Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst browsing the Australian Customs Service
website looking for some importation information I found the following
information which might interest people importing RC gear.

Given this information it is curious to why customs are stopping my
packages at around the $500 mark, and to why I had to pay GST on my
Savage which clearly wasn't more than $1000?

What advice does Customs offer to people buying over the internet?

Customs advises people purchasing goods over the internet to be
aware that when those goods arrive in Australia they will be subject to
Customs controls.

In some cases this means:

<ul>
[*]

duty and GST may be payable;
[*]

it may be a prohibited import and require a permit before it is allowed into the country; or
[*]

it may be a prohibited import and not allowed into the country under
any circumstance and will be seized by Customs for destruction
[/list]

Customs would not collect duty and/or GST where</span>:

<ul>
[*]the value of the goods does not exceed $1000 for goods imported by
post</span> or $250 for goods imported air/sea cargo, other than by post; and [*]the Customs duty and/or GST liability of the goods does not exceed $50.
[/list]

This concession does not apply to:

<ul>
[*]tobacco, tobacco products or alcoholic beverages;[*]goods imported by a passenger arriving in Australia from overseas;[*]goods imported by a member of the crew of a ship or aircraft arriving from overseas; or[*]goods forming part of a bulk order.
[/list]

Most imported goods valued at or below the threshold amounts can be
cleared on an Informal Clearance Document, although a formal Customs
entry may also be used. If a formal entry is used, a Customs processing
charge would apply.

If a courier or broker is used, they will charge for their services.
Accordingly, they should be consulted beforehand to find out their
costs and charges.

Customs Information Centres are available on 1300 363 263 throughout
Australia and can answer queries about goods purchased over the
internet or any other Customs matters.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Well if I'm reading that correct (and it seems like plain English) then a savage importedthrough the post should be import duty free but a savage sent to you through other means, like UPS or FEDEX would attract import duties. Edited by: Skidd

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Customs would not collect duty and/or GST..does not exceed $1000"

</span>Well
that's what I read it as too - but I deffinately had to pay extra to
when it arrived (it came by post) But from what I have read I shouldn't
have even paid GST on it?</span></span></span></span></span></span>

</span>

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Here you go mate... Direct from their Import / Exporters guide;

<O
</O

<O
</O

Importing goods<O
</O

All goods imported into<st1:country-region>Australia</ST1
la m</st1:country-region>ust be cleared by Customs. Importers are responsible for obtaining a formal Customs clearance for goods above set value limits (currently $250 for goods imported by sea and air cargo and $1000 for goods imported through the postal system).
</O

Consignments valued at or below these amounts may be cleared through use of an approved Informal Clearance Document (ICD), available at Customs offices. Customs applies cost-recovery charges for the processing of entries by Customs. These costs depend on whether the entry is submitted as an electronic entry or as a documentary (manual) entry. Goods entering <st1:country-region><ST1
Australia</ST1
</st1:country-region> can attract Customs duty and/or GST and other taxes and charges. Customs duty rates vary and depend on a number of factors, such as type of <O
</O
goods and country of origin. For advice on charges, duty rates, as well as any other<O
</O

Customs matters, contact the Customs Information Centre on 1300 363 263.<O
</O

Assistance for Private Importers<O
</O

If you are a private importer and want to clear your own goods, you should contact the Customs Information Centre on 1300 363 263 for advice on the requirements and operating hours.

<O
</O

<O
</O

Then the fine print about GST…

<O
</O

This information is intended as a guide. If you need more information or you are not sure of the requirements that apply to you, email [email protected]. You can also contact a Customs Information Centre on 1300 363 263 from anywhere in <st1:country-region>Australia</st1:country-region>or +61 2 6275 6666 from outside <st1:country-region><ST1
lace Australia </st1:country-region>March 2002

Goods and Services Tax (GST)<O
</O

GST applies to most imported goods. There are few exemptions from the GST, the main ones being certain foodstuffs, some medical aids and appliances and imports that qualify for certain customs duty concessions.<O
</O

<O
</O

Subject to eligibility criteria, importers who are registered for GST might be able to defer the payment on imported goods by participating in the Deferred GST Scheme. Participants in the scheme can account for importations in their first Business Activity Statement (BAS) after they make an importation. Importers can apply to defer GST through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) on 1300 130 915. Further information on deferral can be obtained by emailing [email protected]<O
</O

<O
</O

GST is applied at 10 per cent of the value of the taxable importation (VoTI). The value of<O
</O

the taxable importation is the sum of:<O
</O

• the customs value of the imported goods, and<O
</O

• any customs duty payable, and<O
</O

• the amount paid or payable to transport the goods to <st1:country-region>Australia</st1:country-region> and to insure the goods for that transport, and<O
</O

• any wine tax payable (see following section).<O
</O

The following example shows how GST liability is calculated:<O
</O

<O
</O

AU$ Customs value 1,000.00<O
</O

Customs duty @ 5 per cent x $1,000 50.00 (Payable)<O
</O

International transport and insurance 150.00<O
</O

Wine tax (if applicable - see following section) 0.00<O
</O

VoTI 1,200.00<O
</O

GST @ 10 per cent x $1,200 120.00 (Payable)<O
</O

Total payable (customs duty + GST) 170.00<O
</O

Edited by: Skidd

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
jerrah said:
...it is curious to why customs are stopping my packages at around the $500 mark, and to why I had to pay GST on my Savage which clearly wasn't more than $1000?

think you've answered your own question...

Customs would not collect duty and/or GST where:
<UL>
<LI>the value of the goods does not exceed $1000 for goods imported by post or $250 for goods imported air/sea cargo, other than by post; and
<LI>the Customs duty and/or GST liability of the goods does not exceed $50.
</LI>[/list]

Your $500 ex-tax truck would have $50 GST owning on it... so you get hit.

If they've already met their quota for the day then I suppose they can let a few < $1000 valued packages slide thru...

Why "$50"? Speculation says that's how much it costs in labour to do the paperwork, so Customs is better off not billing you when they're only collecting less than $50. Pure simple economics.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
So if i was to import $1450 AU of mobile phones, I would definetly get charged around $200 customs/gst.

What if it was sent as a gift with no value?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Actually GST tax is a good thing. Imagine if there were no GST, the
local hobby shops would have gone broke by people on ebay selling
imported goods.

sherbrodski

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Morphy said:
So if i was to import $1450 AU of mobile phones, I would definetly get charged around $200 customs/gst.

What if it was sent as a gift with no value?

There is a whole section in their rules devoted to value of the taxable importation (VoTI)... basically they can choose to charge you the value of eqivilent goods here in Oz. I guess they get the say in the end as to what it is worth. I know in the past I have not paid any duty or GST on replacement items sent under warranty.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
replacement items sent under warranty - never thought of that. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
well my mate orderd a new tmaxx from tower, at $379USD

he had to pay $66 at the post office, to get his truck..

A month later he ordered a Nitro Sport SE stadium truck for his son. The trucks value was about $250USD, and nothing was charged..

I have had many many tower orders around $250 - $300USD. they never charged me anything.

I guess like stated in the above post(s) the Tmaxx was valued at over $500Aus and thats why he was slugged the fee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.