Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AUSRC.COM v3 - GOES LIVE!!

Well, after quite a few weeks of testing, and a long night on the migration of the production server, I am proud to announce the official launch of AUSRC.COM v3. The site is now hosted on vBulletin 4 which is probably one of the most robust and well support community platforms available.

So, what new features are available to our members:

• A new look
  • All members now have access to a personal Blog
  • A new and improved iTrader system
  • A Chatroom
Just to name a few.

In the next week we will launch the Subscriptions, and we will be updating badges to recognise all of the members that have contributed in the past. Subscriptions will not only include additional forum features (like access to groups and albums), but they will also come with merchandise from the AUSRC.COM shop whih is soon to be launched.

Clubs can benefit from the new Group features, and will now be able to control their own memberships to the Clubs "Private" group area. Some of this final setup is still to take place, and I will be discussing this with the various club leaders over the next few days.

One of the biggest tasks we have undertaken is the re-writing of the AUSRC.COM rules, and an expansion of the member infraction system. Everyone will be required to read, and agree to the rules before they are permitted to post. I encourage you to read the rules carefully. We have made what I consider to be some significant changes in the area of "Informational Links and Content". I think this should allow for a far greater level of information exchange within our community.

I would like to thank the members of the test team for their time to date. By no means do I think we have everything 100% right... but in the interest of getting the community back on line, I will work through any issues that arise over the next few weeks. Please post bugs or feedback into the "AUSRC.COM v3 - Bugs and Feedback" thread for actioning.

A few things to note:

• Embedded Video - the new vBulletin system has "broken" the way that video embedding used to work. As such any exisiting threads containing video content will now appear as links. If it is your thread, you can edit it, use the "Post Video" button to re-post the link, and it will come good. The Moderating team (if time permits) will also fix videos as we come across them.
  • Chatbox - I have left the chatbox on quiet a few pages, so let's see how it performs. If you prefer, you can click on the "Chatbox Full" link in the Navbar and keep it open, full screen, in a seperate tab.
  • The layout is different, so please take some time to look around. Use the chatbox if you are not sure, and hopefully some of the guys that have been playing with this version will be around to help you out.
I don't expect everything to be perfect, so please speak up if you see something strange.

But most importantly... enjoy the new functionality, and let's take the next step in consolidating AUSRC.COM as Australia's premier R/C community.

Regards,
Chris.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Good work Chris, it's takes a bit of getting used to signing into this new site, but I am slowly learning to love it, and it's works very well!

Live it, learn it, love it!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jules.

I think once people get used to it, they will like it. Having been playing with the forum in this version for a few months now... it seems very familiar to me... even though I know it's not.

Later tonight I am going to do a few posts on some of the new bits, so people can start using them... things like tagging posts, etc.

Once it all starts to come together, it should make for a better experience for everyone.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Cheers Jules.

I think once people get used to it, they will like it. Having been playing with the forum in this version for a few months now... it seems very familiar to me... even though I know it's not.
Yeah the more I play around the more things seem familiar, which is good as I hate a completely new design and function to learn!

Good on ya Chris!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think you have put a lot of time and effort into this new site ...it couldn't of been easy.

But I have to say that I don't like it at all, it looks washed out and is all over the place as far I can see.
Don't all jump on the ban wagon against me, its my opinion and thats what I think.

Hopefully in time I will get use to it

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I like the new site for sure! But i am with Baja Widow, I think it is hard on the eyes! The colours of the V2 were easy to see and read.

I am looking forward to the subscriptions as I will be getting one for fathers day I am told by the missus. That and the merchandise is a great idea! bring that on!

Matt

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Hi AUSRC! :D

I don't know what you guys are talking about... How can white and light blue be hard on the eyes? Lol.

The only thing I'd like back is the top 10 most recent posts on the front page... I know there's one on the right hand side but it's not that great.

Cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think you have put a lot of time and effort into this new site ...it couldn't of been easy.

But I have to say that I don't like it at all, it looks washed out and is all over the place as far I can see.
Don't all jump on the ban wagon against me, its my opinion and thats what I think.

I like the new site for sure! But i am with Baja Widow, I think it is hard on the eyes! The colours of the V2 were easy to see and read.

I am looking forward to the subscriptions as I will be getting one for fathers day I am told by the missus. That and the merchandise is a great idea! bring that on!

Matt
the longer you use it the more use to it you get:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think we will all get use to the new site soon. I remeber when I first started going on ausrc and I didnt know how every thing worked and it was wierd and confusing but before I knew the site like the back of my hand.

+1 bring on the ausrc mechendice :thumb:

Cheers,
Riley

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will look into some alternate colours.

I have been more worried about functions than looks... so that is a fair call.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well done, a great upgrade.
I am happy with the colours so far, some other forums I am on have "skins" whereby you can choose the colour scheme yourself from a variety of about 8 different templates which were put together by the forum owner. Could be an option for people wanting a different look to the standard scheme.
BTW, is the site tapatalk enabled? Makes it a dream to run through the iphone then.
Cheers and THANKS!
Nolan

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

This is exactely what I think of the new site as well. It also seems to take forever to load up on my smart phone even when connected to wifi.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW, is the site tapatalk enabled? Makes it a dream to run through the iphone then.
Cheers and THANKS!
Hi Nolan,

I checked this out, and yes it is now... playing with the free Tapatalk app on my iPhone... even though the free app is Read Only... it is pretty cool.

Cheers,
Chris.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Great work Chris & Team.

I have been overseas for work over the last two weeks.

I came home and logged into this site for the first time. What a change!

Migration of forum content and users roles can't have been an enjoyable exercise. There is always going to be a bit of noise after a change. Take in the good, ignore the 'poor me' compaints - and give yourself a well deserved carton of beer. In one sitting.

Love the new functions. Now gotta learn me how to use it more gooderer.

Congratulations on taking this community to the next level.

·
Registered
562 Posts
live etc

looks very well done and a lot of work has gone into it a very usefull tool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts