Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought one on these 2.4Ghz Wireless Spy Cameras off ebay. $66.10 AUD delivered. Not too bad I reckon.

Just like this one that has 10 hours to go:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14957&item=5705583447

Wonder what it will get to....

Why, I hear you ask? Maybe you have already worked out that it isn't to spy on the neighbours.... let's just say I am already working on ways to mount it in the Savage.

9v Battery powers the Camera. Similarly if you don't have 240v for the receiver, a 9v Battery can be used. You get a number of hours out of these batteries. Plug it straight into the Video Camera's "Video In" port and hey presto - Savage "Race Cam".

I give it 2 outings before I smash it......

Regards,

Chris

G

·
maybe case it in a metal box, and attach somewhere in truck faceing out windcreen that has a hole cut out..

but sounds like it would be fun...

2 runs...hmmmm, ill have it blown before i even hit the road..lol

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
LOL... must be something about us RC guys. Morphy and I were talking about this very thing last time we seen eachother. That would be way too cool and I'd love to see some video of bashing a savage from the drivers seat.

I seen Zoomer posted that he has driven a camera car at the velodrome before... I'd be interested in seeing some of that video too if it's readily available.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
yeah we've been playing with those cameras for over 12 mths now. They're cool toys and very reliable too... have accumulated 3 units so far.

Case damage from rollover etc is only superficial but I would protect the lens. 3M Clear tape or the helmet visor ripoff sheets might be better. But the most worrying fragile part is the bit where the power wire comes out of the case... I've reinforced it with glue etc otherwise the wire will start breaking. (My '2004' models have the powerplug "built-in" as part of the newer bigger case - much better design of RC use.)

Skidd said:
I seen Zoomer posted that he has driven a camera car at the velodrome before... I'd be interested in seeing some of that video too if it's readily available.

The video I surrendered to a friend many weeks/months ago who had bought a new u-beaut PC with DVD burner, he was to compile it with the 'external' video from a few other guys... yeah, still waiting to see the finished thing myself.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Velodrome used this (smaller older cam):-

At an ausmicro meetup at TFTR, this is the later larger model:-

Edited by: zoomer

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
LOL... Mmmm now how will those cars handle a 10 foot jump?

It'll be interesting to see how Chris mounts his camera... I was thinking inside the roll bar looking out out the windscreen.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Video quality is only so-so from the little things. The tiny lens does a good job for its size and the CMOS sensor is amazingly sensitive. But the weak link is always the wireless hookup & dropouts... in a bumping/grinding little car, there's a lot of vibrations going on - would be pure hell for the RF circuitry.

Have not tried it on a gas car, oily fumes & even more vibrations?

Screenshots @ 74km/h:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm in negotiation for a metal encased water proofcammera just like this:

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Morphy said:
I'm in negotiation for a metal encased water proofcammera just like this:

Do you need the IR illumination for a reason? I know that Radio Parts have some good metal case / waterproof ones not much bigger than the 10mm (or so) lens. Great solid looking jiggers.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Nar I dont need the IR - just that this thing feels indestrictable!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Woha! that things huge! and yeah pricey for something thats only b&w! Looks good quailty but...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Do remember that you have to mount the camera 'high' to get a better perspective of what you're filming. Also looksnicerif you have some bonnet/fender showing in the bottom of your frame.

The height + mass really affects the centre of gravity... so handling suffers. A big heavy camera makes things worse to the point of undriveable - that orange Mazda6 just kept rolling over with the camera, but without it the car was planted.

btw I am a camera freak
as long as I've been an RC freak, so it comes naturally. This is what we did in 1991 with the "very latest in technology".

(and *again* damned I didn't get to keep that tape!!)

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Do note, THIS thing (and most of the cameras sold locally) ARE NOT wireless.

As an aside... not sure if most of those wireless cams are legal for Oz RF laws. They come in 800mHz, 1.2GHz, 2.4GHz etc. Dare say probably not!

With all those "larger" models eg with IR LEDs, weatherproof cases, built into Nokias, lighters, teddy bears etc... they are ALL the same chip camera anyway so the picture quality will be the same as the smallest version if not worse.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts