Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this entry level Tamiya Kit?

I can remember when the original Hornet was available, and am considering purchasing one of these new. I have made a deal with my local Toyworld for $150 new. I know frontline hobbies sell them for $129.95, but it will cost $17 to ship it to Brisbane.

Has anyone raced these with suitable mods? Esc, better shock oil, decent offroad wind 17turn?

·
Registered
439 Posts
What is the difference between te superhornet and the original?
my memory of the hornet from 15 years ago or so is that they were
extemely basic, only better than the grasshopper in a few ways, i
think they may even have had the same or similar chassis?
and rear engined with a live axel?
dont they have friction shocks?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
SuperHornet is based on GrasshopperII which came out in 1993; original Hornet & Grasshopper is from 1983. SH/GH2 chassis is completely updated and not interchangeable with original H/GH but you'll need both side-by-side to spot the differences.

Gearbox and transmission parts are interchangeable but not strictly identical. Those gears are bulletproof if fully ballraced. Both Hornets use 540s, both 'Hoppers run 380s.

SuperHornet has CVA oil shocks all round, Hornet has oil shocks at back only. Grasshoppers have none. Newer chassis has updated front suspension with some better camber angles but that's about it. Oh and a battery hatch cover that was secured better (uses 2 bodyclips instead of just friction).

Last year Vic ran a "Hornet Cup" race series, idea was to run stock cars with only bearings & ESC hopups allowed. Everybody ran SuperHornets... so I thought I'd be different and brought along an original Hornet.

There is not much you can do to make these cars "handle"... as a 2WD it is very tailly and the rear "suspension" with the liveaxle is pretty basic. Some tried playing with shock oils & shock placement (no noticeableimprovement), jacking down the front suspension to increase camber (not much better) and weight distribution (can't change much). Can also retrofit Grasshopper suspension which has a fixed pivot compared to the Hornets' floating pivot for the gearboxpod.

Biggest improvement is putting real soft rear tyres on - need that rear grip to avoid doing donuts and to put all that massive 540 power down.

However big problem is that SH uses 2" wheels and nobody makes 2" tyres anymore, all are 2.1 or 2.2". SH also uses a 4-pin wheel fixing arrangement so its not as easy to bung on modern hex 2.2" buggy wheels.

(but recently someone from Singapore is making some nice alloy adaptors that will let your SH/H/GH/GH2/Frog etc use hex wheels; check on TamiyaClub)

·
Registered
332 Posts
i remember playing with some buggy back in 1991 or 92. i was in year 1 or 2...eff...only one trigger...you push it to go straight or something...

hmmmm

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have one- and still use it sometimes. Have tried heaps of home grown stuff on it. Its almost bulletproof - actually I think i've only even broken one fake light so no big deal.

This thing is great in straight lines on hard surfaces, but it sufferes from a lack of steering and control. I have even modded the front wheels with my old rear tyres and it made a huge difference. The extra weight keeps the front on the ground and the width helps it to grab.

Also blocked up the floating shocks at the rear. For this car its bs IMHO.

Now that I have a savage, don't think I'll ever want the superhornet again, anyone want it for cheap?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should be getting my hornet in the next fortnight.

Zoomer, is there a link to that Hornet cup for VIDEO or Images?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i got a blazing star which is a upper class entry level car that has
esc and 19t motor on here if your interested offer me some money

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zoomer, did you ever find these adaptors? I can't find them, to allow 2.2" hex wheels to fit..

Also, what are those front runners on your Hornet in that pic? they look like SH front tyres on 2.2" Ultima rims?

·
Registered
546 Posts
zoomer the hornet cup that would be fun.. kinda crazy though stacks of very hard to drive RWD buggys skidding over the place would have been great to watch.. wat was themotor to have 540 silver or sport tuned

GS race you could try a generic HEX i have seen some 4pin hexes in cheap generic cars ill have a look around for you

put in a sport tuned motor in this bad boy will be great fun

my most recent pick up is a blazing star (zoomer guess were from?) have a spare EA tuned C2 19T and LRP IPC ESC should fit it out nicely

E-MAXX man what sorta size pinion did you run on ur 19t?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My younger brother has a very well running Super Hornet
(thanks to Incredible_Serious) .... It goes really well for a little
electric and they sure do slide out EVERYWHERE, the only place
you have grip is on the grass, sometimes not even there...

Very good little toys, i'll get a pic up later!

·
Registered
15 Posts
i bought an original super hornet from ebay around 2 months ago and rescently bought a complete set of spare parts for it..in the last month i have been kaining it and its held up ok for an old r/c..once i replace all the old parts with new ill post some pics...

p.s. does anybody have some ideas on how to modify the super hornet to make it better?Edited by: sanchez

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
GSRace said:
Zoomer, did you ever find these adaptors? I can't find them, to allow 2.2" hex wheels to fit..

nah, guys just use the Super Hornet's hub and carve a hex into it.

Also, what are those front runners on your Hornet in that pic? they look like SH front tyres on 2.2" Ultima rims?

Yep - Tamiya Super Gripper fronts on some antique Trinity wheel. Nose-up stance puts more weight on the rear to improve rear grip.

(Kyosho Ultima use some wierd imperial-size bearing for its front wheels)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
i have a super hornet and i pulled it apart for the servo's and
electrics.it was great fun i have the peices still.my lil cousin had one
and his got ran over some creep swurved at it
.he saw my nitro
and felt sad so i rebuilt one of the parts and his part i had i chucked 2
of my spare savy shocks on it and all it flies and pops monos lol with
the huge shocks it runs alright but u would have to mod alot of things
to get it race worthy

·
Registered
961 Posts
My friend has one and he managed to put an 18 turn motor in with the
mechanical servo. Doesnt heat up much at all. The steering is a little
iffy but straightline speed is quite good. You can mod if fairly well.
ESC, shocks, motor, gearing, wheels, ball bearings etc. Nothing huge
though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts