Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for the great article. Hopefully It will help many people on the site.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Ive never used anything other than os#8 runs purfect. maybe in summer its too hot but not for the current weather

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
AussieRCBasher said:
wot truck or engine is it?? cos a os 8 is way too hot for a savage

I think pluc choice is independant of what truck its used in. its engine, fuel and climate dependant, the fact its in a savage means nothing
. The os8 is what im using in my 28.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
well i run a r5 cold and 20% and it runs great. and even a 1.7V super cold plug for 30+ weather. os 8 is only meant for 5 - 16% nitro and 12-18 engines. its too hot for 21+

edit unless running in snow! and waterEdited by: AussieRCBasher

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey guys, while on the topic of different heat glow plugs having
different effects, does anyone know the OS equivelant of and Odonnel
100 glow plug ?? Its whats reccomended for the Fantom.

Regards

Dan

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
if os8 is not suitable for 21+ engines then i think 99% of us are using the wrong plug

·
Registered
109 Posts
im with AussieRCBasher on this one. he knows whats up alright.

bigger engines prefer cooler plugs

higher nitro percentage fuels prefer cooler plugs

high compression engines prefer cooler plugs

now considering most people here use large displacement, high compression engines, and run ~20% nitro, id say that being one of OS's hotter plugsthe #8 is too hot. the A5 is a good choice.thats what i run

just my opinionEdited by: tchinghar

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
husky said:
if os8 is not suitable for 21+ engines then i think 99% of us are using the wrong plug

yeah, I use OS #8 in everything... racing 21s with #8 running on 15-35% in 1/8ths. And that was in Asia too.

Although I did cook a #8 last time, the coil came out white - I'm blaming the tank/leaning problem.
Just an old plug for run-in though, so I put a new one in.

But be careful - each engine has different compression even between same models. What works for one might not work for another, you might have to muck about with the shims under the head to get it nice.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
yep tried everything down to an R5. nothing has worked as well an the 8. I only ever run with 20% nitro if i bumped it up to say 30% i could understand using a cooler plug. Each to his own

·
Registered
793 Posts
tchinghar said:
im with AussieRCBasher on this one. he knows whats up alright.

bigger engines prefer cooler plugs

higher nitro percentage fuels prefer cooler plugs

high compression engines prefer cooler plugs

now considering most people here use large displacement, high compression engines, and run ~20% nitro, id say that being one of OS's hotter plugsthe #8 is too hot. the A5 is a good choice.thats what i run

just my opinion

You might be right but im happy with my OS# 8's

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
yup i used a A5 and found that is great for the 25 engine. i hav used engines from force 21, 25, rossi 21, hyper 21 8 port a even a picco 26. i used all from A5, R5, MC9, rossi R7, enya 6, dtx gold racing and a p7s. all cold plugs. i tried a os 8 in the force androssi very hard to tune and blew within the tank. all engines running 16 - 20%. the engines hit temps from 250-320F with the os8. with the cold plugs maxx i would hit was 260F. i know how to tune a engine since i hav got 50 liters out of my engine and its still pops wheelies.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Damn damn damn looks like i will have to try a different plug - and I hate the LHS here!

Is there anything else that might cause these types of problems?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
husky said:
maybe try an A3 theyre a med-hot plug

iff im correct the A3 iss hotter than the os 8. it goes

a3 - Hot

8 - med hot

A5 - med cold

R5 - cold

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
ok here it is finaly found it out of 23 gigs worth of RC stuff on my comp. (should really sort it out in to folders.)

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
I know that I used the OS 8 in my S25 when I had it and I also use it in my Picco... both run fine and temps well within range.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i used mccoy mc59's to break my s25 in, and now im using mc8's. ill probably switch over to nova rossi c7g or c8g once the weather gets very hot, but that will only be to keep it running cool without changing the tune.

I would personally recommend the McCoy MC8 as the perfect plug. I know the MRC sells them, and its what HPI recommend. From my investigation I can tell you that the OS8 plugs are not the right plugs to use, as they are slightly to short, which will cause a change in compression in the engine, among other things.

Of course, at the end of the day, its each to thier own. Please dont see the need to flame thehell out of me for suggesting that using OS8 plugs is anything less than a nobel prize winning effort.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.