Australian RC Forums banner

Battery Advice - I must be doing something wrong!

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  strex 
#1 ·
I’m flying blind here (Excuse the pun) and would appreciate some advice and help with regards to batteries, especially Lipo’s and NiMH’s.
Over the last few years I have gotten the kids into RC buggies, Planes & Boats and have purchased numerous batteries. Due to the dangers of charging Lipo’s, I have made the effort to charge all batteries outside, undercover just in case. However, as time goes by (6months+) these batteries may not be used for sometime, either way they all seem to be failing. They either have expanded and cracked their casing or when charging after 10 minutes I get ‘Vol Cell Error’ on the charger.
The chargers that I am using are the Turnigy Accucell 6 from Hobby King, I have two of them. I connect the output red & black (HD) to the battery and using a monitor cable (Thin/white connx) back to the charger.

However, I bought a boat that came with its own Lipo battery and charger – The difference being is when I charge I connect via the monitoring cable only (Thin) not by the output (HD) red & black cables.

I am confused as when I connect all my other batteries to the chargers I use the red/black HD cables & the thin monitor cables – Is this correct?

How do I confirm what batteries are 2 Cell or 3 Cell? In some cases they may be marked on the casing but sometimes not? Is the charger smart enough to select the right mode?

How do I charge them? The reason I ask is that I usually use quick charge, is this correct? What voltage should I select, if it is not marked on the battery?

What is the best way to store them if they are not being used? Do I use the storage function on the charger? Being that I have a multitude of different batteries they can’t all remain ion ‘storage’ charge, I have to alternate them.

What is balance mode for?

What is Discharge mode for?

How long should batteries last?

To obviously charge NiMH I select that mode on the charger, but can the batteries remain on the charger indefinitely (In some cases I have dedicated NiMH chargers)

How should I dispose of dud batteries?

Are Hobby King batteries reliable?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Balance mode is for charging each sell or Cell in your LiPo. If you don't balance your LiPo battery it will not give you full power after a time. So you must do it after sat 5 charges.

Discharge is for removing the total charge from each sell or Cell. I NiMH batteries do get a memory in them and every so often you discharge them so they give you their full time.

LiPo batteries can last for years if you do the right thing with them. That is don't fully charge them up and not use them. That for sure stuffs them. When you get home from a run or fly you should charge them up in storage mode only that will help the LiPo have a long life. Only charge up the ones you want to use the next day and if the day turns out no-good recharge the in storage mode to keep them in good condition. If you see that they are bigger then they should be. Cut off the red and black leads and put them in a bucket of water over night. But don't put them in your rubbish bin. The water kills them.
Hope this helps
Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.