Australian RC Forums banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Bugger....If I knew that was on I would have stayed at work and finished assembling the truck. I started striping it down.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Well....
I mounted up the new battery trays but not the ESC clamp as I forgot that I didn't have a M3 tap at work.
I put some 300k diff oil in the center....helped a bit with the ballooning. Now it wheelies most of the way to its top speed which is geared for 80 kmh not including the tyre expansion.
The handling is [email protected]
I now understand why it has the stars and stripes paint scheme.......
Great in a straight line but jebus......don't turn.
I have never driven something that pushes the front so much. You can only really turn on a trailing throttle. No hard braking and turning. It just tucks the front and rolls. Try turning under acceleration and my jeep use a smaller turning circle.
Saying that, it is still running stock standard tyres and shocks/springs.
The next mods should help that.

Stay tuned......

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Pics of battery trays fitted.

I have some HXT 6mm plastic shrouded connectors on the way to replace the 4mm ones in the pics as they are getting a bit hot for my liking.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The Girls got new shoes.......

This shows why the handling is terrible....
Look at the size of that sidewall.

In case anyone is interested they are 40 series Proline Bowties on Proline wheels.

This is the first step to make it handle a bit better.
Hopefully take it out tomorrow to try out the new dancing shoes.....

·
Registered
559 Posts
Proline 40 series bowties on wabash wheels.

They should stick like the proverbial to a blanket.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yeah baby!!
Took it for a quick spin this afternoon...
Wow......it does turn.
What are the best tires for pine hills? Badlands, bowties or trenchers?
I think I might even have a set of moab's around here somewhere.

·
Registered
559 Posts
On an MT it really doesn't matter, personally I'm a big fan of the badlands, either MT's on LPR rims or the new 3.8's on traxxas rims.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I like the look of the Badlands tread.......but aren't they a bit narrow for a MT?
I think they are about 15mm narrower than the 40 series bowties and to me they look more like a truggy setup.
The Trenchers are massive.....they have about the same rolling diameter as the original
tyres on the MGT but are 25mm wider:eek:
I am trying to find a tyre set that has the tread patern like the Badlands but with the width and sidewall stability closer to the bowties..... oh and yeah, I like the 40 series Wabash rims for style unless you can get Desparados in 40 series or 3.8" but with 23mm hex

Impossible?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well......that didn't go so well........

Had a little play this afternoon at the Petrie jumps and got a bit muddy. :D

Found out the battery trays I have used are not up to the task.
I managed to break both off. The thread ferrules snapped off the tray body.:(
This dislodged one of the trays an fed the leads into the pinion/spur gears.

Might need to fix that......
Time to try and modify the vorza trays to fit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Batteries have been great so far. I have had about 20 cycles through each.
I will have a better look at it in the morning, I think I can save it.....needed new plugs on it anyway.
Also managed to blow a tire off the rim as well. All in all not a great outing.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
what brand where the battery trays?

might be worth looking at these http://204.186.93.64/BatteryTrays.htm they have another bracket 4 mounting them, could be very handy in your situation

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts

This is looking sweet, I have had good results with those tyres also, they stick well and dont usually roll of the rims to often.

This is a clear case of Yeee Haaaa. keep up the good work.

A drop of solder or two and she will be all good, might even spoil it with a piece of heatshrink

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
what brand where the battery trays?

might be worth looking at these http://204.186.93.64/BatteryTrays.htm they have another bracket 4 mounting them, could be very handy in your situation
They were just a heap generic type one...GV I think.
I should have known better...they are held on with selftappers and the riser posts just broke off after a fairly big stack.
I need to have a closer look at the vorza ones I have as they are seriously chunky strong but I maight not have the room to fit them.
Option B is to machine the bottom of the generic ones flat and use larger threads that go through the case with nuts and washers on them.
I have been a little distracted the last few days with a new toy. Picked up an 18R with Exotek chassis and a castle cm26 motor and dirt hawgs and am transforming it into a 18T with a 35amp ESC .
I did get to have a quick look at the MGTe and it seems that I have I managed to also break the wheelie bar.......bugger.
I was originally worried about the strength of the factory shell but so far it is holding up [email protected]@dy well. I have had it land upsidedown from a fair height with no cracks at all.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Well....it's been a while since the last update.........damn work!!

So what do we have?
GPM shock towers.
RPM A-arms
Shorter wheelie bar.
Mounted a single vorza battery tray(solid as)
I have had to go with a single tray for now as they are a bit too bulky to go down each side.
Because of that the ESC had to also move.
I think the next step is to custom make a pair of trays from delrin to fit.
Then I can bump it up to 6S.......

What's left?
Roll bar is a must.
Sway bars.
Battery trays.
Put the flag back on....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Just had another thought......
I have a complete spare rolling chassis and I notice that Thunder Tiger has released a Short Course Truck using the same platform as the MGT/S50....

:cool:

Not sure about the shell but I think it would be cool to make from my bits.
As for a motor........hmmmmmm, I have something different in mind.
Although I do have a spare 1717 sitting around here somewhere
Or if anyone has any thoughts of what would be a good motor to shove in there I am very open to ideas.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is there any chance you could be convinced to get a few of them mounts made up?
I know i would be interested in a set and no doubt others would be also for a reasoable price.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
That would be the problem...
If I had my own machine centre it would be no problem.
At the moment I have to use one of my suppliers it to make them would cost a mint.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts