Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have anitro car and the reciever takes 4 AA batts and the transmitter takes 8 AA batts. Now, the batteries that came with it are 1.5v, so if the batteries are run in series, the reciever is getting 6v and the transmitter is getting 12v.

I just bought some 2000mAh NI-MH AA batteries from Jaycar and found out that they're 1.2v... If the batteries are run in series, this would mean that the reciever/servos will only be getting 4.8v instead of 6v and the transmitter will only be getting 9.6v instead of 12v.

My questions are... What voltage does the transmitter and reciever actually run off? Are the batteries in parallel or series?

What are theproblems that the lower voltagewill cause? Slower servo movement? Reduced recieving and transmitting range?

Cheers.
Edited by: Stone

·
Registered
596 Posts
rechargable nicads and nimh cellsa are 1.2 volts where as alkaline batteries are 1.5v in your rx pack the lesser voltage just means slower and less torque available from your servos. you can get 5 cell rx packs which will still give you 6v.

as for your tx using 9.6v is fine. high end tx units are battery whores so rechargeables are really the way to go. my KO vantage will get 1 race night on a set of 8 duracell alkalines or 4 race nights on a set of energizer 1850 nimh rechargeables. range as not been a problem with them

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Stone said:
I just bought some 2000mAh NI-MH AA batteries from Jaycar ...

If these are their "no brand" cells, I'd be VERY CAREFUL.

I have gone thru a pile of these and have had unacceptable failure rates... and when I went back to the store, they flatly REFUSED TO HONOUR THEIR "WARRANTY".

(Not only that, the idiots at the MELBOURNE store was so RUDE about it - I will never go back to spend my $$ there again.
)

In short, those no-name cells are crap (Jaycrap!)and I wouldn't trust them in my RCs.

Add in the cost of all those dead ones and it would have beencheaper to buy proper brandname cells.

My questions are... What voltage does the transmitter and reciever actually run off? Are the batteries in parallel or series?

Series, always series.

As Jigg says, your RX expects 6V - don't feed it 4.8V. Best to get a hardwired 5-cell rechargeable pack, never put loose cells into the 4-AA holder.

The TX can live on 10-12V... 8-AAs will work fine.

(There are some over-eager guys that build 10-AA rechargeable external "pocket Packs"... but do remember that freshly-charged batteries can have a much higher voltage than 1.2V. I have heard of some having blown up their TXes with 10AAs, so best not risk it.)

G

·
thats weird....

ive got named nicad AA batts, i used to run 4 of those in my micro and
about 10mins into using there is not enough power to run both motor and
servo, so its either steer or go straight...by there way they where
1.5v batts, so 6v....

then i got some 1.2v AA 1800NimH batts and using 4 of those is 4.8v but
there is full power for over an hour..then the car just dumps in about
30seconds...and i have had no problems..mind you the micro takes full
size electrics...so my ESC must be able to handle 4 cells, or my batts
are just super charged!!

Nismo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

What stores can you get name brand Ni-MH rechargeables from?

My car doesn't have room for a 5-cell pack, the 4-cell only justs fits before putting the cover on.

G

·
i got mine of Ebay, they are really good ones...there dynacharge ones,
and work well for me, no probs so far....and they dont get hot either...

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Stone said:
What stores can you get name brand Ni-MH rechargeables from?

For loose 'consumer' NiMH AAs that are easily available in Aust, I swearby Energizers (silver & green, make sure they're "Made in Japan"). I have bought them from Bunnings, Coles & my local Post Office..!!
Priced from ~$10/pr.

Using both AAs & AAAs - they've got pretty good punch and work better than most other NiMHs.

My car doesn't have room for a 5-cell pack, the 4-cell only justs fits before putting the cover on.

You need to buy a custom RX pack then, a good investment.

There's packs that stack 5-cells in a 'W' shape, they're usually 1/2 A cells - this should fit into the same volume as 4AA battery holder.

Best is to take your car into your local hobby shop and ask them what they've got. Test to find one that fits your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts