Australian RC Forums banner

Removing Paint from PC/Lexan bodies

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  bugginmad1 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've had a look through the fourms, and was wondering if anyone had some updated info on removing PS Tamiya paint from a Polycarbonate/Lexan body without damaging the plastic by coulding/fogging or making it more brittle?

I've tried the usual things like metho and turps, but they have no effect. I'd like to just remove the paint without having to get a new shell, but I seem to not be having any luck.

#2 ·
ummmm dont know if you can remove it once it has cured....i know it it hasnt cured you can use sum DOT 3 brake fluid.....put it on...leave it for a couple minutes then wipe off.....try it but iunno if it will work

#4 ·
it will work but brake fluid makes your plastic go a foggy colour, a bit like the look of an empty milk glass.

if you paint it a dark colour you wont notice, but if your doing something fancy (especially chrome or bright colours) you might notice it more.

also, if you miss the slightest dot itwill show up when you put down the next colour.

i'd only do it if you had a really ugly rc body that was brand new and you didnt want to use it and couldnt afford a new one. if its 2nd hand, or average looking i wouldnt bother.

#9 ·
Removing paint, just the question I wanted to ask!

So does using turps leave the lexan cloudy?
I haven't used any super good branded paint, so I'm pretty sure that turps will take it off. If the lexan does go cloudy, will it be a noticeable thing if the colours of my car are black and red?

Anyways, cheers!

#10 ·
Well, at long last I have returned to report on my attempt at removing paint. It was a miserable, terrible failure lol.

I've tried a bunch of stuff and it all failed. Tried some crazy citrus stuff from the US which failed, tried that 3M plastic cleaner that someone mentioned to make it all better, but all it did was harden the residue onto the plastic.

So my final advice to you is, don't F**k up the paint job in the first place :D

That said, about 3 days after I made my original post, I ordered a new shell lol . Thank's to everyone who responded :)

#12 ·
I can vouch for acetone melting , I put some on my stampede body , made lunch for the kids had a coffee and then rremembered , oh **** , run to manland and as I wiped it off , it literally crumbled in my hands like a biscuit , bugger , less is more and little by little , lesson learnt , doh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.