Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a 1/5 scale smarteck Traveller buggy. Is there anyone else on here who has one or a Marder?

·
Registered
761 Posts
If i had the money id get a 1/6th or 1/5th, or even 1/4th Monster truck. I agree with skidd, they look like a lot of fun and would be quite cheap to run compared to our 2-stroke engines and its specialty fuel.

1/6th, 1/5th and Quater Scale cars, buggies and trucks all run on ordinary petrol so yes you could merely go down to the servo and fill it up and drive off.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't forget to add some 2-stroke oil to that fuel!

Yes, they're generall a 22 or 23cc 2-stroke motor, just like your whipper snipper/weed wacker.

They sound one hell of a lot better though thanks to the tuned pipe!

There's a 1/5th buggy that races at PDNR occasionally in the Monster Truck class. He's bigger than the rest but keeps away from them all as much as possible. He hasn't been able to go anywhere near his top speed, but it can tear down the main straight!

It's only rear wheel drive and on bitumen is a great drift machine - lots of weight to keep the back end swinging around corners.

With something like that, until its popular, things like wheels and tyres might cost a lot, and god knows what you have to go through if you break anything!

I see that XTM in the US have one just like the Smartech that is on the modelengines.com.au website. I'm hoping that they gain a lot in popularity cause they sure look like fun to drive.

later, Oggy.

·
Banned
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The smarteck buggy was only $1350. 2 stroke 23cc. Only ran it half throttle today to run it in (Not theres any mention of running in in tne instructions!) and it rips! Doesn't scream like a 21 but is probably going faster.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
SG... I'm with you on that one mate... I'd go for a 1/5th 4WD Monster Truck in a heartbeat.... if I could find/afford one.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Don't think anyone makes 4WD anything that uses the 23cc engines. Big donk right in the middle of the chassis makes it hard to get the driveline to the front.

Should drag you down to Lilydale one time Skidd... go watch the big scale tourers in action. Love it when they have to weave all over the track to get some heat into their rubber tyres on warmup lap.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I saw a 1/6 scale buggy with the 23 cc engine at a Sydney offroad track
last weekend, some guy from Dei Rossi hobbies was bashing it. Its fast
and noisy, but had zero traction.

Click HERE for model. (Scroll down to Carson Attack)

Tail swapping on every corner. Too much grunt and rear wheel drive, on
an offroad track, its quite near impossible to keep the rear steady out
of corners without really smoothing out your accelerator (slow take off
from corners). 2 wheel drive also meant on every corner it got stuck on
something, officals had to go run to it.

Pretty much was a spectacle, most of the people that came running to
see it bash, smiled and giggled at the driver (apparently the shop
owner or something).

I think those 1/6+ scale cars need their own special tracks to do them justice.

Edited by: Sherbrodski

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
zoomer said:
Don't think anyone makes 4WD anything that uses the 23cc engines. Big donk right in the middle of the chassis makes it hard to get the driveline to the front.

Should drag you down to Lilydale one time Skidd... go watch the big scale tourers in action. Love it when they have to weave all over the track to get some heat into their rubber tyres on warmup lap.

Now that would be fun.

My wife has family up in Kyabram (Near Shepparton) and we go out through Lilydale when we go there... so I have driven past that track many times wondering what events were staged there. It sure looks like a great set up.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Sherbrodski said:
I think those 1/6+ scale cars need their own special tracks to do them justice.

You want 1:1 reality or RC virtua-reality?

If you've ever been onto a 1:1 racetrack, you might be surprised how relatively small and narrow they are, compared to the cars & speed they get up to. Four cars' width is a luxury on most 1:1 race tracks.

In the RC world, you've got tracks 8-10' wide compared to a car that's barely 8" across the bonnet. If you want that kind of relativity for your 1/5th, you'll need to rent out a 1:1 racetrack for it.

·
Banned
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ran it today full throttle for the first time. Power is impressive but top speed isn't as much as I expected. The motor sounds like theres a lot more in there, just needs the right mods to bring it out.
Edited by: mike

·
Registered
240 Posts
mike said:
Ran it today full throttle for the first time. Power is impressive but top speed isn't as much as I expected. The motor sounds like theres a lot more in there, just needs the right mods to bring it out.

Bloody hell Mike that could do a bit of damage at the BMX track.....The kids would be running for cover...!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do it man!!!... JUMP ITT!!! YOU know u GOTTA do it... FOR THE FORUM.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.