Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yeah, that's been doing the rounds lately.

Yokomo is planning on marketing a special RC 1/10 just for drifting, I think it comes with special manufactured tyres from hard plastic but it will have adjustable traction by means of adding or taking off grippy bands to the grooves in the wheel. Should be out sometime this yr.

Thing is with Drifting... its so SLOW around the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not geting one of those yokomo drift cars...

the novelty will die out in the end....they producing there own line
off cars, when you can make the tyres youself and put on any old car!!

look at what they did in the vid, ordaniary plastic pipe, put over a
rim, on all 4 wheels, more challenging to drive, and slow??.....they
look pretty quick considering they use plastic...just look at that
white one where it got sent into the wall....it took off pretty
quick.....

im going to make some and report back once i have....

im not going out to buy a $400 car just because it has special wheels..no way..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Rubbish that its quick... on a track of that tiny size, a good lap would be around the 8-10sec time. They take forever, going sideways.

Unless you have access to a lathe, cutting PVC tube into the exact sizes is harder than it looks. Using just a hacksaw will give you unbalanced rings, which will cause severe vibrations. (There are many guys out there wondering if Yokomo will sell their 'ring' tyres separately.)

If you just want to just try it out, just wrap any of your rubber/foam tyres with many layers of PVC electrical tape or masking tape or gaffer tape, does the same job; it'll last long enough for most ppl to get bored with it.

Or if you have enough power in your ride, just use Tamiya kit slicks & kit radials. They're as hard as they come, perfect for parking lot bashing.

Only trouble with RC drifting is... you don't have a handbrake. So the only drifting you'll be doing is "inertia drift"... go too fast into a corner, flick the tail out.

In real life you wouldn't drift in a 4WD, only RWD. RWD gives you throttle control to adjust your attitude mid-corner, but RWD in RC makes for a very twitchy uncontrollable car especially with no-grip tyres.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im going to try the tubing anyway.....looks like it would be fun......isnt that what rc is all about???
...controlling those cars with plastic tyres is harder than it looks??..

nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Well, if you've got a way to cut them neatly & equally and they're well balanced, do make me a set too will you?

Hard to drive? No, not really, not if you're reflexes are up to it. Maybe if you're reaching old fogie age then maybe that will become harder, but if you're of the Nintendo generation then it shouldn't be an issue... yet.

Nothing harder than a Hornet or GH2 at full power on gripless tyres, hey?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hoppers..errr dont get me started on them..arghhh

it would be harder than it looks, 4wd, wheels spinning on plastic, easy
spin outs..those guys in the vid make it look so easy, they would have
had practice, a lot off it...

make you some too??...hmmm i dunno, ill see...

its not hard to cut when you have the right tools
....still
though it will be fun to see how long you can keep it sideways down the
street.....YES..i got it from that driveway to that next one..WAHOOOO...

Nismo

Edited by: nismospeed

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Actually was just thinking... why don't just bolt on buggy 2.0" or 2.2" wheels and run them without tyres? Would be the same thing - plastic on tarmac.

Will have to go dig the junk wheels box next time to see if there's a usable set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wouldnt be the same..think about it, with the tubing you have a bigger
area compared to the rims......the rims will be running on the outside,
much more wheel spin and less traction, and steering mate!

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Steering is your enemy, with that little grip you'd dial that down to 20% or less even.

No, the old wheels I'm looking for are flat - made for sponge tyres. We used to run 1/10 buggies on tarmac, so we had sponge tyres fitted on them. Basically just wheels minus the ribs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahhh yes, might have to find a pair......hmmmmmm....

well give it a shot and let me know how it goes, thanks

Nismo

·
Registered
358 Posts
Even if the only junk wheels available have the tyre mounting ribs, then just do donuts on a rough surface until they are worn off :)

I might have a go with tape around the tyres of my 1/8 nitro buggy - could be interesting ;) Just remember to wrap the tape in the same direction as rotation, otherwise it will peel the tape off instantly.

Cheers! Oggy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, stil though.....$300 for a whole drift car just for tyres is beyond me...

ill make me own tyres me thinks..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Ogier said:
I might have a go with tape around the tyres of my 1/8 nitro buggy - could be interesting ;)

Wouldn't be needed I think... my ancient Inferno already has more than enough power to pull 4-wheel drifts on any dirt square, and the 1 time I ran it on tarmac that was the end of all the spikes on the tyres.

With most buggies, you can also screw up the brake balance; set the front brake to max and have no brake for the back, you can better initiate drifts like that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hmm, maybe I should have gotten an Inferno. :(

I only really run my buggy on tarmac at the moment, with treaded rubber road tyres and even in the wet it's extremely hard to lose traction through power. Dirt would be another thing, but it's too damn hard to clean after running on dirt so I couldn't be bothered :)

Now the brake balance thing is an interesting idea. If I was to set it so that at idle there was a tiny bit of front break being applied, then simply getting off the accelerator while cornering should induce a big slide :)

Oggy.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
But generally speaking, IC cars are harder for fine throttle control compared to electrics. Electrics have instant AND proportional response.

Nitro engine carbies are designed for on/off throttle considering that is how they are usually used... usually don't bother with mid-end. Then there is also the clutch to consider- this might not grab fully until there is enough revs, which might be 30-40% throttle.

Buggies also have 3 diffs. I've put an LSD for the Inferno middle diff that I can screw down hard to remove all diff action, but you'll be better locking the other 2 yet. Not too many balldiffs for 1/8 buggy, most adjust their gear diffs with stiff oils. (Guess you could use epoxy glue instead of silicone oil...)

Trying to balance grip vs overcoming traction is hard enough, don't have to make it harder than that even. In real world that's like driving a car with (1) a slipping clutch and (2) a hairline throttle. I have before, and its hard enough just to drive it smoothly -bunnyhopppp!- let alone do silly things with it.

Just me 2c.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey everyone i am new to these forums and would like to say hi, one of my freinds recently showed me this video and i think its rather intresting, they would have ot have great controll to be able to do it. I myself have done a bit of drifting i own a 180sx and have gone to a few drift/lesson days heaps of fun. So naturally i am quite intrested in setting up a car capable of drifting, if somone finds a good way to mount the pvp pipe and cut it please share thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys,

A friend and I made a drift set up each ,but we used 65mm pvc pipe.

This way it fits straight over a setof take offs.

Cut the pipe a bit bigger than what you need ,and trim it up on the rim.

I put 2 drops on the tyre to just hold it in place ,you dont need to drown it in glue! IT WONT COME OFF!!

Once the glue drys ,put your car on a stand and with some one holding the car and working the throttle trim the pipe with a file ,dremel ,or grinder.

We found a 540 is heaps of power to make the cars work, I did try a stockthena mod, and it only drained the pack quicker.

We managed to get 30 min out of a 3000 pack. I doesn't have much load so the packs last.

As for driving it,it's the most fun I've had with RC car in a long time.

Just use the same drift tech as you would a real car.Edited by: Oldskool

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.