Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone!!!

after looking around google for info about tamiya rc cars i found this forum :)

yeah i'm looking for the car in the subject

i was considering the QDS impeza before but decided iwanted a car that is faster and is upgradable...i've got $200 atm and wondering what is in the XB RTR box...hobbyco.com.au is selling the TT-01 for $239...not sure if it comes with the remote...so wondering if you dudes know any info.

i guess i have to buy batteries and a charger...so how much money do i need

i can probably get $250 by tomorrow but people have said i need to purchase batteries separetly...if i wait a while then i could save another $50...to have $300 to spend

...please don't say i need $400+ for a full working rc car... with 1 battery...can't be that expensive...

G

·
depens on what you want mate...thats life i guess..

look on ebay, you can find cheap NIB(new in box) kits..for around the
$150 mark at the moment for a TL01 chassis, also can get cheap radio
gear and batts of ebay aswell.....i dont how much the RTR kits are,
sorry....but id say ebay is a good bet..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
If http://www.hobbyco.com.au/product/show_item.php?plu=T58305Tamiya kit #58305 $239 is what your looking at, this is NOT the XBPro RTR set. This is only the standard kit that you have to build & paint yourself, it does not include radio/battery/charger.

That is around that kits usual price. Radio will be another ~$100 for a basic stick 2ch unit, a nicad pack would be about $25-40 for a usable pack plus you need a decent charger starting from about $30+ (Don't buy "chargeleads" for $15!!).

If you're after an RTR (& why not, they're good value), Hobbyco has the #57717 Impreza which *is* an RTR "XB" set. This car is based on the TL01, and all in for only $299 built & painted. You need to add battery & charger still.

The TT01 RTRs are "XB Pro" spec, and will be more expensive than XBs as the Pro includes an Electronic Speed Controller. Probably be at least $50 more.

If you're ona tight budget, check out Hobbyco's super special on the #58241 Ford Focus TL01 kit for just $139!!! This is a ridiculous price for this, far under cost I'd say. Buy one right now if they still have stock, else you'll miss out.

Building the car is a great experience, and will be good for when you need to fix it later. I always recommend ppl build their cars, and Tamiya's instructions don't come any better!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm thanks for the info

how fast are these car? they can be upgraded for competion racing yeah?

about the rtr xb impreza for $299 can you give me the exact specs of the batteries i need to buy?

what does the ford focus package come with?

well most likely i'll be wanting the $299 impeza now after reading some more info

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Ford Focus #58241 is a kit, that means you get all the bits to build the car chassis, body and a standard 540 motor. You need to add a radioset, battery and charger.

An RTR XB set gives you the car and radio assembled; still need to add batt & charger.

Any 7.2V racing stick pack (6-cells) with a Tamiya (industry-standard) connector will do. Batteries come in different capacities eg. 1400mAh, 1700mAh, 2400mAh, 3300mAh. This means they hold more energy, so you can run longer (Not Faster) per charge. But it'll also take longer to charge a big battery, and of course the 3300 costs much more than a 1400.

TL01 & TT01 are excellent beginner cars. They are tough and easy to build/repair. They have good performance which is more than enough to start learning how to drive RC with, and when you've gotten used to driving you can hop them up with ballbearings, hotter motors etc.

Ok they're not likely to be used for World Championship RC racing, but don't forget a Tamiya *did* win the last WCs and are current touring car champs!!

Oh yea, please don't ask "how fast does it go" - that is a real newbie Q. Let just say its plenty fast. Ask few different shop owners and they'll tell you anywhere from 60 to 600.

But the difference is.. I own TL01s.

And a radar gun.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
approximately how long does a 1700mah/1900mah battery last? i'll probably buy 2 as the 3000mah battery is $100??? and 1700 is $20 something

what charger do i need? i see a delta one with a plug into the power point...a block in the middle and the battery plug? i think thats the one? $49.95

G

·
ok, a 1700 will take around 15mins on quick charger for me, this quick
charger has leads that go on a 12v car batt, if on slow/trickle charge,
it takes up to 12 hours from memory.....put slow charge seems to last
around 5mins longer, and have that more punchy feel to it........

youll be better off getting 2 or 3 1700 packs off ebay cheap, and a
charger that charges both types of batts, the big 3300 ones...

Nismo

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright thanks alot

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
migoreng said:
approximately how long does a 1700mah/1900mah battery last? i'll probably buy 2 as the 3000mah battery is $100??? and 1700 is $20 something

what charger do i need? i see a delta one with a plug into the power point...a block in the middle and the battery plug? i think thats the one? $49.95

Yup, buy two 1700s. Charge 1, play 1.

On a std 540 motor in a TL01, it'll probably run 10-15 minutes.

That "brick" AC/DC charger is fantastic. Works perfectly, super reliable. It has a big heavy transformer that's why its so bulky, but that's what you want. Dinky little transformers are never reliable.

Do you live in Sydney? If so... erm (pls don't tell Hobbyco this) don't buy the brick there, just drop in to Dick Smith Electronics on your way home. Search the shop closely and... you'll find the something that looks 99.5% the same for $30.

Can't find better value than that $30 brick, nor a $139 TL01.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Oh forgot.

Brick charges at 3A, so it'll take about 40 mins to charge 1700mAh. Brick only does nicad batteries, still at that price can't complain.

3300 batteries are NiMH. You need special chargers to do NiMH as they are more fragile and are more easily overcharged, kills 'em. As both the batteries & chargers are more expensive, there is no advantage to using NiMH for fun playing.

Stick with Nicads, they are much more foolproof & better value.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info dude

·
Registered
596 Posts
buying secondhand is also a viable option for keeping costs down. 2nd hand rc cars don'w hold their value which works in your favor. i have seen 2nd hand tl01's here in perth for as little as 100 bux with radio gear box and insturctions. no batteries or charger though.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying 2nd-hand just yet, you need to know exactly what you're looking at before you hand over your $$$ for a used car. If you have experience and are buying a 2nd identical car for spares etc then sure, but if its your first - it'll be more painful than its worth.

Don't forget, TL01/TT01 is a newbie's car -nothing wrong with that, but the guy selling it will guaranteed have trashed it. Even though it is a tough car, it will still wear out and can be badly abused. And you can't tell without taking it all apart... you have to know what you're looking at.

Also consider the financial side... a TL01 kit is ~$250 brand new.

Now if you were to buy all the PARTS of the kit separately... you'd be up for $400-500!!! eg Full set of tyres+wheels $90, new Tamiya bodyshell $90, new 540 motor $20, new chassis $40... list goes on.

So by the time you add up all the parts you need to buy to fix up the used car back to usable condition, you'll be spending like $200+ easy. Not including what you paid for the car in the first place.

Worth it?

You decide.

--------------------------------------------------

Not against 2nd-hand cars per se, there are some good value out there esepcially amongst the top end ex-racers' stuff. Always you need to know what you're buying, even the experienced RCers can be caught out.

But you'll never find a TL01 worth buying secondhand (maybe unless its free?).

Don't forget that $139 TL01 kit also.

Heck, that's alreadyless than price of bodyset + tyres.

What are you waiting for???

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
only have $250 atm

needlike $150

so probably after doing some computer service for the next 2 weeks i might get enough

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
If you seriously wantthat car, $139 is an irresistable price. Have they still got stock even?

Suggest - so you don't miss that fantastic offer - go buy the car kit first, no harm.

You don't have to buy the radio, battery, charger until later... best to take your time slowly building the car.

There's a few hours enjoyable work there - might take you over a few nights, maybe even 2 wks. Don't rush it, step by step & double check all your work.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'm planning to buy the impreza XB RTR for $299

well what you said about the $139 kit, will itbe built to be like the impreza? except i have to buy a radio

which one is cheaper?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
XB RTR $299

vs

Focus TL01 kit $139 + basic stick radio $80 + paint $10 = $229.

So $70 saving PLUS the joy of building your own car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have to paint it too??!! i'll probably paint the car one colour...don't want it looking like a rally car...

the basic radio stick for $80, is that better than the radio with the xb rtr $299?

are there any features i should pay more for in a radio?

hmm okay i'm gonna head to the city soon by train get off at town hall and to hobbyco
to buy the car first

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Basic "stick" radio has 2 sticks:- left stick for throttle up/down, right stick for steering left/right. I saw Hobbyco has stick radio on special for ~$79.99, Futaba is an excellent famous brand.

You might want to consider "Wheel/Pistol" radio. This is wheel for steering, the gun trigger is the throttle. Usually wheel radios are at least $50 more expensive (say about $150-200? for wheel radio set) than stick radio, they might have some other extra small adjustment that can be handy.

Whether you like stick or wheel is down to personal preference - which is more comfortable? They both do the same job at the end of the day.

Basic radios are all AM. 2 channel is all you need (throttle & steering).

A little higher up the pricerange you will find FM... but for basic backyard use, AM works fine. FM may be a slightly cleaner signal etc so may be better when racing together with 10 other radios, but an FM wheel set is probably $200-300 easy.

Then at the top of the foodchain is the "computer" radios. They have the fancy LCD screens, computer memory for all your different cars' settings, fancy gizmos etc etc... haha all that just to drive a toy car. Can pay $500-700 for a radio like that.

It is worth asking yourself what kind of radio you prefer - wheel? stick? If you want a wheel, then its best save up more & buy what you want.

Radio, like your charger, it is worthwhile spending a little more buying what you prefer better firstoff as you can transfer the radio to your next car. Look after your electronics and they will last forever - I know some ppl use 20+ year old radios in RC.

Buy cheap or unsuitable Radio/Charger, you'll just be buying another one tomorrow. So save $$$ by buying a good one from the start.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.