Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings to all.
First and introduction.
My name is Damian and I have been playing with RC for the last ........well lets just call it 20 years. Most of the time was spent with gliders and control lines (remember those???)
I got into nitro buggies about 15 years ago last racing a Mugen MBX5 about 5 years ago.
About a year ago I decided to get back into cars. I had a look around for a while, then I went down to OZ-RC and they showed me a brushless setup.......holy [email protected]
Since then I haven't looked at another nitro.
Currently I have a RC8be, RC18t, RC18b........I think you can see a pattern forming here.
Which leads on to this project.
I had a couple of CC 1717 motors laying around so I had a bit of think of what to do with them........
Too big for the RC8 (just)
Waaayy too big for the RC18's.
Kept a look out on fleabay and pick up a brand new MGT 8.0 for small money...perfect.

Fresh out of the box.

Clothes off.

Non essentials gone

I looked around for some conversion ideas but alot of people seem to be using the original gearbox. I didn't like the idea of that as it looked like it would end up with too much weight at the back. I like the solid feel to the MGT chassis so I grabbed a spare RC8 center diff ( most likely go to a solid slipper later) and started taking measurements.
In theory the way I am setting the motor/batteries I should have a fairly even balance....but will see as this progresses.

I have done a sketch up of a possible mount as I want to keep the modifications to the chassis to a minimum.

The way it stands I will still need to drill and countersink 4 holes underneath to fix the bottom of the diff carriers.

Due to the size of the motor I will also be making a support for the end of the motor to minimise the amount of flex in the mount caused by rough landings.

I also still have to wait for at least one of my MMM's to come back from the states before I can really finish. But I thought some people may like to see the progress as I go.

If anyone has any ideas I am more than keen to hear them.

Damian

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Nice work mate, I see u love your associated cars to. Have a look in the mt nitro section, I'm sure someone else did a conversion to, I want to try a thunder tiger eb4 g3 out. Can the 1717 take 8cell lipos?

Keen on getting a rc8.2e ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I usually am pretty brand loyal. Before the MBX5 it was mainly Associated stuff, but when you are given a buggy to race what are you suposed to do?
The 1717 is rated at 6S but alot of people use 8S.The set up I am looking at using is 4s 2p. I may have to use a crappy Trackstar ESC to start with.
Flibbs did a conversion as well but for some reason only a couple of his pics show up.
I am not sold on the eb4 G3. I looked at it and it is just a buggy with big wheels on it. where the MGT /Sledgehammer have the extruded chassis rail.
Since I started this project I managed to buy another MGT.....mainly for the hop up parts that were on it.
Damian

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
my bad, i meant the mt4 g3, i think the trackstar is only rated for 5s to

nice truck, if u dont mind answering, how much did u buy it for? and the 2nd truck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry...I meant MT4 as well. It is an EB4 chassis.
I got the one in the photo for about 400 never started and still strapped in the box and the other one 150 as a roller.
Anyone need a gearbox??
I think 4S should be enough to start with on this build...after that we will see.

I forgot to mention, I designed this mount so it can be machined in one set up except for the drilling/tapping. And if someone wants the solid model or converted to 2D give me a yell.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Quick update....
I have been looking for a set of dog bones to suit as I want to keep spares as simple as possible.
A few measurements and a quick trip to OZ-RC and I have a set from a savage XL that should do the job nicely.
First problem....
The position of the center diff is a little bit further to one end than I had originally planned but I still have plenty of room to move battery boxes around to get the balance I am after.
As you can see in this render of the mount I have had to modify the carrier a little bit as it now sits in a narrower section of the chassis. I have had to cut down the bottom section to fit the extruded dimension instead of the machined section. Also the top chassis plate tapers in at this point and I have to undercut the carrier there as well.

Hope to start machining these parts this week.

Not sure on the battery boxes yet. I may machine them from delrin/acetal or pop down to the LHS to see what they have. I need 2 that will fit 4S hardcase bricks.

Damian

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just had a thought......hurt a little bit.
To the mods, there seem to be more and more 1/8 electric MT lately. Is it time for it's own section.
I didn't know which section to put this in so I just put it in the same as Flibbs conversion thread.

Or you could make it 1/8 MT and 1/10 MT only

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slight delay to the plans........
Our second baby arrived a bit earlier than planned so I am away from work for a few weeks so have not been able to get the parts machined.
In the mean time I saw a different style of mount that was very interesting.
The elite RC system.

I was thinking of using somthing like this but re-designing it to be able to use all 4 threads on the motor face.
Has anyone used on of these before and if so how do you find them strength wise?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quick update....
I have been looking for a set of dog bones to suit as I want to keep spares as simple as possible.
A few measurements and a quick trip to OZ-RC and I have a set from a savage XL that should do the job nicely.
First problem....
The position of the center diff is a little bit further to one end than I had originally planned but I still have plenty of room to move battery boxes around to get the balance I am after.
As you can see in this render of the mount I have had to modify the carrier a little bit as it now sits in a narrower section of the chassis. I have had to cut down the bottom section to fit the extruded dimension instead of the machined section. Also the top chassis plate tapers in at this point and I have to undercut the carrier there as well.

Hope to start machining these parts this week.

Not sure on the battery boxes yet. I may machine them from delrin/acetal or pop down to the LHS to see what they have. I need 2 that will fit 4S hardcase bricks.

Damian
Did you use a program called Inventor to design all this? Because it looks great! Can't wait to see this finished. Flibble's was a beast of a car, took out all of the cars in MT class at phdr at least once :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Solidworks for drafting. The best program I have used for designing. Way better than using 2D. I have used Inventor once but we use Solidworks for work so it's a bit of a no brainer for me.
For some reason I can only see a couple of the pics from Flibble's build thread and I think he used a CC1515 2200kv motor(not certain) So hopefully this motor doesn't rip it to pieces.
Damian

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot to say I am tracking the weight of components removed and added but I forgot to check the weight balance before I stripped it down. I am aiming for a 50/50 balance.
Damian

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use Solidworks for drafting. The best program I have used for designing. Way better than using 2D. I have used Inventor once but we use Solidworks for work so it's a bit of a no brainer for me.
For some reason I can only see a couple of the pics from Flibble's build thread and I think he used a CC1515 2200kv motor(not certain) So hopefully this motor doesn't rip it to pieces.
Damian
Flibble ran a Hobbywing, can't remember exactly which one though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok....where were we.
Back at work and while I was away I changed the mount slightly.

Not that you would notice....apart from the colour.
Sent the models around the corner to a little CNC shop as My current posistion doesn't give me access to CNC gear at the moment....Working on that one.
Just got them back.

And a quick assembly.

Now just need to find the time to trial fit the parts.
I have to pop into one of the LHS to look for some battery trays as well.
Then just sit and wait for my ESC's to come back from Castle.
Damian

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a bit longer than a piece of string......
The problem is in the packaging. This mount has to get around a few fixed parts and that determines the shape, so I have had to model the chassis as well.
Realistically the design time was only about an hour including the measuring of the parts.
I forgot to ask my machinist how long his time on it was. Probably a couple of hours including programming time.
No economical if you don't have access to the right gear.
Damian

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK.....
trial fit up.

Had to drill out the 3.5mm holes to 4.5mm.

Motor in

Tight fit:cool:

Battery placement....very close to 50/50 weight distrubition.

After I get my ESC back and mounted and battery trays in hand I can posistion the trays for the balance that I want. I may make it adjustable.....probably not.
Damian

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A picture of the arrival of my twins......

Finally made it back to OZ. The ones I sent were beyond repair.
Before

Need to pop over to the LHS and find a couple of battery trays and maybe something for the ESC to mount onto.
Oh and I had better get some more 6.5mm fittings for the ESC.
Damian

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
nice, that was 1 toasted mamba

back on track with the conversion then?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.