Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
general topic bout car bodies....

what way do you guys paint your body??, cut first, paint then decal??....

what do you look for when chossing a body for your new machine??

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I am with Jiggen in this one.

As for painting, darkest colours first. If you only have a touch of black and don't want to mask the whole body first, mask out the black section and then apply a coat of silver over the lighter colours prior to painting the black. Silver will not allow the black to "darken" lighter paints.

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah heard that before...i was just curious to see how you all paint
them, ive seen ppl paint, cut and trim, then decals, ive seen cut,
decal, and paint..

Nismo

·
Registered
793 Posts
i cut, then paint, then decal. I like to leave all the windows andwindsheilds clear, so i can see inside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha...yeah lot of ppl leave it clear...on street cars i like to have them tinted..looks better..

Nismo

·
Registered
596 Posts
i leave the windows clear as well as i am too lazy/cheap to buy/spray on tamiya smoke paint for the tinted window look

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
One can of PS31 Smoke lasts me about 20-30 bodies' worth so it ain't much of an extra expense. I paint it so that it looks fogged too, not just clear tinted.

On show bodies, I also paint the insides of the shell black. There is nothing worse than seeing the body-coloured inner door panels which is obvious when the windows aren't tinted, really naff paintjob imho.

Racing bodies I don't do the black as I'd try not to use too much paint. Also try to avoid metallics and the need to back with PS12 Silver, as mets are very heavy. Its possible to add 50g+ to a shell just with paint!!

Yeah I've seen examples of lazyness where the entire body is 1 colour (white!?!) but hey... if you're gonna spend $50 (a day's disposable wages, yikes) on a shell, might as well paint it nice and be proud of it.

Tamiya's latest "Translucent" colours add so many more painting options too!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Zoomer,

I guess if you consider a can of Tamiya Paint is 100ml.... I have seen some people go crazy and use a full tin on a body, it makes sense that the weight can add up. Just never considered it.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well ive never painted a body before..hopefully getting a NIB car soon.....so ill guess i will paint one then

any tips welcome fello members...

Nismo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when im painting i only do about 6 thin coats and i wait about 15 mins before each coat, and put the can in the sun or in a bowl ofwarm water for about 10 minutes to the paint warms up and comes out thinner.

·
Registered
596 Posts
with race bodies i don't go crazy with ellaborate designs as its not worth the effort. a race body will last me about half a year of racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahh ok.....i guess its me first go, so ill take it slow.....

its only gunna be a runner body for up the street..so i guess ill go a one colour design for now

Nismo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts