Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I'd be interested to hear how people go about cleaning their trucks. My Sav .21 is in the usual state of squalor after a few runs. So far I've been simply hosing it down with Nitro Cleaner, but its getting expensive - a couple of squirts sees the buggy looking like new, but the Savvy just seems to soak it up ...

So, how do we all clean our trucks after a day out?

Mike

·
Registered
660 Posts
tooth brush and a cloth then spray parts with WD-40 and wipe it downmakes them look brand new again

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Put shellite into a trigger squirt bottle, $3/L & works as good as aerosol spraycan.

Shellite is an excellent degreaser and doesn't leave any residue.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I as thinking of doing that myself Zoomer after recently discovering
the degreasing power of Shellite - but then I was worried it might eat
my plastics or cause the car to go up in flames next time I drive it.
If you think it's the way - I'll give it a go.

Jerrah.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I dont clean mine
The best way i did find to clean them though is to use an air compressor! Works a treat and then afterwards give a spray over with WD-40 to make it look nice and shiny again

·
Registered
536 Posts
i usually just take the motor out and just clean it with a tooth brush and some tissues and then a nice spraying off wd40

·
Registered
660 Posts
i thought i was the only one using WD40

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Methylated spirits and a toothbrush works great - dries quick and any excess can be blasted off with compressed air. However, the plastic parts will go a bit dull and need a quirt of WD40 afterwards to restore the "new look".

Also, the Export brand degreaser from Supercheap (about $2 a can) is good - don't waste your money on nitro spray - it's too expensive and doesn't do that good a job anyway.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Would try to avoid metho... when it evaporates it leaves behind the dissolved water. Moisture will destroy your electronics & cause rust.

WD40 has kerosene in it, its smelly and leaves everything oily. Kero is probably bad for some plastics & rubber. If you want that shiny black look, use a rag dampened with Armorall.

jerrah said:
I as thinking of doing that myself Zoomer after recently discovering the degreasing power of Shellite - but then I was worried it might eat my plastics or cause the car to go up in flames next time I drive it. If you think it's the way - I'll give it a go.

Your nitro fuel is probably more flammable than shellite. No it doesn't eat anything, definitely not on a nitro car.

But definitely DON'T SMOKE when spraying it everywhere... SMOKING (& FIRE) KILLS.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
lol.. hehe..

i use air compressor.. and then an old t-shirt which ive ripped up into
cloth size peices and just wipe down grimy bits.. then give it more of
a air pressure clean.. and then spray RP7 / WD40 on a cloth and
wipe it on the car's parts which need a bit of life!..

works great... but hopefully tommorow i will clean the "INSIDES" as it
seems dirty from the previous owner!.. grime around the engine +
from the EXAUST!!!!!

what u guys reckon of extending the exaust to the rear ?.. because it
leaves SO much grime!.. and if u put a stanless steel pipe from the
exaust to the rear.. (as ive seen in Savage-Central.. ill get a link
later.. ..

ureckon it will be less preformance.. (rembering that the size of the
extention is thicker then the outlet.... if smaller = BIG difference!

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Fire,

I did the rear exhasut mod on my Terra Crusher and it certainly kept the truck a lot cleaner.

However, with the extra tubing etc that I had to put on, combined with a new header to point the pipe couplings the other way, I did lose a considerable amount of torque.

So I've gone back to the side mount and got a longer deflector which I point towards the under centre area of the truck.

My pipeis aDynamite brand which comes with its own header - one like the Savage that attaches to the pipe with a sealing gasket and springs. The increase in torque when I run it with the proper header with thepipe sidemounted on the truck is amazing.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
well today i went to bunnings in melb city.. and i didnt find what i
want.. so i didnt buy anything.. and after reading what u said. and
what my brother said... i dont think ill extend it... ill just deflect
it.. as u said!...

can i just use any pipe (flexi) that i got at home and use it.. or does
it have to be some weird heat resistant one? like a thin hose?

Edited by: Fire

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Fire said:
well today i went to bunnings in melb city.. and i didnt find what i want.. so i didnt buy anything.. and after reading what u said. and what my brother said... i dont think ill extend it... ill just deflect it.. as u said!...

can i just use any pipe (flexi) that i got at home and use it.. or does it have to be some weird heat resistant one? like a thin hose?

I don't think they are anything particularly special... the 'factory' ones sell for a little over USD$4

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I use those GS deflectors and no iol lands on the chassis or suspension. Most of the oil does land on the rear tyre, but as lons as its off road, who cares???!!!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
husky said:
I use those GS deflectors and no iol lands on the chassis
or suspension. Most of the oil does land on the rear tyre, but as lons
as its off road, who cares???!!!

ehhehe.. i need one to shoot OUT .. not down.. coz my driveway = nitro
patches!!.. i think shes running too rich still!.. i gotta go out next
time u all bash or something and get u's to tell me what mine needs
.. you's are the experts!.. im still newb

·
Registered
54 Posts
i was just looking at my car today and its gonna take a lot to get it clean again.i took the wheels off and cleaned them in the sink now for the rest of the car....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow... thread from the dead...

The spot where I run my buggy gets it really dirty really fast - a lot of fine dust and ash. I just use an air compressor and a toothbrush - a bit of water, but not a lot. Just gotta make sure that said toothbrush doesnt end up back in the bathroom

·
Registered
632 Posts
i use a air compressor to blow off the loose dirt and grass , then some degreaser and water [ my radio gear has been seal up with liquid electrical tape ]

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got a big drum of white spirits i dunno what its called i think its B4 or something. Doesn't eat plastic and makes things clean. And dries very fast, probably leaves a little residue but a dry cloth will fix that. Air compressor is a must have if you dad either has one
or you can afford it
will become handy for allot of other things.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts