Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of changing to this fuel from massive mads 444. has anyone tried it and what do you think of it?

cheers

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
same here ive just bought some, will tell you when i do.

by the sounds of it mark is very happy and apparently it matches or betters hb444 in every way possible with no downsides so why not?

i think theres a power increase aswell.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I have a tub of it to use as well. I just finished the last of the HB444 I had over the weekend, so now it's on to the A Main fuel. I'll post up how I think it goes

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
look forward for the reviews in the next few weeks guy,

cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
i bought it and used it and i love it!
haven't used 444 before but i changed from AT.
there was huge amount of difference.
More power, easy to tune, Stable idle, easy to start and more.

·
Registered
680 Posts
most of the guys on the OCM team are using it with excellent results.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm thinking of changing to this fuel from massive mads 444. has anyone tried it and what do you think of it?

cheers
LMAO Massive Mads ! hahah good typo

FYI on the new A Main

Just quickly , it is an all synthetic oil base . No castor, so this eliminates gum build up and reduces discolouration. We are using one oil so this makes tuning more consistant.
Positives

Stronger idle
Consistant tune
More RPM and Torque
No Residue
Much less engine wear
Good for on or off road applications

The Synthetic we chose is not hygroscopic so it has the protective qualities of castor without the negatives. it is also 100% bio grade oil . Less harmful emmmisions and enviro friendly. yes everyone thats used it loves it and we are really pleased with its results .
We also appreciate your support and we hope to give you as much support back in the way of product knowledge and advise , 24/7 !

Cheers guys !

MM

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
With this fuel Mark, what are you views on using ARO. I know we've gone over this before but I want to know what you suggest from the point of view of the person that actually makes the fuel. Currently I ARO after every run no matter if I'm going to run my RC the next day or next week.

What do you think?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well what after run oil is , is a non hygroscopic synthetic, ie a synthetic oil that dosent attract moisture . What it does is coat the internals and protect them from moisture and corrosion ( in theory) that can happen when the engine is sitting .. what attracts the moisture is methanol , coupled with the reaction when nitro is burned , leaving nitric acid ... these two elements can cause corrosion , the degree of which is determined by the material quality of the engine.. ie iron content of the crank and bearing etc..

So ... what you SHOULD do after your day is done is run all the fuel out of the engine, ie disconnect the fuel line from the carb, run the engine on the box till you cant hear it pop anymore . If you are using a standard fuel with a Glycol based synthetic ( 90 % of hobby fuels ) then yes you should use an after run oil . Glycol based Synthetics are Hygroscopic ie attract moisture to varying degrees.

With regard to using A Main if you follow the procedure above you will not need to use an ARO if you play on a weekly basis , if you intend to store the engine for longer than 2 weeks then i suggest you top it up with some ARO just to be safe.

Please note regardless of what fuel you use you SHOULD run the fuel out of the engine completely.

Cheers MM

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, I always empty fuel tank and turn the engine over on the box until it won't 'pop' as you say anymore. Been doing that to every engine I've had and it's worked so far. I was more curious about using ARO but you've answered that for me too so thanks Mark.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

cheers
LMAO Massive Mads ! hahah good typo

MM
lol i only noticed it now :D, but I'm half right. you have to be mad to have a small office and sit next to all that nitro :D.

by the way mark, so on the HB444 you got 4% caster and you changed that to a Synthetic and called it a main, is this right.also up until now i was under the impression that if you run all Synthetic the engine life would be reduced and for ARO, what do you say for using ATF( auto transmission oil)

cheers

·
Registered
569 Posts
The A MAin is completely different fuel , we started from scratch , the oil content is different too..

Re Synthetic oil VS Castor for protection... There are thousands of qualities of Synthetic , the one we chose has IMO and in tests Superior film strength to castor any day of the week , it also has a much higher auto ignition point meaning it wont burn off in the combustion process.. This is Key for superior engine protection. Castor has been for years an amazing lubricant , but it has its draw backs .. 1 is that its such a high viscoisity .. it can cause drag on internals reducing RPM .. it does tend to re coegulate and gum up an engine.. it does also add a honey colour to internals , some people dont like that ..

M

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The A MAin is completely different fuel , we started from scratch , the oil content is different too..

Re Synthetic oil VS Castor for protection... There are thousands of qualities of Synthetic , the one we chose has IMO and in tests Superior film strength to castor any day of the week , it also has a much higher auto ignition point meaning it wont burn off in the combustion process.. This is Key for superior engine protection. Castor has been for years an amazing lubricant , but it has its draw backs .. 1 is that its such a high viscoisity .. it can cause drag on internals reducing RPM .. it does tend to re coegulate and gum up an engine.. it does also add a honey colour to internals , some people dont like that ..

M
and your thoughts on ATF as after run oil.:)

·
Registered
569 Posts
ATF has very similar properties to to most ARO's IMO TTY VM BRO ...

Mwahahah !

·
Registered
700 Posts
I picked up some of the Amian fuel at mm this arvo and will be running it this weeknend at maitland so i will let you all know how it goes.. And i must say i am exited by it :D

I should also say that mark showed me how the synthetic oil used in the Amian fuel has incredable film strength at high temps well above that of castor oil and it will not even burn at temps aplied to it above 700 degrees c by way of hitting some of the amains oil in a tray with a blowtorch without it igniting or even smoking etc

I am really looking forward to using this castor free oil as i personly know how good some of todays sythetic oil qualities are and could never understand why it was never aplied to rc nitro fuel mixes on its own without castor

I am certian i will see a longer lasting engine that is not getting gunked up with gummy castor crap.. And no doubt a more stable idle/ tune and a whole other bunch of benifets that are to technicial for me to understand :p

Dave

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey Dave i re did the test today and managed to get it to about 750 deg C before it started to smoke ..

·
Registered
230 Posts
750 deg C... wow, I think aluminum melts at about 660, talk about overkill . . lol, Ps can we buy this fuel in brisvegas?

1 - 20 of 373 Posts