Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain the pros & cons of a BEC ESC in an FE boat?

Regards, Brett.

·
Vendor
759 Posts
It'd be the same as in anything else wouldn't it? If its a linear BEC, the more volts your battery has, the less amperage the BEC can provide to the servos. 2 digital servos will need a good 1A between them at times, which is more than a linear BEC can provide at even 3s LiPo voltage. The relationship between battery voltage and BEC output amperage is inversely proportational - if batt voltage goes up, BEC output goes down.

If you get an ESC with a switching BEC, you'll get MUCH better power to your electronics.

Personally, it doesn't matter what ESC I'm running, if its an electric vehicle, I use an external BEC. That way if the ESC dies/fries you still have control of the vehicle.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey cdis,

I have this question posted on a few forums and this is the best explenation so far!

Thanks for the help! Brett.

·
Vendor
759 Posts
No worries mate, here to help lol. I forgot to mention with any internal BEC on an ESC there's the issue of heat.

The reason why Linear BECs are terrible is because in order to transform the high voltage of your battery pack (for example a 3s LiPo is 11.1v) down to 4.8-6v for your receiver, the Linear BEC just bleeds off the extra energy as heat. Obviuosly, the hotter the BEC and ESC gets, the less the power output becomes everything becomes less effiecient.

All a switching BEC does is switch on and off really fast, so the voltage going to the ESC is 6v, down from whatever. They have the same heat problem, but MUCH less than a linear BEC.

That's why I always use a external Switching BEC. Here are a few:

Dimension Engineering ParkBEC
- Good for 5v output and 6v-33.6v input
I don't have any of these because the output is only 5v

Dimension Engineering SportsBEC - 5/6v selectable output and 9v-33.6v input. These are awesome little BECs, I got a couple :D

Castle Creations BEC - Programmable output 4.8v-9v, max 25v input (6s LiPo). These things are tiny, awesome, and programming the output voltage by the computer software is so cool. You have to buy a castle link cable seperately however. I got 2 of these, which I use in my brushless conversion cars.
Just be aware with the CC BEC, when it fails, in most cases it fails OPEN. That means when it dies, it doesn't close the circut, it opens it, meaning that FULL voltage from the battery pack goes straight through to your electronics. So anything much over 2s LiPo would mean death to your electronics.

All that said, I abuse the 2 I have and have had no problems so far (fingers crossed).

If you want, you can swing me some rep points (click the button that looks like a set of scales under my name to the left <---)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
...If you want, you can swing me some rep points (click the button that looks like a set of scales under my name to the left <---)
Haha, that was subtle!!! I love how you describe how to give rep too!!! :D

But seriously, good post. I found it quite informative as well!

Thanks mate

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I see, I saw 10 points, but I thought that was just AUSRC, but now I see Skidd and Obliv and those boys have quite large rep.

Also, nothing is as bad as NitroBurner!!! He has something along the line of - "Find my post helpful/useful, why not add to my rep points with the button below!!!

Hahaha, nice try NB :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.