4,150 Posts
Man, that looks absolutely sweet!!

Can't wait to see it once its stickered and mounted

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks guys :)

Quick update.

Here's the Jofer tray all laid out ready for fitting :)

Bit bummed about the X4 plate, but at least it means I got the right one ;)

And some pics of the body stickered up ready to go. Stayed fairly light with the stickers as the colours don't match my paint scheme :'(

Left side, right side is the same

Front view

And rear view

Cheers boys
Benny

· Registered
3,652 Posts
tray looks sweet!

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ok, so the V4 is all run in and ready to hit the track :)

Round 2 of the SALS winter series is this Sunday at our track at Monarto and I'm hanging to get out there and cut some laps.

Lastly here's a pic of the Jofer tray mounted up

And a couple of the beast after finishing run in, with the body on :)

Some of you Adelaide guys should come up for a look, we have 5 racers coming over from Vic and 1 coming over from New Zealand for this round, so it should be a blast.

If anyone needs directions to the track shoot me a PM and I'll let you know.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.052375,138.582579

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
After a bit of a false start and a few teething problems to racing today I ended up having a great day.

First heat of 4WD Am I got 1 and a half laps in before she stopped and wouldn't restart :(. Quick check and found the kill button was stuffed. Fitted a new one and got ready for the second heat.

Heat 2 I managed just over 2 laps before she died and wouldn't restart again. Tracked down to a dead coil. Fitted a new coil and waited for the final.

Ended up with a 2nd place in the final after a great, race long, 3 way tussle for first. Awesome racing by all of us and I reckon I could have had 1st if I could have kept it straight.

Had a heap of spectators out to watch as well, so everyone had a great day.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.248101,138.709560

· Registered
3,652 Posts
great result over all benny, well done mate!

· Registered
3,652 Posts
yep true that benny, should make it all the more sweeter! ;)

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Right, long time between updates but here we go.

Ended up with 2nd in the 4WD Amateur class of the SALS Winter race series, so I was well chuffed with that, considering, due to work commitments, I could only make it to 3 of the 5 rounds.

So post race series I have stripped the buggy right down and decided on a full rebuild. Will be using a lightened MCD Factory Team chassis, alloy gear carrier (thanks stephoon) and a full set of MCD alloy lower arms, as well as alloy upper and lower front and rear diff housings (once they are available)

Also have an OBR Prostock ported 27.2cc motor to put in it to replace the G290, which has found a new home in my Baja.

Will have a bunch of pics once all the bits get here and will update as needed :)

Cheers
Benny

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ok, update time :)

After the winter series I stripped the MCD ready for a birthday in preparation of receiving it's new heart, being an OBR Prostock 27.2 :D. Upon removing the old G290 I found this

The fancover mounts have worn 2 great grooves into the chassis :eek:. These bolts were always tight and I checked them religiously after each round. After some discussion between the MCD owners of SALS the only thing that it can be put down to is the plastic gear carrier flexing.

Of course, that chassis is now cactus, necessitating a replacement. With this in mind I headed out to PSR and picked up some new bits

New 7075 lightweight chassis :), full set of lower alloy arms :), alloy gear carrier (which won't flex) :) and a new centre diff housing as the old one looks a bit sad.

And out of the packets

Can't wait to start the rebuild with all these flash new bits and engine :D and join the boys back on the track with their shiny buggies.

Pics to come as I get it together

Cheers
Benny

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Nice bits Benny... With the rear drive shaft, just check that it's not starting to warp or otherwise you have not cut away enough alloy from the bottom of the engine.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
No worries, thanks for the tip Franco, re-assembly starts tonight so I'll check it before I start. If it's cactus I might just have to grab the factory team driveshaft ;)

Hope you enjoyed your trip :)

· Registered
1,283 Posts
FT gear should be the go, will be replacing my drive-line components as required... but not before.

Had a fantastic time on the cruise, recommend it to all... thanks.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.