Australian RC Forums banner

Best top end pipe for .32 motor?

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  cjays66 
#1 ·
G'Day, I have a .32 engine installed in a Jato.

I am trying to get the best top end pipe for .32 motor.

I was looking at the Onfa pipes. Haven't had anything to do with these pipes but I see thata they have released a new pipe. The JP-3, how is this compared to the JP-2 pipe in regards to the top end performance?

I have the gearing down to 1.4 form the factory 2.25, as I am trying to get it to break into the 100-120kph.

#2 ·
a 086 style pipe gives good all round performance and seems to let engines rev freely.
i use the Novarossi 9886 on my engines and love it.

#6 ·
You're a crazy individual my friend, trying to squeeze a bit more top end out of a jato with a .32 in it, she'd be a handfull already!
The ofna pipes (jp's) are great, I run a JP-3 on my mach .28 and it works well, I like the finish it has as well, may not seem important to you now but when you get it you will see how easy it is to clean compared to polished pipes, I like that about the ofna pipes.
Also, hi there hooked up, probably the first yank I've seen on the forum, welcome mate hope you enjoy our fine forum.

#9 ·
G'Day, I have a .32 engine installed in a Jato.

I am trying to get the best top end pipe for .32 motor.

I was looking at the Onfa pipes. Haven't had anything to do with these pipes but I see thata they have released a new pipe. The JP-3, how is this compared to the JP-2 pipe in regards to the top end performance?

I have the gearing down to 1.4 form the factory 2.25, as I am trying to get it to break into the 100-120kph.
Hey there mate. With a .32 you have to remember that these engines are going to have tons of torque but not much in the top end with any pipe you put on it. Most .32 are not going to rev very high as their port timing is designed around low end torque. Something in the middle would be your best bet. I used to have a jato with a LRP Z.28R spec3 in it. Even this engine had enough torque in it to make lunch of the transmission gears every 10 speed runs or so but it also had a decent amount of top end. I used a few different pipe header combos but basically you want to go with a shortest header/pipe combo. 2 stroke engines really do relay on their pipes for the behavior they'll exhibit. The key to understanding how the exhaust works on these engine is to understand that it is all about controlling the pulses from the combustion cycle. Longer pipes take longe for the pulse from the combustion cycle to travel through it so it is better suited for low end power where the combustion cycles are slower. For top end the pulses coming from the engine are very fast so a shorter pipe header will work better. Don't get too hung up on the size of the stinger. Bigger is not always better. In fact not enough back pressure can really hurt your top end.
I used on my Jato a LST2 header which I cut in the centre an removed about 1.5cm from it and then joined it with a coupler. For the pipe I stumbled across a RD logics pipe for the big block revo. The pipe is designed to be a rear mount pipe for the revo so its quite short. All I had to do then is to make a wire hanger for the pipe and attach it to the stone guard on the side of the Jato.
I managed to reach 101km/h with my stock 3.3 and that is running it very lean with a standard revo dual chamber pipe. (the blue one that comes standard with the older revos) With the LRP I couldn't go much above 110km/h. My best was a once off of 113km/h but it was not the engine or the mechanicals that were holding me back. It was the tyres as they would balloon like crazy and make only a smallest contact patch with the road. This made it really hard to control it and keep on the power. Usually it would spin out and then flip and cartwheel down the road causing all sorts of damage to the Jato. Eventually I got some Jaco foam wheels from the states and also had a friend of mine make me up a set of metal transmission gears. On the first outing with the new set up I had a radio glitch with the standard am radio. The jato took of with half throttle down the road and i had no control of it what so ever. Ended taking on a F150 and came off second best. There wasn't much left of it.:mad:
I hope you have better luck with yours.
</IMG>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.