Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... And yes i'm a newbie

I'm about to order the savage ss kit and a picco 26 engine.
But i'm a bit worried on the price, Does $850au sound right??

Next question, Whats the picco engine like? Are they reliable? Or is there a better engine I could get when I order the kit?

Ove to radios, I used to have a 1/10 tourer with an JR XR3 radio but since sold it to a mate. now he wants to sell it. This radio will do the job fine yeah..??

Thanks All
Edited by: Kyl3

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Kyl3,

Welcome to the forum.

Couple of Q's back at you....

Where are you buying it from?
What servos do you / would you have with the JR XR3?

The price sounds about right considering you have the Picco in there. I run the Picco .26 and love it. Reliable, easy to tune and very strong. Considering the price, I don't think anything touches it. If you want alternatives as a comparison:
<UL>
<LI>Picco .26 - 2.7 HP and 38000 RPM - US$179
<LI>Fantom .27 - 2.8HP and 42500 RPM - US$199 (new engine - not alot of reviews or road tests - so it is a little unknown IMHO)
<LI>Sirio .27 Monster Horsepower - 3.1HP and 39000 RMP - US$389 (Ouch)
<LI>RB .28 - Unkown output and RPM - they do not publish specs - but will be significant - Price - TBA but will be as Ouchy if not more so than the Sirio.</LI>[/list]

When you look at these the Picco starts to look even better. Particularly as it is a commonly used engine and most people are very happy with it.

As for your radio - I would say no probs. Just make sure you have a significantly torquey servo for the steering. Would recommend a Hitech HS-645MG (133oz/[email protected]) as a minimum. Go the HS-945MG (153oz/[email protected]) if you have the cash (this is their new coreless jobbie). If you are absolutely insane go the Hitec Digital HS-5945... it is absolutely awesome (180oz/[email protected]).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

ChrisEdited by: AUSRC

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Racingline hobbies in sydney is the place. Dropped them an email said they can get it.
I was assuming i'd only be able to get the kit with the hpi engine...but his email response said otherwise..

Might see if they can get the fantom...

Re servos, it's only got the stock servos at the moment. But a high torque servo and 6v batt pack is @ the top of the priority list

Thanks for your speedy reply

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Kyl3,

No probs - we are here to help.

Regards,

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
If youre a newbie, not sure if you will enjoy learning to tune the picco. I had no real probs but many others havehad manytroubles. There is also a lot of pre run work and sealing to do on the picco. You might have no probs at all but it is not the best first engine. The nitro star 25 engine is nice and easy to tune as an option.

I would also buy your JR back if you can, it will work nicly in the savy.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
husky,

My S25 was far more painful than the Picco. While I had to clean the rubber shavings out of the carb, that was the only thing out of the ordinary. I did not seal the carb or backplate and have no leaks whatsoever. It was a dream to break in and has held tune beautifully.

The S25 wouldn't idle breaking it in andwas alwayshard work keeping the temps right in my experience, and I have had plenty of experience with Nitro. As you say though - everyone's experiences are different.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Husky, Nah just a newbie on these forums

Used to race 1/10 nitro tourers. Got bored with being stuck to the tarmac

Radio wise, i was either buying back the xr3 or buying a new xs3...

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Kyl3, I have the JR XS3 and it is excellent.

I helped Skidd run his S-25 in in Thursday and it was a tonne easier than my picco. Tunes easy and ran nice and cool. Just my experience though. The S-25 also started much easier on break in than the picco. The picco pull start will probebly break before you get it run in also.

cheers

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh
perhaps im best off spending the lil bix extran and getting the xs3 then

I can only get the SS kit without the engine... so i have to go for the picco or something else suitable...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have purchased the SS with a picco about 2 months ago.

I think i paid way to much for it, but it doesn't matter now.

I have the HS - 945MG does the job nicely.

The picco is a dream, follow the below link and you won't have any issues.

http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic9791.html+seal

I have also purchased the following items for it

Dual brakes

3 shoe clutch

5 cell hump pack

dual tank mod

on/off switch re allocation mod

steering mod

brake/throttle mod

diff upgrade

roto start - broken two pull starts already

and a lot of spares,

one bearing, spur gear stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Kyl3,

As I said earlier, like Seanie, my Picco was a dream. To take it one step further, I broke it in with the rotostart and I am still on the original oneway. If you know nitro engines, the Picco will be easy.

I think one of the issues with the ealier Piccos was the low speed needle that shipped with it allow for "All or Nothing" and this gave them a bit of a reputation. When I got mine it shipped with 2 needles (Silver and Black) the silver one being the one I used and having a taper to a much finer point. With this needle it has been great. A mate recently bought a Picco, and it appears that this is now the only needle it ships with.

Broken pullstarts and busted oneways, I can honestly say I have never had an issue.

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Im sure that what ever engine you choose, with all the help available you shouldn't have too many problems anyways
. Where are you getting the SS w/o engine?

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Thanks for the link, but i couldnt find the savage w/o engine or radio, just the one with radio and picco for $880. I cant believe how cheap the savages are now!!!!!!!!!!!. LMAO when i saw the price of the RB WS7 here in australia $725 after 7%off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
. The RB 28 from the states is cheaper than that by far, anyways $880 for the savage is heaps cheaper than what i paid

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
I was just at Hobbyman today and noticed that they had a Savage SS on the shelf for $940.00 with the Pico .26 in the kit.

Things that make you go... MMMMmmmm.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
MMMMmmmmm!!!!! Im in the market for savy no. 2
The SS w/o engine or radio sounds good though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.