Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum here, have been following it for a week and know you guys have a welth of info on this stuff.

I'm looking to buy an off road truck, and the savage has taken my attention at the moment. I currently have a super hornet, but I find it really limited in that you need good flat hard surfaces to drive on. I would much prefer to go to the beach or out to the farm and have some fun there instead.

I have heaps of q's, but i can read the formus for most of them, really I'm just after some good advice and local knowelege.

So feel free to praise your beast, or tell me what you should have done etc.

Cheers! Morphy.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Morphy,

Welcome to the forum. I think you have come to the right place.

Most of our members with MTs have Savages - that means we have good "in-forum" knowledge, but we also have a couple of guys with Tamiya Terra Crushers, and I think even an MGT and Tmaxx around the traps.

What's you budget? The Savage is a great truck, with heaps of hopups. The associated MGT is also getting great reviews, albeit it will be marketed as a Thunder Tiger MTA4 in Australia. HPI support in Australia is actually prety good now days, and blokes like MRC MOdel Car Parts in Canberra are stocking more and more stuff everyday at great prices. His service is great as well. He may even have a Savage or 2.

What do you want to achieve with your truck, how much do you want to spend, what else is important to you? Answers those questions and I am sure that we can help.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i don't know if I want to race the sucker yet, but i want the option. i want a truck that i can take out after work and have some off road fun - make a few jumps or just take it out and rip up the turf!

I'm looking for something with a lot of reliability. I'm not afraid to tinker with it, and would like to build it up from kit form, just don't want to always be waiting for parts and spending lots of money down the track.

I'm keen to spend a bit of money to get something that will last and keep me entertained, but i'm thinking the aus retail on a savage is too much for now. It would be nice to have change out of a grand.

I guess i really need to get to a race meet and check out a few things - see them in their glory, but any advice woould be great!

Morphy

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and just some other things like how long does it take you to chew through a tank of fuel? And can you save money by making it yourself?

Cheers, Morpheus

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
tank drive time will vary depending on how you drive, but an average run time for my wasp is 10 minutes. With the 21BB i got over 15 mins. What do you mean by build it yourself? If you meas buy parts individually then no its definatly not cheaper. If you mean buy the ss kit and biuld it then its a little cheaper, but it doesn't come with radio gear.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
du the kit! I want to know it inside and out - half the fun is in building and tinkering with it as well as racing around....

Should i be going for the Savage SS kit (oh saw one today on the shelf for $999) and a few hop ups or should i look at something else?

Morphy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Definately go the savage mate you wont regret it! try to get one with the Picco motor (WASP) they hammer. Everything you described earlier that you wanted out of a truck the savage excels in.

It jumps its reliable and it can take a floggen!!

good luck mate.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i think u should get an x-factor!! aka xtreme maloo!! great truck!! i highly recommend it! savages are also good!! but coz im an X-man i love the x-factors!! btw.. model engines sells the maloo xtreme!

ryan

G

·
Greetings everyone!

I have only ever owned a Terra Crusher and is having fun with it. I say it's almost bullet proof though under-powered. I've spent a small fortune doing it up and the last step is to get the Epic engine.

So the best thing I can say is go for one with the most powerful engine you can afford. Once you get your first monster truck, mate, you'll catch the tinkering/upgrade fever... and at least you won't be worrying about being under powered.

Unfortunately, with the price, it's the usual you get more for more money. Cheaper overseas but you get slapped with $100 duty starting at $250 value. The hobby shops can almost ask whatever price they want down under due to the law of supply and demand. Occassionally, you get lucky when they have a sale.

Good luck and have fun with whatever truck you end up with.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I going to go a Savage SS and want to import it to save $$. Now all i have to do is wait for Tower to get some in, how long have they been out of stock for?

Is anyone elsewaiting for tower to get stock?

Cheers, and thanks for a great web site!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Morphy,

How long has Tower been out of stock for - about 5 months.....

I think the back orders are taking most of the stock each time they get some in.

There is one on ebay currently for $700 (I think)

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don't laugh i'm thinking about it - just need the assembly manual!

Seriously i want a 25 without a radio in kit form - aka the ss. I already have a radio gear that will do for now and i love to build things (or destroy them).

Maybe thats why i became an engineer...

Morphy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts