Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one know where i can get my hands on some 40mm 5v dc fans? I know they exist.12v ones are easy to come by. just have trouble finding the 5v ones

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have 12 volt ones but i am after 5v ones. dse and jaycar only list 12v fans. jay car do have a 60mm 5volt fan but its too bit for what i have planned, that and the perth store don't have any in stock

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I have some 40mm 12V fans, think they came with Pentium-1 coolers. Yes they run fine @ 5V *but* sometimes they don't want to start spinning from standstill. If you nudge the bladesthen yea they'll keep humming.

·
Registered
472 Posts
are you makeing a motor cooling stand???? if so can you post how it worked etc? also an idea..why not jus get a 9v battery and run it off that..if u got a chunk NIMH one say 2100 MAH minmum itd go pretty hard out

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Sounds more like an on-board fan for the motor...!

Like here --> http://www.rc411.com/howtos/95/index.htm

For stationary use, I just wired up some 4" case fans leftover from PC modding - I stuck on 4 nylon 1" mobo standoffs and they lie flat, blowing Upwards. These are top-quality ballbearing units that I overbought a ton of; they're are so silent yet pump quite a bit of air along. I run them off either 12V or a 7.2V pack, they're happy.

I use 1 for cooling the motor & ESC when the car comes off the track. I also gota pair of them stuck together (wired in parallel) and that's just the right size 4x8" for a battery pack to sit on.

4" case fans are can be found dirt cheap from any PC shop. Or why not buy some good ballbearing ones to replace the ones in your PC, then recycle the old fans for RC trashing? The BB fans are so much quieter than stock sleeve-bearings, I even replaced the one in the PC's PSU (but don't do it unless you know what you're doing around 240V AC!!).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am mounting a fan over the top of the comm. Not going to bother with the esc as its doesn't get hot regardless of what motor i run with it. gotta love futaba.

as this is going on the evo 3 i only have 7.2 volts to play with hence the reason i wanted 5v fans instead of 12v. I am going to solder the fan to the battery plug on the esc, that way i can turn off the electronics on the car and the fan will stay running. i race at a club so the radio has to go off after my race.

I will post pics of my handy work after i get my hands on me mates digi cam

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finally got around to taking pics. I have wired it up so that i can turn the electrics off after a race yet the fan will remain running while i marshall the next race.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the car is under wieght at the moment so thats not a problem. its more useful as a cooling aid after a race. I found some 5v fans from rscomponents and they were not cheap

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
When running the Monsters here we've found that they run cooler if you leave the Tamiya heatsink off.

Heatsink probably blocks the huge can-side holes, guess they really do something!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Cosmetic decoration.

(yo' biarchin' ride can't hav enuff bling, bro)

Besides, nearly ALL of the heat is generated by the armature's windings& the comm/brush interface. A motor would be better cooled by a good airflow past the arm & brushes, but since its spinning it does move some air all by itself.

That's the 1 main benefit of brushless motors -- the windings are on the Outside, fins on the can work very well.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts

Finally saw one in real life!!

That AE one is actually a 30mm fan... 5V, 0.17A.

Anybody bought one of these from anywhere before??

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
been looking for one of those for ages and have never found one for sale in oz. bit late now as i have a 5v 40mm fan installed already

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yeah, the AE one had to be bought from USA sold by Reedy, priced at US$29.95 - not cheap.

Friend bought 2; stuck it in his Losi running a Fantom Monster (doesn't block the can vents) and it managed to fly off when he smacked something hard. Unfortunately the impact managed to yank out the wire to the fan, so that 1's busted.

Was wondering if there's any place that sells just the 30mm fan alone at a decent price, could do with a few spare of those meself. (There's one blowing on one of my HDDs, 30mm is the exact height of a 3.5" HDD.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts