Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love bikes so naturally im thinking of getting and rc bike. Ive seen some in shops and on the net, but never actually driving. Does anyone have one? can you get nitro ones? Im having a hard time imagining how precise the balance would have to be

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can get electric ones from Tandy. I saw one go, about maybe 5-10kph tops. Sorta stopped on grass or bumpy cement but when it fell over it got back up again
, maybe a lot of weight in the bottom.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
finny said:
You can get electric ones from Tandy. I saw one go, about maybe 5-10kph tops. Sorta stopped on grass or bumpy cement but when it fell over it got back up again
, maybe a lot of weight in the bottom.

Thanks mate, but im thinking slightly better than one of them

cheers for the input though

·
Registered
332 Posts
yeah theres one at my LHS.

around 25cm long...

yeah i have never seen one in action yet...

i reckon the maneuverability is limited because you don't have the persons weight to shift the bike around

so no wheelies...

doh...thats right yeah? just mythought...

a car is different because the person doesn't do crap all except steer and throttle which you have with a 2 channel radio.Edited by: migoreng

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
migoreng said:
so no wheelies...

doh...thats right yeah? just mythought...

One of the Novak BLs currently sitting on my workbench supposedly came out of a m/bike.

Crazy Queenslanders...!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
motorbike drifting!

i saw a real life pic before...

the rider was leaning and he was countersteering

G

·
actually i read on the net somewhere, <ill try and find it>

that the person on the bike actually does move..

something about the person is built in segments, and when the bike leans, the body sort of rolls to the one side

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There would have to be some system of shifting weight or else it would be impossible to steer!

·
Registered
332 Posts
which robot can move things quickly and predict physics?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Look, let me bore you with the historyon RC m/bikes...

World's First out on the scene was Kyosho with their Citi Rider in 1979. It was totally conventional as you'd imagine - had sprung forks in front and hinged trailing arm at back, wheel driven by chain. They were sold assembled into which you installed your own radio; it ran a 540 motor - I restored one of these years ago but have never tried running it. These things are solid metal chassis!! Lexan fairings, ABS for rider lumps and nylon jumpsuit.

Steering servo sat in the 'seat' and was directly connected to the pivoting front fork. Speedcontrol by wirewound/wiper MSC, RX sat in the pillion's seat. Battery was slung below, used a stock Kyosho 5N subC pack. It is quite a large bike, probablt 1/8 scale.

In the mid-late 80s (10 yrs on) Kyosho again dominated the scene with the "Hanging On Rider" series. Now made largely out of plastic (frame, body etc) and the Rider pivoted with the steering. Steering still had a direct connection to the servo. These were smaller I think... probably 1/10?

Thunder Tiger came out with theirs in the mid 90s, with the disconnected steering. Battery was slung in a cradle down low, which pivoted via servo. The weight change did the steering... well I guess its much "safer" for newbies to ride that RC bike. This is bigger than the plastic Kyoshos maybe 1/7 or 1/8.

The latest lot of Nuova bikes (and a few others that are strangely similar) come in nitro & electric. Steering is connected to the servo but to tone down the effort they've introduced a floppy piece of fuel tube. Imagine fuel tube being used as an extension to the servo horn & that's it.

These nitro bikes are pretty big, could be like 1/5th. They stand about 15" tall, the wheels are about 5". And wierd too, the rubber is very sharp & pointed, not a round fat slick like on a 1:1 superbike.

·
Registered
536 Posts
well i no that thunder tiger currently build a motorbike i think its a yamaha r1 its 1/5th scale electric and about 250us at rcmart

also new era make a drag bike with a huge wheelie bar this is nitro and is about 490us but u must supply your own 12.-18. engine and radio equitment

i hope this has been enlightning for you

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Why would an R/C motorbike need a weight shifting mechanism?

Wouldn't it just steer through the handlebars like a 1:1 bike does?

·
Registered
332 Posts
it just seems it needs weight...

r/c stuff that resembles a thing that apersonrides outside just doesn't work really good i reckon.

where are knees pads of the person when they lean during a turn?

i don't think you can do such thing with an r/c bike

hmmm

ah well

actually i'm not so sure...what zoomer said above...

hmmm

well you can'tlift the front wheel off the ground anyway?

Edited by: migoreng

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Skidd said:
Why would an R/C motorbike need a weight shifting mechanism?

Wouldn't it just steer through the handlebars like a 1:1 bike does?

Don't know if you're a bikie Skiddo... but you don't steer a 1:1 solely with the 'bars either.

You'd get roadrash pretty quickly that way.

When you turn, you also would have subconsciously shifted your body weight to the inside. You'd havelearnt that when you learnt to ride a pushbike.

With a light bike like < 250... that's usually enough to lean the bike over.

But on a heavier machine eg 1000cc, a small rider would need to muscle the bike into a lean.

And on a crazy Harley with the monkey bars and the stretched front forks... geez, the castor on that is so great the front wheels don't even "steer". They just lean the bike left-n-right. They are such a pain if you have to push around into a tight space.

·
Registered
536 Posts
yeah thats wot i was thinking zoomer is the r/c guru ask him anything and he will no the answer

also zoomer how may rc cars have you owned

1 - 20 of 62 Posts