Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

Sorry if this is not the correct section to be posting in, im looking for some advice.

Iwant to get back into R/C cars and imagine times have changed alot since the days of Mad Caps, Frogs and Jet hoppers!

Im after getting a 1:8 size nitro on road car. Im wondering what the better brands would be to purchase in a kit form? and how easy it is to buy various bodies, ie like nissans, mazdas etc to fit the 1:8 size? finally does anyone know much about the HPI Proceed?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Howdy!

NitroMazda said:
Iwant to get back into R/C cars and imagine times have changed alot since the days of Mad Caps, Frogs and Jet hoppers!

No... not really.
not as much as you'd think.

You'll have to be a bit more specific as to your "1/8th" thoughts, as:

1) you've got the serious 1/8 roadracers like the HPI Proceed, Serpent Veteq & 9xx, BMT, Kyosho Evolva (coming soon for 2004! picture below), Kyosho Fantom, Mugen MRXx etc etc.

These run with the Lola/CanAm type 'wedge' shells and are the Formula-1 of the RC world. They go faster, lap faster& handle better than anything else out there... but of course they also need a F1 budget to do so. (Have not seen any 'sedan' type shell on a 1/8 racer for, oh, 20+ yrs - canAm has so much better downforce.)

However they're purely built as serious racers... low to the ground & pretty lousy for mucking about in your backyard (yeah, we've tried). So unless you live next to a track that runs 1/8s, you could be disappointed.

2) then there's the Kyosho Landmax... & also Tamiya TGX.

Landmax is a giant touring/rally car originally based on the Inferno offroader. Comes with huge 1/8 sedan bodyshells, scale rubber tyres... and they go pretty good too - you can use quite a few Inferno options on them also, if wanted.

Then again... if you don't MUST have a sedan shell, just buy an Inferno 1/8 buggy for not much more $$. Best toy for backyarding if monster trucks ain't your thing.

... or if you're even vaguely considering anything from #1... why not go crazy all the way and go 1/5th scale?? Costwise they aren't much more than campaigning a 1/8th, probably cheaper in the long run considering they sip unleaded and their rubber tyres can last a long while.

·
Registered
596 Posts
depends on what you mean by 1/8th scale. tamiya 's tgx and tgr are refered to as 1/8th by tamiya with a 300mm wheelbase. Kyosho do a super ten series chassis which is phisically the same size as tamiyas with a 280mm wheelbase. HPI also do a super size chassis which is interchangeable from 280 to 300 mm wheelbase. all these cars usually run .15 size engine

Then there is the proper 1/8th like the serpents, HPI proceeds and the like which are belt driven with 2 speed and .21 size engines which cost substantially more. Info on the proceed can be found here:

http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/proceed/proc-m.htm

the proceed seems to be extremely rare here in australia

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
NitroMazda said:
...does anyone know much about the HPI Proceed?

When we first saw the car previewed, (what was it, 1999 or 2000?) we thought it was a pretty good design and on par with anything else out there then. However since its been out, it didn't find much track success and I'm not sure if HPI has done much further development on it. And their competitors have long moved on...

Locally HPI support is *dismal*... and so the car (if you can find one) is an orphan.

As for the rest... Kyosho has been at it since day dot, Serpent @ 20+ yrs not far behind. Mugen, BMT etc are relatively newcomers... but lately there's some even newer 'budget' unknowns come into the market - some evenoffering "RTR" 1/8s! Unimaginable...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick response on this.

I have actually just completed a show car a while back and getting itchy fingers to build something again (hence the need to buy a kit). So i think its going to have to be alot smaller scale, such as a Nitro Kit car.

Im not keen on the off road style buggies or monster trucks and really prefer the on road touring cars.

I suspected the proceed was f1 style of nitro car from looking at the HPI website. when you say f1 budget im gathering huge dollars are payed for these things. My primary use would be more than likely roads, car parks etc.

Ido like the look of the super nitro on the HPI website, however if parts supply and support is low then maybe thats not the way to go.

Essentially im after something of relative 1:8 size. on road touring style. plenty of grunt and ability to have upgradable parts. Also something where replacement parts are obtainable.

What are your recommendations?

Cheers

·
Registered
596 Posts
zoomer said:
Locally HPI support is *dismal*... and so the car (if you can find one) is an orphan.

thats a understatement and a half. last year i waited 9 months for a set of A454 super nitro suspension arms.

·
Registered
596 Posts
How about a kyosho V1 RR Evolution? Its 1/10thscale but looks like a scaled down version of the Kyosho evolva. Parts support is ok.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
haha, good to know.

Kyosho's Landmax is probably your best bet, if you're not into racing. Its big, its scale, its got 4WD with hopup potential but even just the standard kit already performs pretty well. Comes with a Kyosho 21 pullstart engine, they don't come any bigger than that. Fantastic backyard performer - as you'd expect from Kyosho, offroad World Champs for over a decade.

Drawback is only Kyosho makes a Landmax 1/8th. There's only about a dozen models in the range I think.

For more choice, a 1/10 tourer isn't all that much smaller & there's lots more different brands/models & options. And they are actively raced too, if you ever want to race it in the future.

HPI SuperTen is a bit of an orphan too, not half due to lack of retail support. Its essentially a 'stretched' version of HPI's 1/10 Nitro RS4 - not a bad car itself - but the benefits don't really scale up that easily. Honestly I'd think a Tamiya TGX/TGR would give you less trouble & a lot easier to find parts for... but also this 'super' size isn't popular on the local racetracks.

Yeah, full-on 1/8th racers are pretty high on upkeep. Tyres, fuel, parts, kits - nothing comes cheap there, but can't complain for something with 3hp in a 2kg package. They're built for speed, not economy.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
jiggen5354 said:
zoomer said:

thats a understatement and a half. last year i waited 9 months for a set of A454 super nitro suspension arms.

Hah, I broke a HPI shock shaft in 1998...!

... and we're STILL waiting!!!

Totally Unacceptable when its a car to be campaigned for an entire race series.

Yes, we've crossed words with ex-distributor Bolt-On before; like that did any good.

Lord knows what the new one is up to too.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
jiggen5354 said:
How about a kyosho V1 RR Evolution? Its 1/10thscale but looks like a scaled down version of the Kyosho evolva. Parts support is ok.

Look into the new FW05 too. Strangely in 1/10 Kyosho has both belt-drive (V-One) and now new shaft-drive (FW05) cars, both running at the same time.

Also ask if you'd like a pull-start engine - most handy for play RCs. The serious racing 1/10s like the V-One-R/RR can't take pull-starts, so you need an external bump starter or starter box. (= additional expense, one more heavy item to carry etc etc)

Kyosho V-One-S is the 'sport' version for 1/10, comes with pullstart 0.15 donk.

Kyosho also has a SuperTen FW04, shaftdrive larger-than-standard tourer that's the same size as HPI SuperNRS4 and Tamiya TGX/TGR. Think they can all share the same size of bodies.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the tgr/tgx, superten series from kyosho and the hpi super series are all the same size are as are the bodies

the kyosho is strictly 280mm in terms of bodies

Tamiya is strictly 300mm in terms of bodies

HPI do both 280mm and 300mm bodies as all you have to do is flip the rear arms to change wheel base.

HPI do 3 super size cars. 1 electric one and 2 nitro ones(on road and rally). the nitro onroad is belt driven, while the rally is based on their MT truck which is shaft driven. all 3 hpi super size cars use the same suspension arms, knuckle and up rights.

DSI now deal with HPI gear. They get their stuff from HPI japan but never have enough to go around according to the perth hobby shops i go to.

·
Registered
761 Posts
zoomer said:
jiggen5354 said:
zoomer said:

Hah, I broke a HPI shock shaft in 1998...!

... and we're STILL waiting!!!

Totally Unacceptable when its a car to be campaigned for an entire race series.

Yes, we've crossed words with ex-distributor Bolt-On before; like that did any good.

Lord knows what the new one is up to too.

Funny that, i ordered 2 shaft thingys for my savage last week it took 2 days to come, and i ordered some screws on thursday or friday and they should be here soon but didnt ship as it was the weekend. Also this was from my lhs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Im leaning towards the Kysho SuperTen FW-04 and the Tamiya TGR. more so the Kyosho because its got the pull start. Are these readily available to buy in most hobby shops?

Are there many bodies in 280mm and 300mm wheel base?

I know you can get hundreds in the 1/10 size. Id be really interested in getting a Rx7 shell in the 280 or 300mm?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nope.

Not many firms make any RX7 now. Used to be a Frewer one (a FD) but don't think they make it anymore, now its just ABC that makes the jap cars (FD, FC) - and its hard to get any ABC stuff outside of Japan. They ask top dollar too.

HPI makes a new RX8 but!!

HPI also makes a few SuperTen shells, whether you can find them here is a whole different matter. Only leaves Kyosho and Tamiya.

FW04 has been out for 3-4 yrs now but its still a current model. Shops that carry Kyosho should be able to source it for you if you ask them.

Or perhaps, you might be better off with a std 1/10?

·
Registered
596 Posts
If it were me then i'd be going the standard 1/10. being more common parts are easier to come by

As much fun as the super nitro rally is, no one other than a mate of mine has a super sized car that i know of around me. super size bodies of any size are hard to come by here in perth. so far i have only come across 1 subaru body here in perth and it was going for 80bux.

if youhave to go super size then the fw-04 gets my vote as well. aside from the terracrusher i have not been overly impressed with nitro cars by tamiya.Edited by: jiggen5354

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
jiggen5354 said:
if youhave to go super size then the fw-04 gets my vote as well. aside from the terracrusher i have not been overly impressed with nitro cars by tamiya.

Yeah, big TAMIYA fan here too but really the TGX is just an overgrown TG10, and the TG10 has nothing too special about it except it works. TGR looks a lot better than TGX but basically does the same job.

That said, all Tamiyas do come with excellent instructions and are easy to build; Kyosho & HPI come second and usually need a bit more attention paid.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah im starting to think as nice as the big R/C are maybe the 1/10 size could be the way to go.

I noticed HPI have anr40 i think this looks okay. I have seen the HPI Rx8 and Rx7 shell and they look pretty good and would fit this model i think.

What are your thoughts on the Tamiya T10? If im going to go 1/10 scale i would want to try and get the best brand, also with the ability to put better parts on such as exhaust, motor, suspension etc if possible.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nah, TG10 is nothing special; TG10R is a totally different car (based on TGR racer) but still you'll bepaying a lot of $$ for it. Better value with a V-One-R/RR.

btw, WHERE do you live anyway?

There's a couple of HPI R40s haunting the tracks up in Sydney. Its a pretty nice car and on par with the Serpent Impulse & V-One-RR, but if you can't get parts then even the best car is worthless. After our sour experiences, I don't think I'll be risking my $$ that way anymore even if I did live in NSW.

I'll still buy HPI shells (when/where I can find them) but...

HPI makes 200mm (wide) shells, they'll fit any nitro 1/10 touring car 200mm - which is ALL of them, except Tamiya.

Electrics are all 190mm. Tamiya's TG10/TG10R are 190mm also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im from Adelaide Zoomer.

The serpent impulse looks like a good one aswell. What dollars would we talking about for one of these as a kit?

So buy the sounds of it the Serpent impulse, Kyosho V-One-R and Tamiya TG10R are the race spec kits that are all upgradable?

Is the FW05 the same size as the V-One-R (200mm wheel base) only difference being that the FW05 is drive shaft not belt driven?

That leads me to my next question
(yup i have a few), whats better direct drive or belt driven? My guess is direct drive

Cheers

1 - 20 of 46 Posts