole?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dw i've done it

hammered the rod in

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Your fingers are too weak, grasshopper.

After a few more goes... you'll be able to press them on with bare fingers... as well as TAKE THEM OFF AGAIN!!

I don't like using tools to muscle the ballends on, as any tool will always dent the plastic and deform it. You want them to pop on hard, otherwise they might pop off whilst you're driving.

G

·
could also put a drop off grease on the balls, this will smooth it out aswell, its what i do most off the time on mine!

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Not a good idea. Grease will pick up dirt, make it into a grinding paste and then wear out the ball joint faster than normal.

Best way is to run them dry, and when they get too sloppy pack them with a bit teflon tape (plumber's sealing tape).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn my fingers hurt from trying to force the damn tie rod in!!!

got pissed off and got the screw driver and hit it and it went it

what do you mean by the rods getting sloppy?Edited by: migoreng

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
migoreng said:
what do you mean by the rods getting sloppy?

The plastic will wear out after a while and get bigger, making a looser fit on the brass ball.

All the other holes will do the same too, like the suspension shafts in the plastic suspension arms.

Its just called wear-n-tear.

G

·
nah i always use grease, then wipe most off when the rod is on, i have
never had a problem, and have no sign of wear and tear as you ppl call
it...

same as the shock, i use ball joints to hold them on as there is near no slop if any, and have had no problems with it,

Nismo

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there something to helpset the toe?

cause i don't think my wheels have zero toe atm...when first installing the tie rodsi measured with the stock tie rods...

hmm..just want to straighten up the wheel...they look pretty straight...but maybe there 1mm toe in or something...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts