Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you have probably known all i have done is post problems on the net. All i do is go down to the garage and try and fix my savage. Problem after problem i encounter i canever get it right. I'm looking for someone to fix it and tune it right. I'm in Moonee Ponds and there is a hobby shop that will do it i'll take it there or if someone is interested i will pay you gladly.

thanks jordan

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
You should come out bashing with us next time(prolly this sunday) Im sure there will be heaps of people to help you(including me) for free

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm only 16 and If it's too far away i get out there. There are some major problems

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i'm in Melbourne why do yuo ask?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
millzy555 what is actually wrong with your savage ???

Sonic

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Any nice BMX parks or nice places to bash around your north side of town, m5? Arrange something for Sept near your place and we can make it a date.

Lotsa folks here more than happy to fix yer up.

(sweet 16 eh? damn, we usually accept payment in beer...
jk )

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Yeah... like Sir Husky and Sir Zoomer said... we are only too glad to help, we just gotta figure out how to get to the same place. Maybe we can arrange a meet somewhere near a public transport connection or as already said if you can find a place near you were we can have a bash we might just have an event over your way.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
theres gotta be somewhere we can all meet. I wouldn't go paying a hobby
shop to fix it. Did they sell you the savage? If they did they
shouldn't charge you anyway(key word shouldn't) but no doubt they will
charge you a packet. Can you explain exactyl what is wrong or take
pics? Theres really not that much that can be drastically wrong. 99% of
the savages troubles are an easy fix

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think its probably wrong tuning, but i have a play tomorrow. I don't get, how come on one day it runs fine then the other i cant' get it to start?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nitro engines are just fiddly. Different weather conditions, including how thick/thin the air is, temperature, barametric pressure ect ect will effect the tuning of your engine.

Some days it will run perfectly, others it will be sluggish and on occasion it wont even start. Just gotta get used to it.

You should learn how to properly tune an engine, because it all comes down to how you tune the engine to how it will perform.

(I am terrible at tuning, but i know thats your problem)

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
There's a 101 reasons why nitro engines are finicky, but they are really basic beasts in terms of technology. No reason why they can't be made to run & start reliably if its not too worn out.

Usual checklist is:
<UL>
<LI>good fresh fuel</LI>
<LI>good & correct plug</LI>
<LI>correct tuning</LI>
<LI>no air leaks</LI>
<LI>no holes in fuel line & tank</LI>[/list]

How about scouting for a good bash spot up near your place?

How about Keilor Reserve park or something around there...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keilor's got no jumps, only the little track. There is a BMX track down near The Moonee ponds creek and i think some big motorbike jumps. I'll ride down and have a look

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Heck, what is it that's so interesting with big whumps anyway?

Go up once, come down twice, turn around and do it all again... snore zzzzz.
Even the Grand Old Duke of York got bored and stayed mid-level.

How about a RACE??

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
zoomer said:
Heck, what is it that's so interesting with big whumps anyway?

Go up once, come down twice, turn around and do it all again... snore zzzzz.
Even the Grand Old Duke of York got bored and stayed mid-level.

How about a RACE??

Even better... how about a race WITH some jumps in it!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
What is it with these savages!? They never want to start! Generally I've found that if your mixture at idle is lean it will not want to start - or it will fire up, rev up then die straight away. If it's too rich it should still start, but be really sluggish off the line and stall if you give it too much throttle. Like they always say in the instructions, it's better to start too rich - and the idle mixture screw is very sensitive - 1/8 of a turn is a fair bit - so set everything back to factory specs to start off.

As well as checking all the stuff the other guys mentioned, also check your flywheel is tight - I blew a motor up trying to tune it with a loose flywheel - it would only run lean. A temp guage can be a wise investment - otherwise, my method - lick your finger and touch the head - if it sizzles you're too hot - luke warm too cold. (with the main mixture screw wound all the way out, my engine ran at about 35 degrees C and the carby started to freeze!)

My tuning method goes basically like this (from factory specs - obviously this will only be useful to you if you can start the beatch): First off dont worry about how it takes off from a standing start - give it a push if you need to - the idle mixture can be left too rich for now. Get it up to speed and full throttle. It shouldn't want to rev out too much yet and should be blowing a fair bit of smoke. Turn your main mixture in 1/8 turn at a time until you find the point where it will rev out nicely at full throttle - keep checking temperature to make sure you're not too hot. Ususally you will have to back it off a bit from the point where you have the most power - unless youdon't mindrebuilding motors regularly!

Now the idle mixture (screw on the throttle slider), this effects how it will take off from the line after idling. I usually run this one a little rich too, which makes the car a bit hard to get off the line (no good for racing), but allows extra cooling when I back off. Let the car idle for a few seconds then give it full throttle. If it's too rich it may stall or accellerate very slowly giving off lots of smoke, as you get leaner the response will increase. Again adjust by 1/8 turn each time. If it's too lean the engine will rev up quickly then quit.

See how you go anyway - I'm usually at most of these Melb GTG's with my buggy. I'll give you a hand if you need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts