Australian RC Forums banner

Re-entering the world of RC - help on what to buy

835 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  killerkev 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on what to buy. My situation is this. I have previously owned a 1/8th scale Nitro Buggy (Hoboa Hyper 7 from memory) and would race against my mate by setting up cones or a makeshift track in the park. We would race against each other for a while and then we would attempt jumps. I really enjoyed it but had a lot of issues running Nitro (perhaps not as mechanically minded as I was hoping) but I did love the noise.

Anyway, I have decided to go electric this time and am really looking for advice on what to buy. I have a one acre property where I can setup a little track and possibly some jumps. My mate is buying something as well and we want to race each other but not looking to go competitive at a club or anything. I also have a 13 year old son who I would like to get involved to (I've heard some controllers allow you to limit speed).

I have done lots of reading and watched lots of YouTube clips but am getting confused. I kind of think there are better options than a buggy - as from what I can understand these are more designed for competitive track racing (although we still ad fun on makeshift grass track). So I think I am looking at a 4wd stadium truck, truggy or monster truck.

What I want: I liked how controllable the buggy was. Watching videos of guys running monster trucks seems that they are flipping constantly and generally not really under control. However, they seem to really love jumping and that looks awesome. I don't know how much fun we would have racing monster trucks against each other??? Stadium trucks and truggies seem like they might combine a bit more control-ability with extra durability for jumping?? I want something that is easy to find parts for in Aus and something both my 13 year old son and myself (42) can enjoy. I am starting from scratch so need charger and batteries. My budget is max $1k for everything which I'm guessing would mean at least 2 batteries.

I know this is a long-winded post and I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read and offer any suggestions based on their own experience. thankyou

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.