Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah i think 2 days ago i noticedmy 1400mah tamiyabattery plug getting hot...while charging the battery the plug is not hot...

my team orion 2400mah battery is fine...

whats happening?

there are nocuts on the wire...the battery has no tears...

G

·
its the standard tamiya plug....ive gone to using Deans ultra
plugs...and they seem to never get hot...and transfer the power better
too....

Nismo

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the plug was never hot until like 2 days ago..so what is happening? errr

what is ultra plugs? i don't see what a difference there can be...

isn'tall thats in the plug is the wire with metal caps???

·
Registered
596 Posts
deans connectors have lower resistance compared to the standard tamiya plugs. the higher resistance of the tamiya plug means heat will be generated aa currant is lost. In extreme conditions it is possible to melt the connection together.

you can use deans connectors on the battery , esc and motor . here is a pic

·
Registered
596 Posts
you should also keep in mind that mod motors draw more current from your battery compared to you the original silver can motor that came with your kit. this too will heat up the connectors

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Changing to Deans means changing ALL your plugs on your batteries, charger/s & car. Deans plugs are like $8-10 a pair, so that's not a cheap venture.

Tamiya plugs do need the occasional cleaning to keep them working well. Use motor spray & a toothpick to clean inside the metal contacts.

Also use a tiny screwdriver to push close the 'female' plug (car/charger); these open up with use.

If you're good with soldering... I'd also go an solder the wire onto the metal contacts - this is a big cause of heating. However you'll have to find a way of getting the plugs out of the nylon sockets (push in the little tabs inside).

With a little maintenance & common sense the Tamiya plugs work well.

G

·
deans plugs up to $10

yeah right....i got some for $4 a set..i bought 3 sets for $12

they where deans super plugs

Nismo

·
Registered
596 Posts
eagle racing make exact copies of deans plugs as well. ryper hobbies sell em for 8 bux a pair or male and female

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i search last night...hmmm...2pairs for $12

so i need 2 pairs?

1 male for ESC, 1 male for charger and 2 female for my 2 batts? wouldn't warranty be void?

man if tamiyaplugs are gonna get hot...why don't they just use dean plugs as a standard...damn these tamiya plugs are a waste then?

·
Registered
596 Posts
2 pairs will do it yes. the conntection from your motor can be direct soldered or you can use deans as well. if you do this its is best to use male on the motor side and female on the esc side so that you dont confuse the 2 sets of wires coming out of you esc

changing plugs on you esc will void your warrantee but you shouldn't worry too much as futaba speedys are relaiable provided you don't get them wet or short them out. My mc330cr speedie as seen over a year of abuse and is still going strong. i have deans on both the battery and motor side as well

·
Registered
596 Posts
pic of the evo 3 with deans installed. well eagle racing deans plugs which are exactly the same bar color. deans also do a bulk female pack as well so thats covered when you get extra batteries

G

·

if you look it says $4...

if you want i can get some more.....i though holy crap thats cheap..as ive seen tamiya plugs for $3 a set...

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Umm... hope you've noticed those are copies, NOT the Real Deal?? (Get yer facts straight, will ya pls? Compare apples with apples, not backyard IBM PC clones!
)

The REAL stuff looks like these:

The REAL goods cost between A$7.50-9.95 at the LHSes I checkin at. Probably a bit cheaper if bought direct from USA - where they're made.

Not saying the cheap copies (asian/china?) won't work; heck I also see lots of cheap Rollex watches at the night markets. Also heaps of ppl walking around wearing Rolax & TugHuey and carrying their VL, Channel & Guccci as if others can't tell from a mile off *sad*. Dunno about you folk but if I can't afford to buy genuine luxury goods, I rather not be advertising the fact by buying their fakes.

At least the fakes also come in different colours other than Red - pro or con?

But genuine Deans have worked well for me all this while, so no reason to change. I get real if only for the peace of mind. Works too well in fact... if they weren't working without rest all night, wouldn't have scraped the wall at 74-76km/h:

G

·
man they do the same job...and at $4 its cheap too.....

all the ppl down here use them...

any you must be a bad driver...ive never killed my car that bad...

Nismo

·
Registered
596 Posts
don't think its fair to blame a set of plugs for YOU putting your car into a wall

1 - 20 of 25 Posts