Australian RC Forums banner

Coffs "Harbour Helifest" 2008

14K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  Peter 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
Where actually is the field located??? Can't seem to see an address/location in this thread.

Also, would anyone have any idea what time you'd all finish tomorrow (Saturday 17th)? The child bride works tomorrow morning, and we might not be able to get there till late afternoon.

Still, there's always Sunday!

#37 · (Edited)
Its north of Coffs , about 13-15km I think , north of the zoo , (think its closed) ; the field is actually the Gun Clubs. Heading north its on the right .. Go past the field , should be signs out , do a u turn at the Emerald Beach turnoff .Emerald Beach turnoff is about 1 k north of the field. Give me a call on 0428717629 if you like!!

usually gone by 4.30 - 5 ish , gets dark early there !!! depends on how keen we are ! But call me!!!

#39 · (Edited)
I've never seen so many helicopters in the one place before! An RC heli oglers delight! And most of the pilot skills weren't too shabby either.

I managed to get to the field for a few hours on Sunday, and witness flying as I've never seen before. (Although I do leave a pretty sheltered existence living in "the bush"!) Also witnessed a couple of how do I say, "non controlled" landings. When the thumbs go "whacky", it doesn't take long for the thud.

It was great to finally meet a few faces, to connect with the AUSRC forum names. And I think Skidd is still drooling over Peter's Westland Wessex. A handbuilt rig around 30 years old, that still flies beautifully. I took a few photos, and a little footage, but as the home PC has also crashed, it could be a while before I can even sort through anything, let alone post it to the forum.

And good luck with the display cabinet Skidd. Have you settled on a 2.1 metre version, or do you think it will have to be the 6.7 model? :rolleyes:

#40 ·
Great to finally catch up with you and yours Mr Woolly. These RC heli events are by their very nature a lot more controlled than the RC Car counterparts of the same number of participants. We had over 80 pilots and with only 5 flying positions it makes the wait for a empty piece of sky a bit longer than you would probably find at your local field.

It sure was a busy event and the competition for the flight line meant that I never actually got my heli in the sky, but it was good to catch up with some of the people from the various forums.

Peter and I will be in "discussions" over the future of his much hidden Wessex but at least I've now seen it with my own eyes.

See below.

Attachments

#41 ·
1. Peter priming the Wessex
2. The largest crowd gathered at a pad to watch the oldest bird take flight..
3. She flies beatifully.
4. Skidd tries to kidnap the bird. "Can I have it??... "
5. "No! Put the bloody thing DOWN!"
6. "Please Pete. Please? At least let me carry it!"

Peter with his Wessex, and a very admiring Skidd. The age of the machine, and the fabrication was all the magnetism needed for the model appreciative Skidd. I really believe that Skidd would get just as much enjoyment looking at this replica sitting on the shelf, as he would seeing it in the air.

The kangaroos in the background just didn't care at all......

Attachments

#42 ·
LOL... thanks Woolly, I got a laugh outta that! I didn't even know that you were back there with the camera.

Pete and I had planned to discuss the "relocation" of his Wessex on the following Thursday when I was due to meet him at his club field but some unfortunate events conspired to keep us apart.

Now I'll just jave to mull over it until the next time I can get up that way and harass him again. ;)

#43 ·
Great piccys and brilliant captions , Wooly! I didn't realise you could read my mind....:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.