439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Does the shape and aerodynamics of a body shell REALLY make that
much difference?

OK Maybe the huge wings might, but really, can the shape of a NSX
really make an improvement over the shape of a GTR bodyshell for
instance?

Maybe it does, but I really cant see it....

·
Registered
158 Posts
no but a corvetter c5-r will have a difference over a mini cooper or a ford focus, for racing purposes put for recreation not really

G

·
and the NSX due to how low it is....but id go for style...i mean if we
where in it for popularty contest we'd all have TC3's with stratos
bodies

Nismo

·
Registered
761 Posts
yeah or savages with hummer h2 bodies

if your gonna be just bashing around dont worry about the style worry about if you like the look of it or not

G

·
yeap..man..i wanted to keep my R34 body on the micro nice....but a
small crack started to turn into a bigger one....then it ended up like
this

but after some super glue and some other bits....

did well me thinks...

HE IS BACK FOR MORE>>MUAAHAHHAAHAHA!...ahem!!

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yes, body shape & model does make a huge handling difference. Some have better "steering" (good for tight tracks), others are more stable on the straights (large tracks).

Then there's the different ways & positions you can mount the rear wing... also the extra spill plates and you can also cut vents into the wing. Or just use a wing off a different model.

Even just mounting the same body but 5mm more forward can improve your front end grip. That's why you see the pros all carrying multiple shells - they might look all identical & painted the same, but they're not!!

Back when TCs were just starting out, yah we just ran whatever we thought looked good. But these days you just gotta run a 'racing' shell just to keep up with the pointy end, otherwise they'll lose you on the corners & straights.

Boring boring boring Stratus.
Ah well, killed 1 in 1st run - pretty good effort even if I say so meself!

Mazda6 next... just waiting on paint.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone know what the RX8 HPI body is like and where i can get one
from in tassie and how much they are?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
HPIs are usually around A$50-60 up here on the mainland. The RX8 is a pretty recent announcement and I haven't seen it appearing in the shops just yet. (Might also be issues with supplier, wouldn't be unexpected.)

Was quite surprised to see the Protoform Mazda6 appear so quick, it turned up before xmas 2003 -just couple of weeks after Proline announced them in US!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK

I couldnt bear a mazda 6 body though :S dont care how well they work
;)

Woulndnt mind a GT40 or something though.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
It really depends what you want to do with your car.

IFMAR racing rules generally ask for a 4-door sedan in the touring car classes; usual choice is the various Stratus or Alfa 156 shells. Mazda6 is so much more better looking than those 2 & I'm told work just as well. (I grabbed 2 myself when I saw that 1st batch arrive, even before we found out it handled good.)

Sportscar & LeMans type bodies aren't allowed in Stock & Mod, but the racing clubs usually don't mind them being used novice classes like 540. Guess there's not much benefit from aerodynamics when one's not going fast enough!

If I could find a good one of these for 190mm TCs, I'd be running them full time...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hell yeah gimme f40 any day!

The local club doesnt seem to have any restriction on bodies, people
seem to have all sorts of things - imprezas, gtrs, falcodores, integra,
volvo etc

what is a Stratus?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
azenis said:
what is a Stratus?

Don't ask me, I just trash 'em.
Like I seen a Chrysler 300M before either. Maybe they can be seen on the streets in Sienfield, Friends or Queer Eye - but I don't watch that closely.

If I had choice of a yankmobile... I wanna big yellow New York Taxi!!!

Already got a French taxi - the Pug 406 I ran for TamiyaCup. Got the colour wrong though, paintied it light lemon yellow when it should have been white.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yep, Proline has the GT40... as shapely as a jellymold though.

Proline also does the Gallardo & Murcielago and a pretty nice Enzo though.

Got HPI's Diablo... but somehow it handles funny. HPI's McLaren F1 drives sweet, but I think its long out of production. Tamiya's Modena is nice to look at & handles well too, ditto NSX 2002.

Tamiya will be bringing out the Porsche Carrera GT soon - yaaaay!! Lining up for that, definitely. (saw the real thing yesterday at Melb Motor Show, wow)

nismospeed said:
nice..i saw you win that off ebay zoomer, along with a TA02 i think it was..

Nismo

Yea, I was waiting for ya to outbid me, where were ya ??hahaha...

Won the F40 with the 1st bid - amazing. No one else bid! (looks pretty good in the pix, but in reality the body is pretty scrappy. Methinks the pix was taken of the angle/corner showing the Least damage...
Spent all GP day Sunday stripping/cleaning/rebuilding.)

TA02 is worthless, but that BMW M3 is another collectable Tamiya -very high demand/prices just for the bodyset. My 1st bid was overtaken pretty early on, ah well.

G

·
so you won the TA02 though..it was my first car the TA02...was unstopable....

nice chassis too...but outdated now days

i got a F360 for the micro, and its so low...have to have the
elctronics right in the middle, and no wires anywhere..but its fat
too.....

Nismo

·
Registered
332 Posts
hmmm...so if i do race in a club then i'll be using my focus shell; got the stickers on and ready to race...but probably still need more upgrades...oil shocks...carbon shafts...radio crystals, wheelsetc

what racingclass would my car be in anyway? details? is my car fast enough? car weight?

when racing does your car have need to look like a race car?

and i'm looking for another shell hmm...what size shell will fit my car? i'm looking for, r34 skyline vpecII, evo VI/VII
i prefer to have real 4wd cars with my 4wd tl-01..heheh...nsx, integra looks weird doing 4wd drifts

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
nismospeed said:
so you won the TA02 though..

No, it reached nearly $300 - not crazy enough to pay that kind of $$ for an old used car.

I wouldn't leave it to go for < $200, but one's gotta set a personal limit on how high to go otherwise auctions can just go outta control.

it was my first car the TA02...was unstopable....

For a runner, some parts are getting very hard to get now unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts