what is the reasonable price to buy a savage ss
in AUS$

should i buy froms tower
or a store in AUST

thankx

·
Registered
793 Posts
id buy from tower, turns out way cheaper. Just make sure you look at shipping prices, due to its size, shipping can be very expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Tower don't currently have any SS Savages, but when they get them they will be $349US. Supposedly the end of this month, early next.

Postage will be approximately $100US (Get Airmail, DO NOT GO SURFACE). Total therefore of approximately $450US.

Being conservative, 0.76 current exchange rate, that is $595 Aussie. Everyone I know that has brought one in to Australia has had it stopped by customs. You will pay 5% duty on the truck, then 10% GST on the Truck and Postage.

$460 Aussie for Truck plus 5% = $483
$483 + $132 Aussie for Postage = $615 plus 10% GST = $676.50 Delievered and including customs.

Compare $680 (for round figures) to any local hobby shop and you are saving at least $300, sometimes up to $500.

I'll let you make up your own mind.

Please take noteon Airmailvs Surface Mail. Airmail is about twice the price, but everyone I know that has done this gets the goods in 14-20 days. I got mine in 14. A mate of mine bought his Savage 25 on the 6th of November 2003 from Tower using Surface Mail, and it is still not here. Tower say on the website 2-6 weeks, he has quizzed them, and they will not start chasing USPS until after 90 days (12 weeks / 3 months)... a bloody long time to have paid for a truck and not have it.

Tower are fantastic, but don't use surface mail.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just orderd my savage last saturday from tower and it ended up costing $740 Australian. That includes the savage truck ($US 399) the reverse module and servo and the air freight. It hasnt arrived so I havent paid stamp duty or gst yet.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey Guys,

Also a newbie to the rc scean well an up an comin newbie,

Am looking forward to the soon to b purchased savage ss. i wanted somethin a lil challenging.

Thats my idea anyway. Now my question remains similar to the last but ok lets use this as my example : I find my truck(say at tower) pay for it an when it arrives it dosent have a motor.. i'v been ripped!AHH, ok comes with a motor, i understand i'll have to go an get a radio an gear for it, am i still able to suffiently use the servo's that come with a say $300 radio...?would like the benifits of getting reverse as well, but figure that if i can i'll try an get it all completed at the build stage as to not have anything to add later. will even do the lhs a favor an get it through them if they are nice an smile a lil
spoze thats really about it at the moment....

so basicaly: 1. get savavage ss with all required "hop-ups" (reverse, center skid plate, 3 pl8 clutch,radio gear an servos. average aus. price over the counter???guessing huge? average american/tower import price?? fractionaly lower?! not including st. dty or gst...

what about required electronics?? batery packs? chargers? thermo etc...

Many thanx for any help i can get or suggestions u can make in my general predicament!

GREAT SITE!! should be advertisedin Racing Lines!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well id get all in one id guess...

i was browsing on www.rcmart.com

and i was just see how much postage would be for a few thing....$55
express airmail, 3-4 days delivery......i added a few more things,
(tamiya body in box)...and postage went up to $60.....so id say its
cheaper to a big bunch than 1 or two smaller things..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
foolSp33d,

Firstly, thanks for the kind words on the site.

I think you wil find buying it out of the US more than a "little" bit cheaper. Probably in the $300 to $500 range, unless you have your LHS wrapped aroung your little finger.. if you do "WELL DONE"!

Being that you are looking at an SS and you are going to build it, I would get everything in one hit. Build it once. I don't know who on the forum has reverse, but I would have to say - spend your money elsewhere - HD Dogbones, 4 Gear Diffs and a Throttle mod as a minimum. These will save you money in the long run. If you still find yourself wanting reverse, get it later.

Also, get your radio gear from Tower - it will also be craploads cheaper. Get 27Mhz as it is "allowed" by the ACA under the class license for LPID (low potential interference devices). The actual class license for RC is 29Mhz in Australia, but Tower won't carry this. DO NOT GET 75MHZ - it is used for Defense Force Land Based Communications and is definatelyNOT allowed to be used in Australia.

As I said above, Airmail is about $100US if buy out of the US, but it is worth it to get the gear in a timely fashion. If you can get it out of HK, you will save some bucks on postage.

One thing to keep in mind - my understanding isthat HPI will only warrant engines sold in North America, if you live in North America. Therefore if you are worried about Warranty, pay the price and buy locally.

The other downside to buying from say Tower - they don't have the SS in stock and it has been "coming" for some time. Current estimate Mid Feb.

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

·
Registered
472 Posts
haha am i the guy ur tlaking about......87 days and counting on my savage 25 and assorted hop ups....im either gonna hit the SOB's up for a refund or another one sent express shipping lol ground shipping is fricking evil..2-6...das bulll shazwazza

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
JoNo,

No you weren't actually the guy I was talking about, but I recon based on the days you have been waiting, yours and his could be on the same boat.

Another sterling example of why NOT to use Surface Mail.....

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same problem ordered a Savage 25 from Tower on 10th November (surfacemail)and it still isnt here! Same with an OS motor I ordered couple of days before. Tower will refund the money or sent a replacement but only to a US address or by FEDEX. All future orders will have to be sent by FEDEX with a US $25.00 fee to find out the cost of freight. I have ordered alot of stuff since all by airmail and it has got here in about 10-12 days.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
AUSRC said:
One thing to keep in mind - my understanding isthat HPI will only warrant engines sold in North America, if you live in North America. Therefore if you are worried about Warranty, pay the price and buy locally.

Good luck getting any "warranty" out of any local distributor, AusRC.

I'll believe it when I see it...

I have personally seen & handled many warranty issues, involving just about any& everything you can think of to do with RC. With 20/20 hindsight,99.9% of all engine mishaps... methink its directly attributable down to User error/abuse/ignorance (ie Have yet to see a reputable-brand engine leave the factory with manufacturing defects).

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Zoomer,

Mate, you think exactly the way I do - that's why I have never hesitated buying anything from the US. I figure it is more likely that I will stuff it up than the manufacturers.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Absolutely nothing against mailorder etc etc...

... but everybody,PLEASE DON'T then go try asking the Local Hobby Shop to help you when you get into troubles or expect them to carry spareparts for a locally-obscure model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which Savage

YOU MAY SAVE A LITTLE BUYING U.S. HOW EVER IF YOU BUY LOCAL YOU USUALY GET FUEL FUEL BOTTLE GLOW STARTER AND TOOLS ETC THOWN IN AND IF THERE IS A PROBLEM IT EASY TO RETURN

JUST A THOURGHT, THANKS:confused:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
lol mate ... have a look at the date of the thread ;)

think they may have made their decision by now haha ....

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
:doh: Hahaha, you reckon, unless he is still waiting for a reply after all these years...

Think skeleton in front of the computer!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
lmaooo .... yehhh .... rc gets like that sometimes though

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought locally... as such, whenever I visit the hobby shop, I usually end up with a free bottle of fuel, or a free glow plug etc whenever I visit the hobby shop. I also end up with good service. I can ring up the hobby shop and say "what needle do i need to adjust if my truck is revving itself to death while "idling"".

A quick phone call, and a twig on the low speed needle, and my truck is sorted. I'd hate to imagine the cose of rining killer/amain/tower for support.

Having said that tho, you will save a PACKET buying from OS, but like others have said, if you didnt buy it locally, dont rock up at say RC hobbie and expect them to help. If you didnt buy it there, why should they?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts