Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is one of those projects that has gained a life of it's own over the last two years.

A friend conned me into building him an on-road brushless truck a long time ago but the project took on a life of it's own. The initial idea to simply wire up a brushless paint can sized motor into a HARM club racer chassis has turned into a long drawn out build that had me burnt out on at least three occasions. I left it sit for over 8 months after doing the chassis mods and needed what we call - "creative-pause" to get a few ideas on wiring and battery retaining settled in my mind. I treated this build like it was for me, and as the owner of all the gear freely admits, I beleive I have shares in it now cause it has gone way past any initial expectations and build time estimates. Honestly you couldn't pay someone enough to do a job like this. We soldered all the battery leads twice. Once with deans plugs and then I got nervous and changed them all to 8mm bullets. If you've ever had the pleasure of soldering just one of those big mutha bullets have another look and try counting how many there are in the whole setup. It's one job I never want to do agan I can tell you that. Anyway, Overkill was the objective and I hope the results will prove it once this beast gets fired up...... hopefully no fire though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
WOW that looks impressive, those motors are big hey. Good idea changing to bullets too.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Any chance you will bring this to an open day to show it off?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any chance you will bring this to an open day to show it off?

not sure eh! I will do some vids though once we fire it up. not far off completion now but we are putting hydraulic brakes on it and some of that hardware needs to be sourced yet. the first few runs we will gradually build up speed and duration to check the current draw. the speedy has a box which stores diagnostic data. you will see a box in the pics with a screen on it. you use that to program the speedy also.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I just had another look through those photos omg drooling over your garage.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just had another look through those photos omg drooling over your garage.
oh that's the board room at Roko's factory where I also run my business from. lol. the cars in the background are both mine and roko's and I do most of the
paintjobs. it's not a stupidly big collection but its all quality except for those garbage losi micro 't's that Roko owns. ( I hate those peices of crap with a passion)

We call it the 'never bored room'!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Paolo, one of the guy I race with at Moorebank took one of his moded truck which is a HARM SX-3 chasis with everything else that belong to truck. It goes very well on the track. I like the look of the truck going around the track too.. I think thats why trucks racing is big in eroupe.

I will be racing at Moorebank on Sunday the 24th this month. Come around with that truck and test run it on the track if you want.

Cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be trying to get it running by then. just organizing some paint mask stickers through Adam ( evilair).

I always liked the trucks too. the truck body and FG truck wheels were my idea. actually it mostly all was my idea from the specs, motor, batteries, body and then the paintjob.

I would have like to use an sx3 chassis but that was not my idea. it's not gonna ever be raced so using a lower spec chassis is no big deal i think.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Paolo,

It's a bout time photos of this where posted to inspire you to see the back of it brother ...... nice work on the bullets to mate.

See you Friday night... xx

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Friday night??? your not cheating on Rocko ar ya dean???? Mr exraycer, what can i say... F'n awesome, but don't push evil he just got my new body and i need it asap lol

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Friday night??? your not cheating on Rocko ar ya dean???? Mr exraycer, what can i say... F'n awesome, but don't push evil he just got my new body and i need it asap lol
No mate it's a threesome ... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
don't push evil he just got my new body and i need it asap lol
LOL new body ????? that thing (you sent me) looks like you pulled it out of Paolo's scrap/crap bin... put it in a potato sack and posted it, in some hope that Aus post might treat it nice..:pray2:

well its Ok Tiny , it should be done by the end of this weekend, just finishing Dan's woodster widebody

Paolo that thing looks SWEEEEET

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
LOL new body ????? that thing (you sent me) looks like you pulled it out of Paolo's scrap/crap bin... put it in a potato sack and posted it, in some hope that Aus post might treat it nice..:pray2:

well its Ok Tiny , it should be done by the end of this weekend, just finishing Dan's woodster widebody

Mate if you can make that body look reasonable then you'll be gettin one a month from me.............. I've got a fence magnet mounted in the front of my buggy.. Promise they'll be better that that old hag..............lol

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tiny you crack me up mate, "fence magnet!" and you're learning to fly too. remind me to wear a hard hat next time you're at the flying field.

deano, its just me on Friday, roko's gone to china for a week. Max said he would come down too to check out the progress on his truck. I'll be happy to see it run beleive me. damn I hope it's not a dud.

Thanks Adam. BTW. Don't do too good a job for tiny. you'll be on his payroll before long and I hear he's a real ***t of a boss.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts

Adam make sure you post pics for us to see mate..

Paolo sweet mate ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
awesome work, that's going to be one animal alright.

is that 4x4s lipo's u got in there?

1 - 20 of 134 Posts