1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

can i charge this 5 cell pack for micro with that charger pictured??, i
dunno much about the charger, just that it is a 15min quick
charge...and has a 7amp fuse...

designed for 1200mah batts..

the micro pack is a 900mah nimh i think...made up of 2/3 batts.

thanks

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yeah, after last time we spoke on this I went and measured the same one I have. It only pumps 2.5-3A into a 7.2V battery; you probably need about 2 full knob turns to fully charge a 1500 pack.

The current into a 6V will be a little higher, but 1x 15 mins turn should charge your 900mAh pack fine - as long as you discharge the battery before charging.

(if not discharged, the time needed to charge the battery will be less & you risk overcharging)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok then,

thanks zoomer..if i dont discharge, is there a way to tell how long it
will take??...if the pack gets warm i take off, cause ive heard soon as
a nimh batt gets warm you take it off?

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Heat is very hit-n-miss... but yeah, if you feel its getting anywhere warm (~40degC) take it off immediately.

A better idea is to monitor the voltage whilst its charging. Hook a digital voltmeter to the battery whilst its charging & watch the volts rise.

1) for a 5-cell pack on that charger, do not let it go above 7.50V

2) if you're there watching it continuously you'll see the volts rise & rise... until around the 7.50V mark the volts will start dropping. Stop charging when it does that.

If the turnaround happens at less than 7.5V, remember that reading and next time you charge don't charge the battery more than that voltage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh ok now i get, thats the drop off voltage..cool.

ill give that a shot then...

thanks again.

Nismo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts