Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that were trying to access the site today may have noticed a couple of disruptions to the service.

This is because AUSRC.COM now has a new home.

It is possible that the "Active Topics", and your "Last Login Time" may not function as planned over the next 24 hours,while the timezonesare re-synced. The server is now running out of the USA and I have adjusted all Australian members time offsets to suit the new time zone. I have also updated all posts so that they reflect the time that they were posted. Please check your Profile the next time you log in. The time offset is at the bottom of the page, and you need to adjust according to the Server Time,not the Australian Offset to GMT. For Brisbane this means +15, Sydnet and Melbourne +16, Perth, +13, etc. As I said, most of these have been updated, soI am sure you can work it out from here.

Please let me know if you find anything that is not working as expected. The site is now backended into Microsoft SQL Server so it should also perform better than before.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
PM seems to not work, i get a short list sorta thing, something about server missing, bits need replacing or something

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nismo,

Just PMed you. All seems good now. Thanks for the Heads Up.

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CORRECTION - Even I don't know where the bloody site is hosted - hehehehe

Not quite true. The site is not in the USA, it is in India.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good service, good price, good reviews, bloody long wayaway.....

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Who cares? Back in Uni days when we were mucking about with this new-fangled invention called NCSA Mosaic (nahh, it'll never take off), we got so bored once that we geeks decided to ping various servers to find the worst ping times.

Worst was about 440ms I think... round the world and back.

Anyhow, a LOT more than serving is going on in Mumbai and Bangalore than a typical Ozzie thinks. (My background is in finance/banking with an interest in biz IT/MIS, so I'm more in the loop than most.)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, well my background is IT. I think that's why I didn't really take any notice of where the server was in the first place - because as you say - It doesn't make any difference.

India have huge IT infrastructure these days, so I wasn't that suprised. Major companies like Holden (General Motors) have their entire IT development team residing in India.

Going completely off topic - when I was at Uni we could use Telnet to browse the Library catalogue using dialup... so user friendly and easy on the eye... NOT. Compuserve was huge (and expensive), Austpac had these things called "Mailboxes" and every kid on the block wanted to run his own BBS so he could call himself a SysOp..... only mum and dad wouldn't let him tie up the phone line. Here ends the trip down memory lane.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
AUSRC said:
Yeah, well my background is IT. I think that's why I didn't really take any notice of where the server was in the first place - because as you say - It doesn't make any difference.

Don't blame you. I hire server space o/s (I think they're in US, not sure haha) too. Jeez, I would have preferred not to be billed in USD but the local offerings were just totally uncompetitive & not even close to the market. And that was when USD was 50c, now its 76+ and I ain't crying.

Going completely off topic - when I was at Uni we could use Telnet to browse the Library catalogue using dialup... so user friendly and easy on the eye... NOT. Compuserve was huge (and expensive), Austpac had these things called "Mailboxes" and every kid on the block wanted to run his own BBS so he could call himself a SysOp..... only mum and dad wouldn't let him tie up the phone line. Here ends the trip down memory lane.

Yep, sounds like we're of same vintage.

Telnet'ed the library to check/reserve books, RLOGIN'd to the Uni Sparc to read our mail using ELM, editted text via VI and checked up on news with NN.

Knew geek friends who filled up every ISA slot in their PC so they could run 4 modems and 4 dedicated phone lines in their bedroom to be a super Sysop... that'll get you Respect on the ARPANET heeheehee.

These same guys... we didn't have DNS and they knew all the x.x.x.x by heart.

Sad part is... have been playing RC longer than PC.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zoomer,

Reading your post has me in fits of laughter... VI how much power could any user want .....

I am a 1971 baby - how about yourself?

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
'73, quite close.

1976 got toy RC, 1977 got 'real' RC by Imai to race, 1978 got 1st Tamiya.
Went downhill from there, too far bitten by the red & blue stars to quit. Tried cold turkey for a few yrs (uni, girls, BBS etc y'know) but nup, addiction's come back strong in the last 5 yrs.

Oh yeah, Apple// in 1982.
1Mhz 6502 with the whole 64k RAM, yeah baby!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Whoops, my bad.

That should be "Apple ][".

The // only came with the Apple //gslater.

Yeah, severe topic detour / digression here, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My forum - I will have to chastise myself.... hope one of my mods don't mod me.

G

·
A little off topic dont you think

i guess this one time it can slide

no it cant, lol......its off topic..and it must stay on topic.....umm what was this topic about anyway.....?

......ohh new location, right......

Nismo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts