Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My son is 7 next week. He has been hassling me for a RC Monster Truck since before xmas. He's had various toy shop RC cars over the years all of which have broken except one which still works well but won't last 5 mins outside. I am now looking to get him something (maybe monster truck, maybe buggy?) to take down to our local park which has both smooth netball courts and grass and hopefully also take him to our local off-road RC park. I saw a guy racing a Revellutions Jungle Storm on the netball courts, he said the tyres can wear out and you can replace them and I was all set to get one of those but for the life of me couldn't find anywhere that sold the spare tyres so figured that might be a super frustrating buy.
My problem is I don't understand the world of RC at all. Brushless makes me think of the vaccum cleaner rather than something fun! I think I would be after an RTR? Does this mean they come with everything you need or do you still need to buy extras, like a charger etc. I also think we need to go Electric rather than nitro and I would like to be able to buy spares for when the inevitable happens and the vehicle get damaged or parts wear out. I have read too that I shd be looking for something that doesn't take aeons to charge up and then have 20 mins battery life. I know this is a long shot but if anyone has a recommendation of a particular model I would be incredibly grateful and ANY guidance re the basics of what I might need to know to survive our first forays with RC would be great! TIA :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
dont take this as gospel but hobbyking has a good range of allmost ready to run vehicles cheap i suggest 4wd turnigy trooper with 3s 4000mah lipo batteries these are good value for not much outlay and spares are cheap
you will probably need the radio gear but your local hobby shop can hook you up with a 2 channel 2.4gig controller and receiver for not much money for a basic model
spare parts can take a while to get here but worth the wait.
if your son breaks it you can also buy upgraded parts normally made from alloy so they will take more punishment
i suggest buying 2 batteries tho so its just swap and drive
you will also need a balance charger for the batteries
but like i said dont take this as gospel as there are others out there who know alot more about these things than me.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What is your location? Do you have a hobby store nearby?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I saw a traxxas grave digger for sale second hand on SSD

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would be leaning towards one of traxxas models, as they are good for beginners.
Your best option would be to visit your local hobby shop to see which brands they sell. This way you can get parts and technical support, when needed.

Buying a hobbyking car or other cheaper Chinese copy is OK for those with a little experiance. One main reason is they can have teething problems that may not be easy to overcome with no experience. The other issue is the manuals are very poor, they do not go into disassemble and assembly very much and can have parts listings for multiple models (to reduce cost they use generic manuals for multiple models). This can be a nightmare when ordering parts online.

One of the biggest factors would be your budget. How much did you want to spend?
The second thing would be how technically minded are you, your son or a family member or friend that can help you repair when the inevitable happens.

Two options I would put forward to look at are the HPI savage xs and the redcat ground pounder.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Spend a bit of time at your local rc track as that's probably where he'll want to end up, see what they run and what he likes and then head to your local hobby shop if you have one and see what they sell and go from there. Between the track and the shop you should be able to get a good idea of what your after, keep asking questions and don't jump in too quick. You seem to have a pretty good understanding already for a novice and seem to be on the right track for a start in rc for your son.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi Bexta

Welcome to the forum

As the others infront of me ill say TRAXXAS... I have over 25 cars and id say 60% of my vehicles are traxxas, they are just a durable car and parts are easily available for them.

I have seen traxxas cars take hits were other brand have exploded on impact.

One thing I will mention is there are different types of radios.
2.4ghz, where there will be no interference with other cars, planes, boats etc in the area. The controller has little antener like a wireless modem.
AM Band, which generaly operate on the 27mhz bandwith. They have a "frequency" which can be interfiered by another car, boat, plane on the same "channel"

When you have decided what to get him, do yourself a favour and get a decent quality charger. The cheapo chargers that come with the traxxas gear take about 3hrs plus and they don't fully look after the battery. Some times they wont cut off and over charge the batterys, Plus a good quality charger will bullet proof him for the future if he choices to go down the path of different chemistry batterys.

Please do yourself a favour and if you have a hobby shop go in and drill them with as many questions as you can think of, if they are a decent hobby shop they will do all they can to get your son into the hobby & you will have back up support for the learning stages.

I have bean at the track or at the park and people have asked me questions about my cars etc, I have handed them the controller & said had fun, It gets them excited, & It gives them a idea of what sort of car they would be interested in owning.

Everyone on the forum here will answer any of the questions you need answering, I hope you have a good experience in getting your son into the hobby.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Welcome to the forum bexta

Traxxas Stampede Brushed version would be perfect for a 7 year old.

The come RTR (Ready to Run) straight out of the box, the only extras you will need are AA batteries for the controller

Locally supported and if you buy through your LHS (local hobby store) when you need service, parts or repairs, they will be able to supply or help (check with your LHS prior to purchase to ensure they are willing to help)

The Stampede is a tall model, good ground clearance, so the little fella will be able to pop over small tree roots, lumps and bumps, they do around 50kph flat out which is fast enough for most kids, and 2WD (rear wheel drive) so he will also learn some basic handling skills.

I get a lot of parents looking at this particular model as a first RC model for their kids to learn and have fun with

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Bexta
I am new to this as well (despite my age) and its quite overwhelming - give me helicopter parts and manuals any day!
You say that there is a near by track, I suggest you go there and see what they are running and talk to them. It would be no fun if you got something that wasn't matching what is run locally.
You may also find that people there have cars for sale, that whilst not new out of the box, could well be better value and have some upgrades.
As well, you will get to meet the people there, get first hand advice and also sus out the people, you might not like them and not want your son in their crowd (langauge etc)

good luck!

Hay Ewe

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Welcome to the forum bexta

Traxxas Stampede Brushed version would be perfect for a 7 year old.

The come RTR (Ready to Run) straight out of the box, the only extras you will need are AA batteries for the controller

Locally supported and if you buy through your LHS (local hobby store) when you need service, parts or repairs, they will be able to supply or help (check with your LHS prior to purchase to ensure they are willing to help)

The Stampede is a tall model, good ground clearance, so the little fella will be able to pop over small tree roots, lumps and bumps, they do around 50kph flat out which is fast enough for most kids, and 2WD (rear wheel drive) so he will also learn some basic handling skills.

I get a lot of parents looking at this particular model as a first RC model for their kids to learn and have fun with

I vote this as the best answer. It's a very well known brand, cheapish, good parts availability/backup service Australia wide, plus no potentialy dangerous lipo batteries in the hands of a 7 year old.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My 4 yr old has a Turnigy 4wd Trooper and a 1/16 Mini Rally and with the prices being so cheap, I got him a GT-2B radio with extra receiver, bought spares of pretty much everything I thought he'd break (suspension arms, uprights, spurs, steering links etc) and he's running lifepo4 packs (not dangerous like Lipo, not gutless like nimh) and he has a basic charger he's learning to use himself. All his spares are in a 45 litre tub, when something breaks he brings it in I make him find the part and we install it.

All up? Probably about $300 or so I think

Cheaper than a Traxxas at the local, then having to go back when something breaks, or finding the store has no stock so you have an upset kid to deal with the next week.

I'd be going the Hobbyking option!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, awesome info, you're all fab, thanks! :D

Traxxas is looking pretty popular - I am going to set aside some time tomorrow nite to re-read and digest all this, then do some searching online. I found the local hobby shop a bit off with me (oh look here comes a mum who is clueless ....) but I will go back, maybe in disguise, and check it out again. I haven't got time to go and see what everyone else has up at the RC park, tho that's genius and I am kicking myself I didn't think of that months ago ;) cos I need to get cracking on the purchase so that's its here on time for the Big Day. Sorry I can't "reply" as I would like right now, regards individual tips, think I have steep learning curve ahead espesh concerning batteries (nimh? lipo? in my world that relates to mice and cellulite respectively).

Cheers all!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NEWSFLASH!

Son is now proud new owner of a Traxxas Grinder (Monster Jam), brushed! Sticking with an AM controller for now but bought the fast charger as 6-8 hours way too long to wait to go again! Running in training mode so we're supposed to get 40 mins. Have yet to get to the track but since the kids have dug half the yard up for making mud pies etc its pretty challenging terrain out the back anyway. Couldn't have done this without your help!:high5:

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Great to hear that news....

If you need further help or advice please don't hesitate to post it up

Hope your little man had a great birthday

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Apart from the awesome Traxxas RC truck I think your sons greatest birthday present is having you for a mum, well done ;)

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
+1 for a great Mum. I had to save every penny I earned from a newspaper run for two years to buy my first RC car.

Nice work!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very kind words guys, thanks .... I might print that and show it to him when he's having a strop with me .... ;)

You might all have a good laugh at this - after recharging the batt pack, Dad was teaching me how to hook it all up etc so our son could play after school and not have to wait for the slightly more techy Dad to come home. Our son had, in the meantime, already pulled the body off and nearly disconnected the aerial in the process. We checked for loose connections, all good. Turned on transmitter, pressed the butotn on the ESC and then lightly tested the throttle. BEEEEEEEP. Oh no - calamity. We have beeping. Annoying beeping. This wasn't there a couple of days ago in the backyard. More connection checking, followed by downloading the manual, recalibrating the ESC, re-testing in backyard. BEEP. Searched on this forum, joined the Traxxas forum, searched there. Turns out ... its the motor, beeping is normal and once the truck is up to speed won't hear it, which is why it was a "new" noise when testing the power in the lounge ....

Mama is going back to housework now!!!

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
I am not giggling...really I'm not....good to see it was nothing major

I have to say though, I wish more parents were like you....I see a lot of kids whose parents have no input with their kids hobbies, so it is good to see you getting involved and interested

1 - 20 of 24 Posts