Australian RC Forums banner

Hi from Simon in Queanbeyan

669 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  SimonQbn 
#1 ·
Second day on the Forum. Like many blokes I'm not good at reading instructions, so I'm just stumbling about, so here goes.

I was down at my local park, getting my daily exercise, when a SUV pulled with mom, dad and child aboard. When they emerged dad was carrying a radio controlled truck along with his son's push bike. The light bulb flashed on. What a great antidote to the tedium of walking round and round the oval / velodrome! But I have no knowledge or experience. Where to start? What were my options? How much would I need to spend? And so on. I went home and hit the internet and Youtube. In two days I had ordered a Wltoys 12427 (what's the difference from a 12428?). Then I found out that there is no way that the battery will last for an hour's walk, so I bought a couple of upgraded LiPo batteries and a cheap battery monitor. I tend to the obsessive so I have just managed to resist buying an upgrade for the controller and metal driveline components and oil filled shocks - at least until the vehicle gets to me. I turn 70 in two weeks but I'm behaving like a 7 year old, and loving it.

I have a mate who is my age and should know better, but when he found out about my folly, his reaction was: "I'll get one too". Mind you, he is learning to fly as his retirement extravagance, so maybe I'm not so crazy after all. My wife has suffered my addiction to cars and motorbikes through 43 years of marriage. A saint.

I have belonged to fora before and enjoyed them greatly. I tend to be a lurker - in my experience they are best left to people with something of value to share. But you never know what might happen if I get my confidence up. I belong to the Ulysses Club and the MX5 Club of NSW and greatly value the company of like-minded people of different life experiences and outlooks, but who share an interest in (love of?) things that float my boat.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.